Sega: The iPhone is as Powerful as the Dreamcast

kotaku.com/5026060/sega-the-ipho … -dreamcast

From the article:

I’m looking forward to seeing where gaming is heading on the iPhone. I downloaded Sonic for my iPod Classic and it really isn’t a fun experience due to the controls. But with the iPhone’s touch screen interface and tilt controls, I think it has the potential become a gaming device that handheld gamers may actually consider as an alternative to the DS/PSP.

Thoughts?

Shenmue III on the iPhone?

Imagine the possibilities!

The touch screen could make quick time events even more “interactive” than before.

I wouldn’t mind a QTE involving Joy, I’d certainly put the tilt controls to good effect, yes sir :anjou_wow:

I started replaying Shenmue yesterday, actually. It still holds up well today (even if the controls are a bit naff).

I’m so sick of the iPhone (and Apple in general). I don’t think it would be handle Virtual On…I’ll pick the DC over the iPhone any day

Care to elaborate?

yeah i think sega sshould focus on getting the panzer dragoon series

to the masses. i think saga is a great start for all of the community

especially for the ds,iphone and psp

Whether or not it’s worth all the hype is one thing, but it’s a completely different issue to say that you’re sick of the iPhone. Do you have one? They’re pretty damn awesome. In all seriousness - if it came with a docking station that allowed you to hook it up to a monitor and keyboard, I don’t think you’d ever need a laptop.

And yes, it could handle Virtual On. The Saturn could handle Virtual On.

I want an iPhone, but I’m waiting until next year. When it debuted, it came out for $600. Around a year later, it’s $200. I wager I’ll be able to get one for even less, maybe even free by signing up with AT&T around this time next year. I’m patient.

While the iPhone is awesome I would not really say it is special, there are many phones capable of just as much, or more, than the iPhone.

[quote=“Solo Wing Dragon”]

Care to elaborate?[/quote]

I’m not saying Apple makes crappy products, because they don’t. But they’re not the be-all end-all of computers like they claim to be. There are products out there that are at least just as good if not better that are less expensive. I’m just tired about hearing about the iPhone all the time and the whole “hipster” image surrounding Apple and the whole superiority complex that goes with it.

[quote=“temjin747”]

Care to elaborate?

I’m not saying Apple makes crappy products, because they don’t. But they’re not the be-all end-all of computers like they claim to be. There are products out there that are at least just as good if not better that are less expensive. I’m just tired about hearing about the iPhone all the time and the whole “hipster” image surrounding Apple and the whole superiority complex that goes with it.[/quote]

You’re sick of the hype, which is understandable I suppose.

I get tired of hearing from Apple fans… not any fans, but the evangelists that are convinced that the Apple way of doing things is always the best. Apple make some very polished projects, but as you say they aren’t the be-all end-all of anything.

Overall the iPhone seems like a very well thought out piece of hardware. What I don’t like about it are the prices. I’m not sure about overseas, but here they’re rather high, $979.00 for the 8GB model without a plan, otherwise you’re locked into a plan paying at least $80 a month which is far too much to pay for a phone bill per month IMO.

I think it’ll be a while before laptops can be replaced by devices such as the iPhone, if at all, but it may be that we have different ideas about the purpose of owning a laptop. The advantage of a laptop is being able to carry the power of a desktop (to an extent) in your bag. I believe we’ve come to a point where a serious computer user no longer needs to have a desktop (although, if you’re after the bleeding edge, this is always going to be a requirement). The iPhone’s 16 GB limit is quite restrictive when it comes to audio and video, although this is bound to improve as newer versions of the unit are introduced.

A writer sitting down in a cafe and composing their next best seller on an iPhone would be quite possible, but doing keyboard activity like that for long periods of time would be tiring and slow. But as you say it would be quite handy to be able to be able use it as a portable computer with your existing peripherals if you wanted to, rather than having a lug a laptop everywhere.

