Racism in England

I think someone had posted this before, but since I had a run-in with it first hand this previous weekend, I figured I’d share.

I was surprised to hear from someone that racism in England was likely as bad as the worse parts of America. Being from California, it’s relatively tolerant out here, at least in comparison to the rural areas.

But this last weekend, while in London, I encountered a bloke that really, really seemed like he wanted to know what 12 years of karate could do to his person. I was being taken around town by a lovely young Japanese lady (whom I have known for a while), when we boarded the Underground after having dinner. We stopped at one of the stations on our way out, and some drunken chav (is that the correct use of the term?) got on and started singing horrible drinking songs. Something about shooting German planes down, sung to the tune of “She’ll Be Comin’ Round the Mountain,” for all you Americans.

Soon, the lyrics began to change, and next thing I know, he’s saying, “I bet you don’t have a passport, you Chinese cnt… No you don’t have a passport you Chinese cnt,” etc.

I realized that he was looking straight at my companion, and my blood began to boil. Just as I was about to stand up and show him what we mean by shock and awe in America, she pulled me off the train, and we simply got on the next one. I could see him laughing as the train pulled away…

She then told me that she’s used to it, and she’s had eggs thrown at her and whatnot. I couldn’t believe it. A country that is supposed to be as liberal as England, and there’s this much racial animosity?

Anyone care to explain?

It’s pretty bad everywhere you go, nowadays. Oh, and if you’re an American entering China or Taiwan, you’ll pretty much get the same treatment, regardless of your race. Americans are pretty much despised, worldwide.

My theory (altho it’s just that) is that in countries where there are a lot of different cultures and ethnic groups there is always more trouble.

Racism is as rife here as it is in any other part of the world. Immigration, asylum, terrorism, et all are just some of the reasons why. The London Underground doesn’t exactly have a happy reputation either.

Yeah there are a lot of idiots around. I’m kinda lucky because where i live (East London) is full of mostly asians anyway so theres hardly any trouble, unless alcohol is involved like you said…

on a side note, where abouts in london you visiting?

Was staying in Brentford/Chiswick area (heh… if that doesn’t give away info about me, I don’t know what would :D), but spent Saturday wandering around central. Went to the National Gallery, hit up Harrod’s to buy me mum a Mother’s Day present, and then went to Notting Hill for some curry.

Then spent the rest of the night drinking at the hotel with said lady friend. Good times! Except for that one tosser…

[quote=“Abadd”]

…a bloke…

…me mum…

…chav…

…Except for that one tosser…[/quote]

I see you’ve been expanding your English vocabulary.

The problem with assholes on the tubes (and in general) is that a lot of them are simply looking for excuses to start a fight, so in that respect, racial slurs aren’t necessarily motivated by racist beliefs etc. People will always find an excuse.

Half the people living in London were born abroad, meaning it’s quite a multi-cultural melting pot we have here, so I wouldn’t worry about it. Of course, the issue of immigration isn’t going to go away any time soon.

The only way a lot of people can earn any prestige among their peers is through violence, but you probably knew that already.

Just felt like tossing all those in because they sounded appropriate :wink: Although, I do have to admit that it’s a struggle to not adopt an English accent whenever I spend time there…

And I know that a lot of drunks like to pick fights when they get drunk which is one of the main reasons that I figured it wasn’t worth getting into potential trouble over.

My lady friend took the high road and didn’t let it bother her, which was good enough for me, I suppose. We had drank until the wee hours of the morning anyway, so by the time she dropped me off at the airport, we’d both forgotten about the bastard :slight_smile:

But still, every time I think about it now, it angers me to no end…

Abadd is officially a man-whore. That’s a compliment, dude.

I’m not from London, but I despise the Underground system whenever I’ve been there. It just isn’t a nice place to be! The last time we went I walked almost everywhere, and I didn’t care that it took longer because at least I wasn’t only the bloody tube!

