Saturn games

I’m considering hunting down a copy of D and Deep Fear for the Saturn since I’ve recently come to fully appreciate the value of horror games in general. Does anyone here have an opinion on the above games in particular?

Also, D2 wasn’t released for the European Dreamcast and I was wondering if it was worth buying an American copy of the game. The game itself is supposed to be underrated, but is that really the case?

If only Sega released Sega Ages compilations of Dragon Force 1 and 2, and Shining Force III parts 1, 2 and 3 all in English. It’s a shame that many of the games that actually made the Saturn worth owning were never even translated…

I’ve wondered this before, but did Deep Fear ever get released in Europe? It was definitely reviewed by the official Saturn magazine, but I’ve never come across a copy of it. It would have been one of the very, very last European releases, so I thought it might have been cancelled. Still, the US version should definitely exist.

The reviews I’ve read make it out to be good, but not a classic; apparently it was a bit linear, and not as good as Res Evil 1. That was pretty much the high horror benchmark at the time, but taking that into account it may not have aged too well by today’s standards…

I never heard of D and never played Deep Fear.

Soz :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes they are all worth getting. Don’t forget to get Enemy Zero too that’s great as well.

D2 is an classic, I loved that game. The story was class. The graphics and sound were simply brilliant (still hold up today). The 1st time I saw the downed plane in the background in the snow, my jaw hit the floor
I just loved the whole setting to the game.

You really did think you were all alone in the wilderness. The snow effects, and the sound really helped to create a believable atmosphere. I almost felt cold playing this game. I could played D2 for hrs on end just for the hunting part

I really admire Kenji Eno. I like his attitude, and just love his direction and music in his games.

Buy D. It’s not worth more than a fiver though. It’s short.

[quote=“Lance Way”]I’ve wondered this before, but did Deep Fear ever get released in Europe? It was definitely reviewed by the official Saturn magazine, but I’ve never come across a copy of it. It would have been one of the very, very last European releases, so I thought it might have been cancelled. Still, the US version should definitely exist.

The reviews I’ve read make it out to be good, but not a classic; apparently it was a bit linear, and not as good as Res Evil 1. That was pretty much the high horror benchmark at the time, but taking that into account it may not have aged too well by today’s standards…[/quote]

Yeah it did come out in Europe (still have my copy). It no RE beater but it’s a great ame in it’s own right.

Really decent story to it (Apart from the end), with nice enought graphics and FMV. Music and sound effects are awesome. Some of the best on the Saturn.

If D comes highly recommended by Shadow then it cannot be anything other than awesome. :slight_smile:

Deep Fear was the last Saturn title to be released in the U.K. but never made the trip across the Pacific to America, so British gamers were luckier than most.

I think I’m going to buy Deep Fear the next time someone sells it on Ebay. I doubt the graphics have stood the test of time because any 32 bit game will look dated today, but I’m more interested in knowing how it compares to other 32 bit games. No slowdown I hope. Judging from the screenshots I’ve seen, it looks just as good as the original Resident Evil…

Also, Sega’s friends at Capcom seemed to really like Deep Fear. I wonder why?

Yes, actually it can be a lot of things other than awesome, because that’s one tag I wouldn’t associate with it. It’s enjoyable enough but not one of those games you’d go back to time and time again, except maybe to try and figure out “WTF just happened?” But yeah, It’s a nice one-run-through game.

It’s on 4 discs, and it’s short. w00t.

Panzer Dragoon Saga was short.

Yes, it’s horribly short. Remember it’s all FMV style graphics. You sure it’s on four discs though? I don’t really remember, but it was a long time ago that I played it. I know Enemy Zero was on four discs.

D isn’t that great. The puzzle with the spinning room really pissed me off and ruined the whole thing.
No adventure game should have a puzzle that just wastes time without making you think.

Also, the ending (in which you find out what “D” stands for) is lame as hell.

Enemy Zero is better.

Was I the only one that upon watching Sega Flash 5’s Enemy Zero presentation for 5 seconds shouted " GRIG ORIG!!!" ? :slight_smile:

[quote=“Arcie”]

It’s on 4 discs, and it’s short. w00t.[/quote]

It’s only on 2 discs. Enmeny Zero is on 4. yeah so it’s short, but it fun while it lasts, and costs next to nothing.

It a great game, but Enemy Zero is miles better. Along with Dracula Unleashed it’s my fav games of this type

[quote=“Geoffrey Duke”]If D comes highly recommended by Shadow then it cannot be anything other than awesome. :slight_smile:

I think I’m going to buy Deep Fear the next time someone sells it on Ebay. I doubt the graphics have stood the test of time because any 32 bit game will look dated today, but I’m more interested in knowing how it compares to other 32 bit games. No slowdown I hope. Judging from the screenshots I’ve seen, it looks just as good as the original Resident Evil…

Also, Sega’s friends at Capcom seemed to really like Deep Fear. I wonder why?[/quote]

It didn’t look that hot when it 1st game out, to say the truth. RE on the Saturn looked better. That’s not to say it looked bad. Backrounds still look nice even today.
There’s some slowdown now and again,but you’llhaldy notice it.

Sound wise it sounds awesome even now, with great and beefy sound effects. And the music by Kenji Kawai is simply brilliant. Reay gets you going and sets he mood for the game.

It’s well worth picking up (BTW it’s a 2 disc set)

Thhat demo disc made me laugh, simply becase SEGA showed off the uncut version of Resident Evil , only to cut out the in the final game.

They showed thehalf eaten face part in a unrated demo disc, but cut it out in the 15 rated final game. What a bunch of lossers

I bought both D and Deep Fear from eBay last year.

D was too short for my liking but I enjoyed the tense atmosphere and great graphics. There was one moment which, surprisingly, made me jump! Can anyone guess which bit? Hehe. Like Shadow said, there’s no real incentive to replay the game once you’ve finished it unless you want to see both good and bad endings. I couldn’t be bothered to play it again to see the good ending so I just popped the CD into ma PC, ripped the video and watched it lol.

I got my first taste of survival horror from RE on the Saturn and then the classic RECV on the DC, so I was looking forward to seeing how Deep Fear compared. Like Team Andromeda said, the first thing that strikes you is the quality of the sound effects and FMV - so good so far. The atmosphere is reasonably tense all the way through and there were several moments which really made me jump! But then after a while it became a little predictable in places, e.g. in one area I was thinking to myself “Hmm, the music has stopped, the camera angle’s gone all funny, I haven’t seen a monster for a while, I bet one will jump out at me from nowhere!” And it did. That’s what I love about the Resident Evil series, they keep the tension flowing from start to finish and are far from predictable. Deep Fear starts to lose this towards the end (IMO). Overal though, it’s a good action-packed game but significantly inferior to the original RE.

Both D and Deep Fear haven’t aged very well and I think I’ve left it a bit too late to play them, as I’m sure the experience would have been more satisfying at the time they were released. However, I’d still recommend both games if the price is right. Like Shadow said, D isn’t really worth more than a ?5 and Deep Fear no more than ?15 (but this will sell for ?25+ on eBay no doubt).