Resident Evil 1

I think there is still a market for this kind of gameplay. I loved Tomb Raider because of the mysterious ancient settings.

The oldschool gameplay in RE ended with Code Veronica IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRZfMHjGEo

1 Like

Yeah CV would be the one I’d next like to play, but it seems they’re remaking RE4 next and I’m not sure I could really go back to the old school RE gameplay now.

2 Likes

It is an odd decision if they’re remaking 4 before Code Veronica. Surely Code Veronica “needs” remaking more?

REmake 3 didn’t sell as well as they hoped apparently, perhaps they think REmake 4 will do better financially than a CV remake :anjou_disappointment:

It sold 2 million copies in 5 days, what did they expect? It was a much smaller project than RE2 Remake and also a less successful remake with much more criticism directed at it. Anyway, if they remade CV it certainly wouldn’t be “classic RE” any more just like the recent remakes that take cues from RE4 onward anyway. But it’s fine, just play it, it’s not far behind REmake1 that you only played recently. I’ve been playing the Dreamcast (non-X) version a bit while testing and configuring RetroArch that I got into recently and it’s still a mighty fine game, whether you go for high resolution or add some CRT style filers to hide flaws and what not (or both, it’s actually a nice look in this case imo). These screenshots are in order of original resolution + crt shader that I like (there are many with more or less distortion based on your needs, this one is mattias crt shader and I feel it’s a good catch-all solution so I don’t have to have a different shader per system/game/whatever to perfectly suit its needs, 2D or 3D, etc.), then the resolution bumped up to match my monitor’s vertical resolution of 1440 with the same shader applied, then a clean image.

Emulation is for all intents and purposes perfect (with the Flycast core in RetroArch) and the game itself is among the best looking on the Dreamcast, thanks to consistently good art direction and solid performance (that Shenmue for example doesn’t enjoy). Though Claire’s shoes and stuff could have looked a bit better and maybe have more convincing than circle shadows, oh well. Anyway you can of course downsample for an even cleaner image and what not (personally I play most games I emulate on their native resolution with a shader to add texture and hide flaws, so I just did this just to show you in case you prefer better image quality). Sure, the backgrounds and character models aren’t on par with REmake but they’re all fully 3D, there’s dynamic lighting and camera movement and so on. It’s lovely. I guess you can just get the newer re-releases too, I’m not sure if there are any negatives to them beyond the added X edition content and changes (like if they would be based on the Dreamcast or PS2 version and have lesser elements). But they’re not on PC so you’ll miss out on adding shaders and stuff if you take that route. I feel a super clean image in such old games doesn’t fit them too well, even if you find my choice of distortions a bit too much. It makes the low quality textures that much more apparent like a visual disconnect and inconsistency.