I’m sorry for the experience you and your friend had, you can’t account for drunken morons I’m afraid… I haven’t seen much like that happen, but there are always idiots, unfortunately :confused:

Sucks to hear about your experience. Every place seems to have issues like that however if you look beneath the surface. New Zealand is supposed to be multiculural and tolerant but I see stuff in the paper here and there with idiots like that. Mind you though it’s not as bad as people think often, I’ve been to London and had several people I know from NZ lived there for a bit (fyi for the non kiwis in here it’s quite common after university for people from NZ to go overseas for a few years, Britian is one of the more popular destinations.) who were asian etc and I never heard of them having any issues.

Kadamose - (un?)Fortunately, it was a platonic thing. We just drank until the morning and then she dropped me off at the airport.

I’m fairly sure my fiance wouldn’t appreciate any “extracurricular activities.” :anjou_embarassed:

I think there’s Racism in every part of the world myself .
I’m quite luckly. I live in the South Wales valley’s and while there is some raciest comments, it’s never more than a bit of fun (like a joke) or just e certain term used And nothing like throwing objects are name calling out loud .

I think the whole racist issue is issue is not help by any UK goverment getting any sort of grip onthe Immigration, asylum problems or by people not being allowed to have any sort of debate onthe issue Forcing it all underground).

I’m anti the EU union and want the UK out of that mess (but I far from hate the people in Europe), but to some that being racist
You can’t have any sort of debate these days with the Politically Correct lobbies going mad .

awww. in london and you never came to visit :anjou_sad:
we could have played on my saturn/dreamcast! =D

That’s funny, I’ve been on the tube twice, as a tourist from Belgium no less, and I never experienced any issues… heck, we could sit down twice both times. >.>;; But yeah, racism can be found anywhere. You’re just quicker to encounter it when you’re A) An ethnic minority or B) accompanying an ethnic minority.

But it is important not to think of EVERYBODY as potential racists even if a certain has that reputation. You’ll just get paranoid. And if you radiate fear you’ll just become an even bigger magnet for such trouble. I’d say we’re in a sorry state. But we’ve come a way since the Apartheid regime and black people having to stand on buses in America. So it’s not all doom and gloom.

Sorry there, Scott. Next time! I promise!

I had already promised to spend my only free day with said lady friend =\

I don’t forget if you ever come over to the Green , Green Valleys of Wales.
The pint is on me. And with luck I’ll show you my Drunkem Master Routine , and if there’s a Arcade machine near by … My God given Arcade Fingers :anjou_happy:

I am anti airhead American, I don’t mind normal Americans with IQs above 12.

In Hong Kong people reffer to white people as “ghosts”.

Hk is a bit of a shit hole…

I live in Perth in Scotland, It is a bit rascist I guess.

I was walking down a street once and someone shouted at me “Chinkiii poooofff”.
Another time someone said to me “Do you know where I can find a Chinki?” He of course meant a takeaway.
I didn’t take any offence to it because it wasn’t intended as an insult.
I don’t mind the word Chinki, it’s how it’s used.
Brits can be used as derogatory too…

I am Half Chinese, so I don’t know what that would make me?

Demi-Ghost?

Oddly enough I don’t seem to get an racial abuse over in Hong Kong despite the fact that before I get a sun-tan I am quite white looking.

wtf?

Where I live (Gloucestershire), there are very very few people of different ethnicities. This is mainly because it’s generaly a very afluent county (most millionaires in the UK) and so has never really attracted many first or second generation immigrants. One might expect that racism might be higher towards the few asian and north african people here, on the contary it is the opposite and rarely goes beyond toddlers staring in amasement at black people, as they are so very rare round here.

Is that intended to be an offensive slur against white people? Personally, I think sounds pretty cool, unlike “n***r" or "pki” or such like. There’s even a Matrix character called “Ghost”, and I think he was of mixed race as well. That was probably coincidence though.

The Scots word for an Englishman, sassanch, could probably be classed as racist even though I don’t know where the word comes from.