Playing Panzer Dragoon Saga in Yabause. (Questions)

Also, going back to Yabause when I set up the input for the 3d control pad. I cant get the L and R buttons to work. Every button can be set and works except those…I’m using an Xbox 360 controller by the way.

So, I guess according to this post/discussion Xbox360 controllers aren’t entirely supported by Yabasuse?

https://yabause.org/2008/05/11/yabause-095/

There’s a button on the toolbar that allows you to go Fullscreen, you can also press Alt+Enter. In settings under the video tab, there’s also a checkbox that says start in fullscreen. Have you tried those? I just downloaded the same one fresh and it’s working pretty flawlessly after playing a couple minutes in Saga.

Yes I tried all of this in YabaSanshiro. When it goes to gull screen I can only see a section of the screen, and the rest is cut off. The normal Yabause emulator works fine when I go to fullscreen no problems.

Someone mentioned going into fullscreen twice and having that work for them. Maybe give that a shot. Make sure the fullscreen resolution is set to your native too, mine was set to 1080 on my 1440p screen and it cut off most of the screen.

That DirectX input issue seems to also be in Yaba Sanshiro but if you change the input to SDL joystick and then map it, it picks it up.

I changed the native resolution and it worked somewhat. But, it seems yabause 0.9.15 works better regarding resolution. I’ll try the controller SDL joystick and tell you if it works. Thanks.

I’m going to stick with the original Yabuause emulator for now, version 0.9.15. The L and R buttons still didn’t work and I already had it set on SDL joystick. But, it didn’t work in Yaba Sanshiro either…

Going back to Mednafen for a bit. I got the full screen to work by changing my resolution to 1680 by 1050. Now when I’m full screen there is a black border. I’m assuming that is 4:9 ratio within the emulator.

But, is there any way to get it to go to 16:9, like Yabause is able to do?

Also, is there any way to smooth out the graphics like in Yabuase? Like what specific commands I’m supposed to alter to change the graphics settings?

Well as far as not being able to map the L and R buttons on an Xbox 360 controller, with Yabause this is why:

Controllers in general are either Direct input or X input. I’m assuming most PC controllers are Direct Input, and controllers from consoles use X input?

Anyway, Yabause is only compatible with Direct input it seems, as the Xbox 360 controllers only use X input drivers. That is why the L and R buttons won’t map using the 360 controller.

So I’m wondering will these new Saturn controllers soon to be released over at Retro-Bit http://retro-bit.com/ use Direct Input?

I don’t know for sure the answers, but…

Most PC gamers seem to use Xbox controllers (https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1712946892833213377) and even the PS4 controllers don’t use X Input. There is a utility to map Direct Input controllers to X Input functions though: https://inputmapper.com/downloads/category/2-input-mapper

I would be surprised if the new RetroBit stuff uses X Input, at least for the standard controllers. The ones with the analogue sticks might use it, but I’m sure X Input has to be licensed from Microsoft and of course that would cost RetroBit a fee to do so…

Thanks for the reply. I’m going to buy one when they release this month (Saturn Wired USB® Port Controller (Black, Slate Grey). Hopefully, it will work with Yabause and I can finally map the L and R buttons!

-Yabause 0.9.15 Tips:

-Yabause 0.9.15 (Sega Saturn Emulator) Sega Saturn emulator)

I was able to get the L and R buttons mapped with the pad option “only” The 3D control pad option would not map the L and R buttons. And just remember to uncheck Enable Built in HLE Bios in general settings and use OpenGL video interface. Used integer pixel scaling to 4. Also, go into settings, view and select hide on fullscreen. This will keep the top menu invisible when you go into fullscreen. Lastly, in general settings make sure Enable Frame Limiter is checked. If not, the framerate will be way too high.

For controller: Go to settings/input and select the controller for Pad. You’ll have to map the movement to the d-pad because for some reason Yabause has issues with controller input settings. But the pad option will ensure you at least have all of your buttons mapped, just without analog movement. And the L and R have to be mapped to the top L and R buttons, doesn’t map to any back triggers. For some odd reason the 3D controller works with Nights into Dreams just fine though…except when you’re walking around with the kids.

Note: You will have to find the Sega Saturn Bios file on your own. The emulator won’t work without the Bios file.

Games I can confirm work on this emulator:
Panzer Dragoon (Had to make a .Cue file with Alcohol 120 and my original copy)
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Nights into Dreams
Christmas Nights
Magic Knight Rayearth
Guardian Heroes (Had to make a .Cue file with Alcohol 120 and my original copy)
Sonic Jam (Had to make a .Cue file with Alcohol 120 and my original copy)
Sonic 3D Blast (Had to make a .Cue file with Alcohol 120 and my original copy)

I’ve used SSF and Mednafen (with the Mednaffe GUI at the time), I guess also the likes of Giri Giri but that was aeons ago, now I use the Beetle core in RetroArch (which is basically Mednafen ported to RA), I’ve not noticed any issues with it “breaking” at least on my PC (I couldn’t get the Android version running but I was just testing, I wouldn’t play Saturn games on my phone - alternative cores worked anyway with the same bios and game files so no biggie regardless). All games I’ve tried work on both, but on SSF some SNK fighting games get missing sprites. It’s ok since I emulate the arcade versions of those with Final Burn Neo (can’t bother with MAME these days) instead. Other than that it seems to be the most accurate, which does not mean I’ve noticed anything wrong with Beetle while playing pretty much any game I’ve felt like trying out the past year or so. I recommend everyone just get RA for their emulation, it’s perhaps a bit unconventional to set up at first but it’s not hard after you “get” it and then use basically the same method for all the different systems that have good RA cores (almost everything these days, it’s even getting a PCSX2 core soon, currently in testing, and for Dreamcast for example the Flycast core in my opinion is the best choice for that system by far, I’ve only noticed SEGA Rally 2 doesn’t get texture filtering, every other game has been essentially flawless, also the cores often have less input lag than the stand alone emulators on top of that, the uniform use, the various crt shaders are great, it’s simply amazing). Even if you really want to use Yabause instead for whatever reason, it’s available as a RetroArch core as well. Plus, you can install it on all kinds of OS and many consoles too, though not all are officially supported so may be based on older versions ported by third parties not involved with the main branch or whatever.