Sega Ages Panzer Dragoon media and info

OK, so one of the random thumbnails on Sega of Japan’s Tokyo Game Show page is currently a Panzer Dragoon image:

http://www.panzerdragoon.net/underground_ruins/lance_way/tgs_media_01.jpg

…though I’m not sure if this is from the possible remade / remastered version or just the original game, as the sea in the image looks fairly different from the PD1 Episode 1 we know, but that could just be down to colour settings and image quality.

Anyhow, when I follow the links to what’s apparently a Sega Ages movie of some kind, all I get is a “buffering now” message that doesn’t seem to be getting anywhere (I’m on broadband right now, but this brings back painful memories of 56K). So, if anyone has better luck with the Sega Ages video at this address, or comes across any screenshots or other media of the game, be sure to post about it here.

(For anyone who didn’t visit the board yesterday and hasn’t a clue what this is about though, you may want to catch up with the stuff said in this thread and on the TWotA front page - basically the Sega Ages Panzer Dragoon game is at the Tokyo Game Show…)

EDIT: Here’s what I meant about the screenshot, by the way… maybe it’s just going to be a subtle update rather than a full remake after all?

http://www.panzerdragoon.net/underground_ruins/lance_way/comparison01b.jpg http://www.panzerdragoon.net/underground_ruins/lance_way/comparison01a.jpg

Could just be a texture upgrade- technicallythat would be relatively easy to do in a port.

Those screens could just be for the included “pure” version that would ship on disc- maybe they don’t have enough of the upgrade to show it yet.

I couldn’t see the trailer myself Lance (and I’m on broadband too).I could however hear the music perfectly and the image actually changed two or three times.First you see the title screen of Space Harrier and then it seems there’s some gameplay footage.

Apart from those two images I don’t get much more.I do know that at one point the music stops (the SH one) and another starts.This could mean they were showing another game or maybe it’s another SH theme (I wouldn’t know).

What I do know is that the music changes a third time and it’s not a PD1 theme.So my guess is that the footage we were suposed to be seeing doesn’t concern PD1.

Sadly (since I actually like remakes [when they are well done]) it seems you guys are right.The images I saw of SH were pretty much like the original version (they might even be the original version;I couldn’t really tell).It migth be that they were showing the original SH and then the remade one but since I only got a glimpse of the begining of the trailer…

I supose they are only doing some visual touches so that people don’t get shocked by the graphics of 1995.

That’s strange, I still don’t get anything with any of Sega’s TGS videos; the movies just go on buffering indefinitely, with 0:00:00 / 0:00:00 displayed at the bottom. I’m using the latest version of Windows Media player, which seems to be what they recommend; is anyone else having similar trouble (or does anyone know what the problem might be)?

I dunno what’s the problem myself since I just finshed using WMplayer to see the 22 presentation of the Revolution’s controller myself and I had no problem (and the two videos seem to be using roughly the same resolution).

The problem, guys, is that there isn’t a video on the site. The “Buffering” image of Sonic running is actually just an animated gif (right click on it and choose “Save As” and you’ll see that it’s an animated gif named buffering_s.gif or something similar). In fact, if you check the source code for the site, you’ll see that there are absolutely no references to any video files anywhere on the site, even though it does make two references to Movie players (“text/javascript” src="…/moviesys.js", “type=“text/javascript”>MoviePlayerHTML();”, etc.)… I think it may be set to show different animated GIF files, but not much else.

I don’t think it’s supposed to do much more then tease you, or be a placeholder for where a video will later be. I’m not entirely sure, though, and I don’t have much time to check it out, so I’ll look into it later.

You might have been looking at the source for the wrong part of the page there, OfWintryDeath; the source for sega.jp/segachan/ch_tgs2005pr/ages_pr.html references two .asx playlist files (one for higher resolution and one for lower resolution) at these locations:

sega.jp/asx/tgs2005/ages_pr_bb.asx
sega.jp/asx/tgs2005/ages_pr_nb.asx

…which in turn point to .wmv files here:

mms://dca.pod.tv/sega/free/tgs2005/ages_pr_bb.wmv
mms://dom.pod.tv/sega/free/tgs2005/ages_pr_bb.wmv
mms://dca.pod.tv/sega/free/tgs2005/ages_pr_nb.wmv
mms://dom.pod.tv/sega/free/tgs2005/ages_pr_nb.wmv

I’m looking into this now, but the problem for me (at least) seems to be that Windows Media player can’t read the .asx files correctly; if I try and access them directly, I get a message saying that they’re corrupt or otherwise unreadable…

EDIT: Connecting directly to the .wmv files doesn’t work either of course, due to a “network error” occuring in that case…

I always get problems as described here with streaming videos because of my crappy connection speed. Since you guys are on a good connection though, perhaps the server is too busy for some reason instead?

