PDS on a Jp Saturn with Action Replay

I recently lucked out and managed to get a US copy of PDS and a 4 in 1 action replay but I dont seem to be able to get it working on my Jp Saturn. Does anyone has the steps to do this correcty?

I put in the cartridge, wait for it to load, put in the game. select start game without code and it come up with a message saying

“please remove cartridge”

In the panzer font then it goes back to the saturn system screen saying the game is not compatible.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Use this code:

(M)aster code:
F6000914 C305
B6002800 0000

Boot cheat code:
06002EB0 0009

This will allow you to get rid of that ‘remove cartridge’ error.

Thank you so very much! I was so annoyed when I couldnt get the game working this totally sorted out the problem.

I am just waiting for my copys of PD and PDZ to arrive now so I can play the trilogy in order.

I need to write that code down; I fancy picking up an NTSC version of Saga once I get my cartridge. :anjou_happy:

You might want to make sure which model of Action Replay you have first; it seems that the older Action Replays don’t have the ability to get around this cartridge-loading error, and certainly when I’ve tried to use the known PDS / Azel boot codes with my own Action Replay I’ve been unsuccessful. (Fortunately I do have an import Saturn to play my import games on anyway, though.) Off the top of my head I can’t remember which Action Replays do and don’t work with PDS, but I could check the model number of mine if you’d like to know. I think one of the Saturn Action Replay FAQs on GameFAQs might mention which model numbers work, too…

Thanks for the information, Lance.

At the moment I am planning on buying a cartridge from Jandaman. Will this be okay, do you think?

Can’t guarantee that I’ll end up getting many (or even any) NTSC games; but it is a plan of mine.

Thise code only works with the 4-in-1 RAM Cart Action Replay. As Lance already pointed out, stand-alone Pro Action Replays will NOT work.

Oh cool; the four in one is what I have planned anyway. Thanks for the information!

Just out of interest is there a list of boot codes complied all neatly somewhere? I have some US game slike PD, PDZ, Burning ranger and D and something else which escapes me on the way too…

As far as I’m aware there are three different models of the Saturn 4-in-1 Action Replay; they all (1) run most imported games, (2) allow you to input cheat codes and (3) provide extra backup memory for save-game files. The fourth function is support for games that require the extra RAM expansion cartridges, and the first 4-in-1 model only supports 1MB RAM expansion games, the second model also provides the 4MB RAM expansion - but is not compatible with 4MB games that were released after it - and the final model supports all RAM expansion-requiring games. However, it seems that one or both of the earlier models (which I own one of) also isn’t able to get around the PDS / Azel loading problem - at least, not with the commonly-known codes. I’ll check and post the details…

I have the 4 MB model, and it works.

Sorry, I almost forgot to post what I found: it turns out that this code does work with the Action Replay I have, it just doesn’t let you play the Japanese version of the game (which is what I’d tried out in the past - I’d seen the same code listed for all three versions). As far as I can tell, it lets you play the North American and European versions of the game on different-region Saturns just fine. I can definitely confirm that with an Action Replay (Version 1.94) and this code, you can:

• Play the NTSC version of the game on an NTSC-J Saturn
  • Play the PAL version of the game on an NTSC-J Saturn
  • Play the NTSC version of the game on a PAL Saturn

I’d assume that another code would let you play the NTSC-J version of the game, but I haven’t seen it posted anywhere myself. Anyway, I’ll see if Solo will put this code up on the site sometime in the future, as I’ve seen countless posts on message boards where people have said that import copies of PDS just can’t be played with an Action Replay…

You were thinking of playing it on a PAL Saturn, right? I was under the impression that the PAL version of Panzer Dragoon Saga was not PAL optimised, so I’d have thought that playing it on a PAL Saturn with a 60Hz switch would be the same as playing the NTSC version of the game on an NTSC Saturn. Can anyone confirm if this is the case…?

[quote=“Lance Way”]

You were thinking of playing it on a PAL Saturn, right? I was under the impression that the PAL version of Panzer Dragoon Saga was not PAL optimised, so I’d have thought that playing it on a PAL Saturn with a 60Hz switch would be the same as playing the NTSC version of the game on an NTSC Saturn. Can anyone confirm if this is the case…?[/quote]

I think the PAL edition was optimized, Lance, so it would play too fast and with some glitches on a 60Hz Saturn. My apologies if this is false; it’s just what I’ve heard. Thanks for your reply! :anjou_happy:

Eek! You mean I won’t be able to just pick up a copy of Azel for $20 on eBay; I’ll have to hunt down the hideously-priced US version instead? :anjou_sad:

Surprising as this may seem, it’s when you play the PAL version of the game at 50Hz that glitches show up, and they’re corrected at 60Hz. Do you remember the cut-scene before the battle with the Arachnoth, where Edge sees clouds of smoke rising in the distance and then heads off down the valley to investigate? When the PAL version is played at its normal 50Hz, those smoke-cloud sprites aren’t properly aligned with the scenery (due to timing problems), so they look like they’re beginning up in the sky rather than behind the cliffs; when it’s played at 60Hz that glitch and a dozen or so similar glitches in other cutscenes are corrected, though. I did some testing after I made that post, and it seems that the PAL version of the game is simply the NTSC version with its region codes changed; no optimisation apparently (at least not in-game), as it seems to play at exactly the same speed as the NTSC versions when run at 60Hz. (And of course, when the NTSC version is played at 50Hz it comes up with exactly the same glitches in cut-scenes and the same decrease in speed).

So as far as I can tell, you’d be better off just getting the 50Hz / 60Hz switch rather than any more copies of the game. :slight_smile:

Sure could :slight_smile: Do you plan to add this to your PDS Secrets guide, or what?

I was thinking that, though I’m not sure where I’d put it so that people would know where to find it; I’ll think of some way to include it by the time I have the next bunch of minor updates ready though, (although that might not be for a while)…

Thank you for the information, Lance. I now remember the glitch you were talking about; I had wondered about it before. So I guess you’re right!

Now if I can find a method of fitting a switch to my Saturn, along with a modchip (may be tricky since I have a 64-pin chip on the CD board, I think), then get myself a cartridge, my Saturn will be sorted. :anjou_happy:

Playing Saga at its proper speed will be so cool…