Sega Rally 3 has finally emerged

Sega Rally 3, also known as Sega Rally 2005 (no doubt to mark its 10 year history), has finally gone into development, which should come as no surprise to Sega fans. Unfortunately, Sega Rally 3 is the latest game in a long list of Sega-made games to become a Playstation 2 exclusive.

Go here to view the first official screenshots.

With the new Berserk game, Devil May Cry 3 and now Sega Rally 3 coming to the Playstation 2, I’m even more tempted to buy one. However, Sega’s new Shining Force game isn’t turning out to be what I was expecting, so resisting temptation really isn’t too difficult when I have so many great PC games to keep me company.

My only question is: why is Sega Rally 3 yet another Playstation 2 exclusive? Why not convert it to the Xbox as well? I thought Sega was in the business of making money.

Wouldn’t suprise me if they later announce the game for Xbox, both Outrun 2 and Virtua Cop 3 were announced to be PS2 exclusive at first as well, but now I believe they’re (only) going to Xbox. I’m not a big racing fan, but it does look pretty nice.

I’m not interested until it’s on Xbox. Seems silly to make it only on PS2 when there’s a large market for racers on Xbox, though obviously there’s some logic behind the scenes here.

I can’t understand why Sega would confine Sega Rally 3 to the Playstation 2.

If any Sega game should be a released on more than one console, this is it…

omg a Playstation 2 exclusive??? i can’t believe that Sega are so ****ing thick. Releasing this, athlete Kings/Winter Heat, Last Bronx, etc all on PS2 is pissing me off

Relax it?s not and out and out sequel to part II, and the random generator part sounds cra8p, and it?s not as if Rallisport II sold loads. So who?s to say this would do any better on X-Box ?.

SEGA Ages are aimed solely for the Japanese market 1st and foremost. Given the X-Box pathetic performance in JP, SEGA would be off their trolley to make them for the X-Box.

Plus it?s no loss anyway. Winter Heat/Decathlete are a joke on the PS 2. With graphics that are totally inferior, from the poor charter models, down to the simple sh8t new animations patterns (laughable on the High Jump).

Hell the Saturn version even load faster. Trust me, you not missing out on anything.

I only got them for the DX pack, which came with a SEGA T-shirt, towel, mug, and electric toothbrush.

So far the only good SEGA Ages games are Puyo Puyo, and the brilliant Virtual Racing

I see no compelling reason why Sega Rally 3 should be a Playstation 2 exclusive, or am I missing something here?

Sigh.

Let’s hope that Microsoft kicks Sony out of America and Europe; then Sega will have no excuse not to fully support any of Microsoft’s consoles. Unless of course, Sega wants to focus on bringing games to the much smaller Japanese market forevermore.

At least Outrun 2 will arrive on the Xbox soon, even though Sega isn’t publishing the game. Does anyone know why?

Outrun 2 as a PS2 exclusive at one time…nah. I believe it was designed on Sega’s Xbox based arcade board Chirico (sp?) – sounds like it probably was going to be coming to the Xbox from the get go. I believe you may be thinking of the Sega Ages remake of Outrun.

[quote=“Geoffrey Duke”]I see no compelling reason why Sega Rally 3 should be a Playstation 2 exclusive, or am I missing something here?

Sigh.

Let’s hope that Microsoft kicks Sony out of America and Europe; then Sega will have no excuse not to fully support any of Microsoft’s consoles. Unless of course, Sega wants to focus on bringing games to the much smaller Japanese market forevermore.

At least Outrun 2 will arrive on the Xbox soon, even though Sega isn’t publishing the game. Does anyone know why?[/quote]

Try looking at the sales. SEGA made more money off the PS 2, than it has on the X-Box. That’s the plain and simple truth

Plus SEGA is publishing OUT RUN II in Europe and JP

I didn’t know that. All I know is Sega of Europe had to go to great lengths to convince Sega management to convert Outrun 2 to the Xbox. Outrun 2 was literally made for the Xbox, so I can’t understand why Sega hesitated to port it when we all know how popular racing games are on the Xbox.

As for Sega Rally 3, if the game is already made, then porting it to the Xbox (which, as we know, is a viable platform for racing games) wouldn’t be very costly at all. It’s not like Sega is making a racing game from scratch for a console which offers no guarantee of adequate sales.

[quote=“Kakizaki”]

Outrun 2 as a PS2 exclusive at one time…nah. I believe it was designed on Sega’s Xbox based arcade board Chirico (sp?) – sounds like it probably was going to be coming to the Xbox from the get go. I believe you may be thinking of the Sega Ages remake of Outrun.[/quote]

Nope, supposedly was a PS2 exclusive at one time, as both Xbox World and Playstation World reported. The fact that it was designed on hardware based on the Xbox made this news even more suprising, you’ll find a lot of forum posts on the issue. In fact, the same site that reported Sega Rally 2005 as being PS2 exclusive also mentioned that Outrun 2 might have been a PS2 exclusive, although even they were unsure if it was totally true: news.spong.com/detail/news.asp?prid=5844 . I’m guessing Sega originally was considering only making it for the PS2, but then later decided on Xbox since the conversion would be easier.

Funny thing is that Outrun 2 was eventually picked up for publishing in the US by Microsoft, which basically eliminated any chance for a PS2 version. But it wouldn’t suprise me if the same thing happens to Sega Rally 2005, if Outrun 2 sells well enough.