Removing Ogg Vorbis audio and WebM video from the site

I’ve just set Ogg Vorbis music tracks and WebM videos to be optional in our content management system. Modern web browsers overwhelmingly support MP3 audio and MPEG-4/H.264 video now, even on Linux, so there’s little reason to keep the requirement of including multiple formats around (which slows us down in adding new content). Going forward, all new music tracks will be in MP3 format (and sometimes a lossless FLAC version too), and all new videos will be in MPEG-4/H.264 format.

I intend to remove the Ogg Vorbis audio and WebM video files from Panzer Dragoon Legacy entirely at some point in the future. If you want a copy of these files, please download them soon.

Makes sense. How about AAC instead of MP3 though?

Most of the original files were provided in MP3 only so any conversion would be lossy to lossy, typically resulting in worse audio quality. The Vorbis versions of the files had this problem. We do have lossless FLAC versions of some files which could be converted to AAC with no quality loss. I like the simplicity of using a single format for the default/streaming version though.

I’ve just removed the Ogg Vorbis and WebM files.

I’m glad we went with FLAC as the additional lossless format for some tracks, the format is really gaining traction. Support will be included in the upcoming iOS 11.