Shenmue iii

Even the second half of 2018 seems unlikely. For the game to be of high quality, open world exploration, highly cinematic, and a complex combat system…you are going to need at least 4 and a half to 5 years, development time. Unless you have a large development team and I believe the dev team is pretty small. Anything shorter is going to feel rushed, or lacking depth.

We’ll see how it turns out, but I have my doubts. It just seems too fast. And the story isn’t even going to end for God’s sake!

I think Shenmue series is suited to be released in episodes. I wonder if they have considered that. The Dreamcast games were quite large, and they could reduce dev time by releasing a Shenmue III: Episode 1 initially. Of course episodic content doesn’t guarantee that the story will ever be finished (as with Half-Life), but increments can make the development time less of a drawn out process for both developers and fans.

Also, didn’t they already confirm that it was not going to be an open world game @legaiaflame? You might be setting your expectations too high…

I’m not sure really… Can anyone confirm or deny? I think we know very little at this point…We’ll eventually find out more information through the monthly development emails, we get as backers.

At $5 million, exactly HOW open world will Shenmue 3 be, compared to Shenmue 1/2?

Yu Sasuki:

I’m expecting something similar to Dobuita in terms of scale.

So, I guess open world on a smaller scale?

This was disappointing news, but actually I suspected it for a long time. The Kickstarter updates suggested a very basic development process for a game that was supposed to be out this year.

But I’m okay with it, like Solo says what’s another year or two in the grand scheme of things.