Shining Force Exa interview

[quote]Shining Force EXA Interview
January 5, 2007 - SEGA’s Shining Force series has been around for some time now, having first premiered on the Genesis and then Saturn. After the company decided to take a software-only approach and develop for what were previously its competitors, SEGA updated the franchise and brought it to the PlayStation 2 in late 2005 in the form of Shining Force Neo. Its follow-up, Shining Force EXA, is currently scheduled for release this March.

We had a chance to fire off a number of questions to the game’s producer, Yoichi Shimosato, to see what’s in store for fans of the series. Here’s what he had to say:

IGN: The Shining Force series has been around for quite some time now and has evolved and changed a great deal. What can you tell us about how Shining Force EXA moves and progresses the franchise?

Yoichi Shimosato: There were three “Shining Force” titles released for the Mega Drive (Sega Genesis) and Sega Saturn; these games featured a turn-based, tactical RPG battle system. When bringing the series back on the PS2, we decided to keep the aspects of having comrades-in-arms venturing out onto the battlefield together, but we also wanted to modernize the game mechanics, increasing the tempo and making the gameplay more dynamic, and so that was our basic working concept when designing “Shining Force Neo” and also for “Shining Force EXA.” With the release of “Neo,” we were happy to see that fans reacted well to the new system we’d created, and we were also glad that we were able to bring in new fans who hadn’t necessarily played the original Shining series.

For “Shining Force EXA,” we’ve tried to expand upon the game system we’ve already created and improve things, such as putting together stronger visuals and putting together better conversations and relationships with the party members. We hope that fans of “Neo” will like “EXA” as well, and, of course, we hope that the appeal extends to new players as well.

IGN: How is Shining Force EXA connected to Shining Force Neo?

Shimosato: The game system in “Shining Force EXA” is an expanded version of the one seen in “Shining Force Neo,” but the world and the characters are all brand-new.

Of course, there are some recurring elements, like the different races that inhabit the world, that players will recognize as familiar. Things like centaurs and robots have appeared in the Shining Force series since the very first title on the Mega Drive, and so we’ve kept those thematic elements intact for this new title.

IGN: What can you tell us about the storyline?

Shimosato: The story is set on a continent that is divided up into a nation of Humans and a nation of the Magnus, and these two sides have historically always been at odds with one another. The main story, however, follows a group of outlaws not affiliated with either nation, who use an ancient mobile fortress, known as the Geo-Fortress, to put a stop to this conflict. There are two main characters: a hot-headed young man named Toma, and a more calm and cool-headed girl named Cyrille.

The plot follows along in the tradition of action-oriented anime and manga popular in Japan. Fans of the work of Hayao Miyazaki, or films like “AKIRA” should hopefully appreciate the sort of Japanese-style action-adventure storyline we’ve put together.

IGN: The Geo Fortress aspect sounds like a pretty interesting addition. How does it work in the game?

Shimosato: First off, the Geo-Fortress functions as a home base and also as a town where the main characters live. This is where the characters do things like power up their skills and purchase new equipment.

In combat, the Geo-Fortress acts to support the party with additional functions: there is a cannon that can be used to attack enemies out on the battlefield, and there’s also a radar system that adds more auxiliary support in allowing the players to find things like hidden treasure. Conversely, the Geo-Fortress is also a potential target for the enemies, and so there are magical barriers and defensive robots that come into play when other party members are forced to defend their home turf.

To us, it almost feels like the U.S.S. Enterprise from Star Trek. It’s a concept that we’re pretty sure has never been done in an RPG before.

IGN: We’re told that players will be able to customize their Geo Fortress in a number of ways and essentially adapt it to their play and character style. What can you tell us about this, and just how in-depth does it get?

Shimosato: The Geo-Fortress has a number of facilities, including a cannon, radar, barrier, and robot factory.

The cannon allows the players to deal massive damage to enemies near their current location; the radar can show players where enemies might be lying in ambush or where treasure is hidden; the barrier adds defense to the fortress when it comes under enemy attack.

When fighting defensive battles, robots that have been constructed will enter the battlefield along with the party and will act automatically. There are different types of robots, including ones oriented for defensive and offensive strategies.

There is a type of item in-game called “Core Metal” that is used to improve each of these functions. Each function has 10 different levels that it can be advanced through. Therefore, players have a choice on whether they want to focus their tactics and strategies on offense or defense, and they can develop the Geo-Fortress accordingly.