[quote=“Lance Way”]You might have been looking at the source for the wrong part of the page there, OfWintryDeath; the source for sega.jp/segachan/ch_tgs2005pr/ages_pr.html references two .asx playlist files (one for higher resolution and one for lower resolution) at these locations:

sega.jp/asx/tgs2005/ages_pr_bb.asx
sega.jp/asx/tgs2005/ages_pr_nb.asx

…which in turn point to .wmv files here:

mms://dca.pod.tv/sega/free/tgs2005/ages_pr_bb.wmv
mms://dca.pod.tv/sega/free/tgs2005/ages_pr_nb.wmv.

I’m looking into this now, but the problem for me (at least) seems to be that Windows Media player can’t read the .asx files correctly; if I try and access them directly, I get a message saying that they’re corrupt or otherwise unreadable…

EDIT: Connecting directly to the .wmv files doesn’t work either of course, due to a “network error occuring” in that case…[/quote]

Ah, no, I wasn’t looking at the wrong soure code. When I looked at the file, I didn’t have time to read through it (I’m at work), so I just ran searches on some of the typical video formats, including the ones that are most often used for streaming. But in my quick search, I left out .asx files. Regardless, I’ll take a closer look at this when I get home, which should be in about an hour.

Thanks, I’m honestly not sure what the problem is at the moment so any help would be cool. Gehn, when you watched the movie and it came through extremely choppily, were you viewing the high bandwidth version or the low bandwidth version? The green / grey switches at the bottom of the page let you choose one or the other, so it might be worth giving the smaller version a go if you didn’t already…

Hmm I’ll check on that.But I think OfWintryDeath might be right about beeing an animated gif…I still couldn’t see it right.

Anyways concerning the kind of game this is suposed to be (and sorry I don’t remmeber if this as already been posted) both gamespy and ign have the information that this is suposed to be a complete remake…

EDIT:I checked the smaller version and I could indeed see it.It’s a movie showing Space Harrier II and then SDI and Quartet.Afterwards we seen a mix of images form other games.Panzer DRagoon included.It’s very small and there is japanese characters all over it but it did indeed seem much more “new” than the original version.

Frogot to mention that the PD part is real quick and only shows a secondlong animation of the Episode 1 boss fight and then a little bit of a fight agehnst one of the womrs in Episode 2.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v98/GehnTheBerserker/ep2agespd.jpg

Ah, I loaded this up on my Home computer and I got something VERY different from what I did at work. Where I was, the entire Windows Media player didn’t show in the Window; it just showed a small image of Sonic running which read “Buffering…”… So that clears up some confusion for me. But since the video has been seen, there’s not much need for me to work on this, I suppose. :anjou_happy:

Are you getting a Windows Media Player border showing up now then, WintryDeath? I’m still just seeing the Sonic placeholder image here; I’ve been able to try this on three different PCs now, and they each give the same result, so I’m not sure what streaming-video-related settings could be set wrongly on them all.

Anyhow, I thought I should point out the obvious in saying that the desert in that shot looks different in the same way the sea did in the earlier shot; unless those images were taken from a monitor with extremely wonky colour settings, it looks like the 2D planes’ graphics might have been given an overhaul…

My monitor is all that :stuck_out_tongue: but the picture can be quite misaleading.It’s very difficult to distinguish things.

Yes, I’m getting a Windows Media Player box, but nothing plays. It doesn’t buffer or anything; it shows no signs of doing anything.

Ah, that’s actually what I seem to be getting with Firefox; with Internet Explorer it’s still the “buffering” gif. Odd…

Well, after some rummaging I think I’ve narrowed down why some of us weren’t able to connect to the videos on the site; in my case at least, it seems to just be because I’m connecting through a NAT router, which even with all the relevant ports open and forwarded, doesn’t seem able to accept the mms:// protocol stream from the server with the video. I mentioned earlier that my PC said the playlist file itself was corrupt / unreadable, but that looks like it might just be a quirk due to the way the file’s formatted…

Oh well. :confused: I’m at least consoled by it being only a few seconds of footage…

2 second to be more precise. :anjou_happy:

You’re right, it really is; GameSpot now have the movie mirrored themselves.

GameSpot also have their first impressions of the game up, and unforunately, it’s sounding like only a tweaked port after all:

gamespot.com/ps2/action/sega … 33624.html

Of course, it’s possible that the GameSpot guys’ll be overlooking some subtle things, but it looks like we can be reasonably sure it’s not going to be an extensive remake. Oh well; at least their reaction to the game was a positive one.

For anyone who’s interested, the Sega Ages trailer with the Panzer Dragoon clip is here at GameSpot. As Gehn said, it’s only a couple of seconds towards the end, though.