Over in the States, people don’t like the fact that they are tied to AT&T. Also, while the 3G is cheaper than the old version, the costs in the service go up, so you don’t save as much money as you would like to.

I think it’ll be a while before laptops can be replaced by devices such as the iPhone, if at all, but it may be that we have different ideas about the purpose of owning a laptop. The advantage of a laptop is being able to carry the power of a desktop (to an extent) in your bag. I believe we’ve come to a point where a serious computer user no longer needs to have a desktop (although, if you’re after the bleeding edge, this is always going to be a requirement). The iPhone’s 16 GB limit is quite restrictive when it comes to audio and video, although this is bound to improve as newer versions of the unit are introduced.

A writer sitting down in a cafe and composing their next best seller on an iPhone would be quite possible, but doing keyboard activity like that for long periods of time would be tiring and slow. But as you say it would be quite handy to be able to be able use it as a portable computer with your existing peripherals if you wanted to, rather than having a lug a laptop everywhere.[/quote]

I also don’t think laptops will be going away anytime soon. A great alternative to a normal laptop is the Eee PC:

eeepc.asus.com/global/

I’m looking forward to seeing where gaming is heading on the iPhone. I think it has the potential become a gaming device that handheld gamers may actually consider as an alternative to the DS/PSP.

Thoughts?[/quote]

Well Apple did patent “Apple Games” or something along those lines. Companies patent names all the time just in case, but it’s interesting with the way the iPhone is turning out.

Maddox has everything there is to know on iPhones.

The iPhone will not replace laptops though… I would much rather be writing on a sub-notebook or medium-large notebook than a iPhone with a keyboard, screen size is a very important issue when it comes to word processing.

[quote=“dreman75”]yeah i think sega sshould focus on getting the panzer dragoon series

to the masses. i think saga is a great start for all of the community

especially for the ds,iphone and psp[/quote]

My mate got a I-Phone and the interface is brillaint, but the trouble is its not really made with games in mind. I’m not sure how many games could work on the system . I agree though SEGA should be bring more of its old Saturn and DC games to console like the PSP and even X-Box live imo

Yeah I can see the iphone work for stuff like tilt based platformers (think Loco Roco or Monkey Ball/Marble Madness type games) and various touch based puzzle games but the lack of buttons will be hard to overcome for other types of games. You could possibly emulate buttons with touch based functions (think a functional d-pad rendered on the bottom left of the screen for example) but I don’t think it would work so great…

You are very correct. I should have clarified - I meant primarily for work purposes. Most people simply need email, spreadsheets, and a word editing document to do their work, which the iPhone does. The advantage that a device like the iPhone has is that it doesn’t need any peripherals (but like you said, extended periods of working on an iPhone just using its native interface grows cumbersome). Is it ready to replace PCs? Not nearly. But you can certainly see the possibility.

I don’t see why we are talking about the iphone as if it is alone in the world of phones that can do tasks such as word process… so from now on I will use the word “Phone” instead of “iPhone” because an “iPhone” is just a PDA-Phone with a stupid name.

There are many other phones that can also do tasks such as this, and many were around way before the “iPhone” and some even… exceed the “iPhone” in terms of “workhorse” software.

Phones will never replace PCs, even if they become extraordnarily powerful and capable of tasks such as Video Editing, 3D modelling and running DJ software… there are many reasons why they will not replace PCs:

• No matter how powerful small devices become, there will be a bigger, badder, faster alternative.

• Not everybody wants to do their work on titchy screen.

In the same way that the laptop did not spell the end for the desktop, laptops and desktops will still be around, even when PDAs and Phones are stupidly powerful.

He said they could replace office-type-work-esque laptops, not PCs in general. And he did say that for that to actually happen they’d at least have to be able to connect to larger monitors and keyboards also.

And yes the ipod is overhyped and overpriced but at least it’s what brings such functions, in a phone, to the mainsteam audience.