Also, at different points in the story, the Geo-Fortress will gain the ability to change some functions by switching to different modes, such as “Cannon Mode,” “Search Mode,” “Recovery Mode,” and others. Changing modes will result in different support effects coming into play on the battlefield, and they will also alter the relative offensive and defensive capabilities of the Geo-Fortress.

IGN: How much management do you need to keep up with?

Shimosato: Naturally, if the player is bogged down with too much micromanagement, that spoils the enjoyment of the game, and it also interferes with the fast-paced and dynamic gameplay inherent to a real-time Action RPG, and so we kept those factors in mind when determining how the fortress mechanics would work.

Also, if we allowed the fortress to change too much, we were fairly sure that we’d never be able to fit so much variation into the game code and still be able to actually finish making the game. (laugh) Even just the main room where the players speak to and switch between different party member characters was a big challenge from a development standpoint.

IGN: Can you tell us how switching back to defend your Geo Fortress will work? Is it possible to set up automated defenses?

Shimosato: While the controlled hero and their party members are wandering about the world, defensive battles can start in one of two ways: they happen sporadically over time, or they happen at specific points in the storyline.

When a defensive battle starts, the game switches over to the Geo-Fortress, almost like changing a TV channel. The action cuts away from the adventuring party and focuses then on the fortress and the party members left behind. The remaining hero gets to make a party with available members, and they then go out and fight the defensive battle alongside their defense robots in an attempt to repel the enemy attack.

IGN: What sorts of different missions can we expect to see?

Shimosato: There are varying mission styles, such as requiring the player to defend vital fortress systems, infiltrate enemy encampments and take out their commander, and race against the clock. The locales are also varied, with missions taking place within the fortress, in ancient dungeons, and out in the field.

IGN: How many character classes will we be able to play?

Shimosato: The player will be able to control two characters.

Also, the player-character will also be able to bring along two party member characters with them. These include a tiny, spunky witch, a retro-style robot, a wild-faced wolf-man, an untamed dragon, and a few others. We definitely tried to include a wide variety of types and personalities.

These party member characters are not controlled directly, but the player can obtain different equipment for them, which changes the way that they act in combat and affects what special abilities and techniques they use.

IGN: Lastly, is there anything you can tell us about the game that hasn’t yet been seen?

Shimosato: The characters’ appearance not only changes depending on the weapons and items they have equipped, but weapons and characters are also highly customizable beyond just standard level-up increases. In this way, players can do a sort of “fashion coordination” by improving certain pieces of equipment that fit with the look they want to have.

Also, while the game’s equipment and character development system are RPG-style, the combat action is definitely more frenetic than just inputting commands, and so the overall result is that the game is very fast-paced, with countless enemies to combat using classic RPG tropes, like massive swords and powerful spells that can cut through hordes of monsters in no time flat. We really hope that fans enjoy the end result.

IGN: Thank you for your time. [/quote]

Link.

This is what annoys me about the mass media the most: they never ask potentially tactless questions, lest they are denied one more story to feed to the brain dead zombies that they call their readership. Tactful as ever I see. Recruiting over-qualifed “journalists” who somehow don’t have a shred of talent between them seems to have become a sweeping trend these days.

Firstly, I would have asked why Neverland have no respect for their source material. Secondly, I would thank them for killing one of the most meaningful series of games I have ever known.

Shining Force helped me escape the abject misery of my childhood (people who claim that life is what you make of it have no idea), yet to our illustrious friends here, it is nothing more than a meal ticket used to feed their gluttonous greed. Let’s not pretend that the games industry hasn’t become a glutton of money.

Where is their sense of integrity? Seriously. This guy claims to have made the gameplay of the original series “more dymanic” which in reality, is actually a lie perpetuated to reinforce his own personal delusions of granduer.

More dynamic my ass.

I’m not going to post any further on this, so I’ll just say a few little things.

Firstly, last time I checked you hadn’t played NEO - it’s a fun game. It also sold well enough and recieved enough positive press to garner a sequel.
Secondly, traditional Shining Force still exists on mobile phones and in recent retro packs - they may not be accessible to you, but to the people this game is primarily aimed at they are.
Lastly - you’re still getting hung up over a single word on the title screen. Nobody cared when Shining Tears/Wisdom/Holy Ark/Soul got released, but “real” SF fans feel the urge to get upset over this purely down to a single word.

