Shadow of the Colossus is Getting a PS4 Remake

From what I’ve heard, it seems they just changed the button layout. For instance: X being jump now instead of Triangle. And other similar changes.

To be honest, the actual grip command didn’t cause me too much trouble. I made it to the 15th colossi.
What drove me mad is when you are supposed to finish this 15th colossi with a final blow at a specific point.
To reach it, you have to climb on top of the giant and let yourself fall then grip, fall/grip… this section felt so stupidly random in the way Wander succeeded or failed to grip…

But again, if they added an option for the camera not returning to center/neutral position, it would probably save a lot of frustration.
Is it true in the original the camera was not returning to center or you could disable this ?

I agree with all of this. Now I’ve finished the game I can see how it would’ve been so impressive back in the day. That’s not to say I didn’t find it impressive nor enjoyable, it’s just that the controls and camera are so awkward by modern day standards.

It’s easily the most beautiful game I’ve ever played. The section on the way to I think it’s colossus three, with the waterfalls and cliffs and trees was simply breathtaking. Its just that the camera makes it so hard to properly enjoy these environments that you’re travellling in because you can’t just… Look… At something easily.

Once you get a hang of the new controls its not so bad - based on what I’ve read here they definitely seem to be better than the old ones. There isn’t much of a learning curve to them, but as mentioned they seem unreliable. You can do the exact same thing twice but Wander will move off in a different direction each time. It’s not game breaking, just frustrating; especially during the last few colossi…

The story intrigues you in the beginning, and disturbs you by the end, but the middle is devoid of story which I think is one of the game greatest strengths. Here you are, in this stunning but empty open world, going about your business with just your thoughts to keep you company. It just gave me time to think, what am I doing, who is Dormin, where am I, etc etc.

Overall I had a great time playing SotC for the first time, and I’m glad I played this version in 2018 rather than attempt the PS2 or PS3 versions. However, I think the game was probably most enjoyable if played back when it was first released.

I’m glad you enjoyed finally playing through the game, @Shadow of the Colossus. The Last Guardian is still fairly new, so perhaps play that next? It very much feels like the successor to Shadow of the Colossus even though the two games aren’t explicitly linked.

I was actually considering playing Ico next, although I have my concerns about how well it’ll hold up in this day and age.

That and Bluepoint Games have said their next project is also a remake… Could it be…?

Ico? They’ve said their next project is “a bit bigger”, but Ico is definitely a smaller game than Shadow. And it seems a bit too soon for a Last Guardian remake. So I’m guessing that it’s unrelated to these games, probably something more mainstream that a publisher could justify remaking.

If you’re going to play Ico, the PS3 version should be fine. I don’t think it would benefit from a remake as much as it’s successor. It’s not a technically demanding game like Shadow of the Colossus, much smaller in scope.

It defaults to a new control scheme, but the option still exists to play with the original controls. I prefer playing the old way with the two button roll though. Old habits.

That pic legaia posted with the lack of fog…yeah I hate that. I’m very attached to fog and draw distance limitations/effects in videogames. It’s what made games like Silent Hill 2 or Tomb Raider (1996) so impactful for me. Atmosphere is just everything in games for me.

If someone in the forum would like to gift me a PS4 pro and with Sotc, I’d be happy to play this game again.