Regardless of how you or anyone else feels about it, there was a market for NEO, and it did well enough to turn a profit. So obviously the majority of the people are able to get over the “Force” part of the whole thing and just enjoy the good game Neverland made.

I think it’s less to do with people “getting over it”, and more than fact that the new audience who bought they game didn’t care, because many of them weren’t fans of the previous games. Most older Shining Force fans did not find the changes in Shining Force Neo appropriate, due to the way Neverland recreated the series in their own image to appeal to the mass market, as opposed to attempting to continue the series.

I’m sure a lot of people would hate it if a Lord of the Rings sequel came could that was a science fiction set on Mars. Even if the story was good in it’s own right, Tolkien fans would not approve of the story simply because it was meant to be a LOTR sequel. That’s how a lot of Shining Force fans feel about their series; it has that same kind of “dignity” - you don’t mess with the core elements of something that define it for what it is.

[quote=“Kimimi”]

I’m not going to post any further on this, so I’ll just say a few little things.

Firstly, last time I checked you hadn’t played NEO - it’s a fun game. It also sold well enough and recieved enough positive press to garner a sequel.
Secondly, traditional Shining Force still exists on mobile phones and in recent retro packs - they may not be accessible to you, but to the people this game is primarily aimed at they are.
Lastly - you’re still getting hung up over a single word on the title screen. Nobody cared when Shining Tears/Wisdom/Holy Ark/Soul got released, but “real” SF fans feel the urge to get upset over this purely down to a single word.

Regardless of how you or anyone else feels about it, there was a market for NEO, and it did well enough to turn a profit. So obviously the majority of the people are able to get over the “Force” part of the whole thing and just enjoy the good game Neverland made.[/quote]

I appreciate your thoughts Kimmi. Don’t let my views stop you from sharing yours.

What SF Neo did was redefine the SF name, and thus, killed the older series.

Camelot offered to port the Shining Force III trilogy to a portable console by converting it into 2D. Sega did not care.

See where I am going?

Neverland and Sega claiming that a mere simplified hack ‘n’ slash game represents the next stage in the series’ evolution is totally misleading, and the people making such claims should be ashamed of themselves, because it’s painfully clear to all who can see that this series means nothing to them beyond how much blood they can squeeze out of it.

Their comments reek of ignorantly sugar coating the truth, and if there is one thing I will not tolerate, it is ignorance.

Neo and Exa are the bastard children of the Shining Force brandname. What better way is there to describe them? There were many names available to the makers, yet they chose to redefine an existing one to further their own doomed wallet fattening agendas. Where do you draw the line? Would you be eager to judge an SF Football game on its own merits too?

Why has integrity faded from peoples’ understanding? Why has the word lost its meaning to Sega? Perhaps I was a fool to think they were better than that.

To me it seems as if Sega went from making original imaginative titles that refuse to sell (PD Saga etc), to rushed mediocre ones that top the charts (the new Sonic springs to mind).

As much as I disliked 66% of Sonic Adventure 2 (the non-Sonic and non-Shadow stages), at least it was bug free, and at least the graphics could not have been much better, and at least there was no slowdown, and at least loading was kept to a bare minimum.

Sega have some serious quality assurance issues to deal with.

The developers of Exa seem to have fine tuned the experience, but they can go to hell for helping to bury Shining Force all the same. After growing up in hell I’ve learnt to always expect the worst from life, so I won’t hold onto the hope of seeing a new Shinobi or SF that do the original games the justice they deserve.

Back to WoW for me.

I gotta agree, that’s an obnoxious article if you know anything at all about the series. But ‘history’ will always be rewritten to serve contemporary agendas.

[quote=“Kimimi”]

Regardless of how you or anyone else feels about it, there was a market for NEO, and it did well enough to turn a profit. So obviously the majority of the people are able to get over the “Force” part of the whole thing and just enjoy the good game Neverland made.[/quote]

The majority of people? Don’t make me laugh,NEO only garned 10 000 units of sales in america alone and that’s pathectic. SOE hasn’t even bothered to port the title which speaks volumes about what they think of the game.

“Modernize the game mechanics”, implies that the original battle system is somehow old and out of date. Like an ageing cripple in urgent need of being put down or something.

I wish I could strangle this guy…

I’ve had this notion that a really deep turn based MMO could be huge. But it would have to be seriously deep, seriously beautiful, and seriously well written. Still, if there’s a mainstream(ish) market for collectible card games even now, then I know it could be popular.

BTW Geoffrey, I think there’s some useful truth to be found in “Life is what you make of it”… the problem is that people only ever say it to be patronizing. And it’s true in the way that a house is also what you make of it, and if the only material available is shit, then no matter how well you build your house it’s still going to be a house of shit.

The part that winds me up a bit , is why even use ther word Force in the title , we’ve had Shinning games in the past that never played like the Force games and never used the world Force in the title , there again some fans will never be happy till Camelot make a Shinning game .

Also do the Shinning games sell that well these days ?, Neo bombed in the USA and I didn’t see it light up the charts in Japan. I’m still a bit puzzled why SEGA Japan is pushing the Shinning so hard, let over looking so many over classic IP it could update like Dragon Force , Burning Rangers, SOA ect.
I know this could to be with the Teams are longer there @ SEGA Japan, or the Team heads don’t want to make a SOA II for example. But unless Camelot come back you’re never going to please the faithfull and the Shinning series has never been that big of a deal to non SEGA fan’s

I had a long reply written, but in the end I decided I didn’t want to risk going too far off topic. I am grateful for your insight nonetheless.

Telling an autistic child who is trapped in a prison of flesh and bone that life is what you make of it is my favourite example of illogical flawed preaching. You don’t tell someone who has contracted cancer through no fault of their own that life is what you make of it.

Sega could have made something truly wonderful out of SF. Instead they have idiots running the show who somehow think it is acceptable to release buggy, glitchy incomplete titles as long as they sell well.

This is just the love of money at work, and you can clearly see why it’s the route of all evil.

Neo would have sold better without SF in the title, and Sega won’t get away with selling Sonic games that could have and should have been much, much better, forever. People will view the brand with distaste after being disappointed, then the games will stop selling even if they happen to be of the highest quality.

Life isn’t what you make of it, because we are inevitably shaped by forces beyond our control. Nonetheless, we do indeed reap what we sew, in more ways than one. They are just non-gamers catering to non-gamers. Fine. Let them learn their lesson the hard way.

[quote=“Team Andromeda”]The part that winds me up a bit , is why even use ther word Force in the title , we’ve had Shinning games in the past that never played like the Force games and never used the world Force in the title , there again some fans will never be happy till Camelot make a Shinning game .

Also do the Shinning games sell that well these days ?, Neo bombed in the USA and I didn’t see it light up the charts in Japan. I’m still a bit puzzled why SEGA Japan is pushing the Shinning so hard, let over looking so many over classic IP it could update like Dragon Force , Burning Rangers, SOA ect.
I know this could to be with the Teams are longer there @ SEGA Japan, or the Team heads don’t want to make a SOA II for example. But unless Camelot come back you’re never going to please the faithfull and the Shinning series has never been that big of a deal to non SEGA fan’s[/quote]

The plan with the SHINING FORCE SERIES is to build it into a Dragon quest franchise in term of sales. So far the games sales percentage wise seem to have built upon it so it looks like each title released so far have done well. in saying that it hasn’t burned the charts like YAKUZA has. There’s agood buzz on EXA so we will see how that fares.

The problem with SHINING FORCE is that its really a second party game which was lumbered at Amusement Vision who basically hired other studios to make the game for them. I’m torn about this because they did hire Climax to make RODD for thee GBA but then they also went and did the NEO and EXA games which i’ve said before and you agreed with could have easily been part of the SHINING line of games rather than the FORCE line of games. There’s indication that they want Camelot and Climax to help them create some new SHINING titles and the fact that no t only are they in a better finacial position to do so but Camelot has let bygones be bygones and are free of Nintendo’s exclusivity dev deal. Its really up to Sega to take the decision. Another problem is that where would a new SHINING FORCE game be headed towards? The Ps2 is on its last legs and the cube has been abandoned by Sega now so it does just leave the Wii since its inexpensive. I think the picture will become clear for any future SHINING FORCE,and PANZER DRAGOON, DRAGON FORCE and other titles in the upcoming months.

My thoughts entirely. Shining Force 3 was a game that more than anything else offered me escapism beyond that I have yet to experience with any other games. SEGA have now sodomised the series. Yet it is not just this game. All games I play now, with only a few exceptions are soulless tripe that bore me so quickly. Why? Making games is the preserve of giant corporations who care little for the games they make. Once I hoped the indie games community would rise to the challenge but alas it has not emerged as a credible source of good games.

This is very true. Those who deny this are usually those who have been supported by these unseen forces.