Parn's Shining The Holy Ark Fan CD

@Parn made a Shining the Holy Ark fan CD over on his now defunct website, synbios.net.

Although synbios.net is no longer online, The Internet Archive has a copy of this soundtrack:

https://web.archive.org/web/20071028054719/http://www.synbios.net:80/games/STHA/music/index.html

However, some of the tracks weren’t archived correctly. These tracks are

1. Battle Theme
    1. Desire Village
    1. The Mountain Cave
    1. West Shrine
    1. Tower of Illusion

Does anyone have a copy of the missing tracks? It would be great to achieve the soundtrack somewhere besides online besides The Internet Archive too. As fans of the game will know, the original soundtrack is actually a re-arranged version; there was no official CD of the original Saturn tracks.

I’ve made a copy of this post over on Shining Force Central.

I saw your post almost a month ago but I was still slowly unpacking stuff since I moved to a new home awhile ago. I wanted to respond then, but I didn’t want to get your hopes up in the event I couldn’t reproduce, so I stayed silent. Just today, I ran into a box of my stored CDs which included a disc with all the desired recordings. Kinda crazy, that I’ve kept it all this time. Even more surprising was that there wasn’t any disc rot! The disc was dated October 31, 2000. That’s almost half my life ago.

At any rate, hope this fills in the gaps! I ripped the disc in FLAC.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WoafHnqOk4LRXWw0bx-xw-tcpMVjMxZa

Also of note, I remastered two old PC game soundtracks in my spare time which are available as well:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxITibmrfEGeSUhlQlB0T0EzY0k

I’m learning an awful lot about the amount of work it takes to edit music, that’s for certain. I also hate some of the work I posted now that I’ve gotten better, but that’s life I suppose.

3 Likes

Thank you! I’m listening to the Holy Ark Fan CD as I type this; it sure brings back memories. Although I haven’t played the other two games, I’m always up for trying new game soundtracks, so I’ll give them a listen later.

It would be great to host the soundtrack and others somewhere more permanent. They’re a bit outside the scope of Panzer Dragoon Legacy (I don’t want to dilute the focus of the site with content unrelated to Panzer). Maybe Shining Force Central would be interested in hosting it? Hopefully we’ll solve the problem of the fragility of the web in time… IPFS looks like a potential solution. In any case, I’ll keep an MP3 version in my personal music collection if anyone needs a copy in the future.

If it’s worth any consolation, I don’t plan on closing my Google account anytime soon so those files will stay on there for the foreseeable future.

On another note, I uploaded two more songs into the drive using the second link. One of them is from Shining Force 3, and the other is from The Last Ninja. One of these days I’ll get back into it and work on finishing some Phantasy Star tunes. I have a bunch of work in progress tracks but they’re kinda just sitting unfinished.

1 Like

Shining Force III sure has a beautiful soundtrack. Looking forward to the remastered Phantasy Star tracks too.

wow these are really nice :smiley:
Would love to hear more from SF3 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s good to see you again Parn. I hope you are doing well.

Doing great, how are things on your end? The world’s a crazy place, it’s fun to think about how much has changed since we first started talking about Shining Force 3 and Panzer Dragoon.

I honestly wish I hadn’t written anything on internet forums until now. That’s how much I have changed. I love people if they are good, and I am very accepting of differences if people are good. I’m doing ok. I’m planning ahead more and more, and am working on becoming much more independent. It’s going to take a while. I was “too nice” in WoW, whereas I was a monster elsewhere. I think I will try to be more open.

Somehow Sega are still alive. I’m impressed. Anyway, I’m glad you are doing well.

I’m going to have a few drinks and listen to music for a bit.

Beautiful. Trance forever.

We all did a lot of growing all this time. Hell, I was homophobic beyond belief for so long and yet, here I am, married to another guy while serving in the military. I was always so mad at the world and took out my frustrations on internet forums, but I guess I figured out the root cause of my anger.

Sega’s successful these days, but they’re a lot more risk-averse than I’d like. Given their history though, I can understand the approach. Most of us have moved on of course - on the subject of MMOs, I play FFXIV a lot these days. It’s so weird how the game is… completely different than the rest of the stuff Square Enix pushes out typically. I suppose it helps that the lead director actually plays western games and grew up on Diablo, Ultima Online, and other titles. He single-handedly saved Square Enix from themselves after the travesty that was that game’s initial launch.

I listen to chillhop music a lot these days. I was on a trance kick for awhile many years ago, and I find myself jumping around genres. Classic rock kind of died out for me entirely, used to listen to it nonstop.

2 Likes

I’m happy for you. I really am. And speaking of that, happiness is the most important thing in life in my opinion. You know, I only played Star Ocean 3 because you recommended it (great game).

I might broaden my gaming horizons. I never really gave FF a chance. I have basically given up on Sega, and moved on like you mentioned. I didn’t want to do that. I really didn’t, and you probably know what I mean. I like ideas that cross borders. It seems in the case of Square-Enix you mentioned, there was a very profound cross-culture ripple effect (I say profound because we are talking about Japan, which is very insular, if I am following you correctly here).

I think there is history in western gaming that could be lost due to lack of investment (larger budgets mean more sugar coated universal themes are prioritized more – it seems that way to me anyway). Speaking of Diablo, D3 strayed from its darker roots, in my opinion, which supports my argument there. Hype really helped D3. Anyway, I’m glad you’re doing well.

1 Like

You guys should give Undertale a try if you haven’t already. It’ll run on any PC from the last decade or two and contains a lot of humorous references to aspects of RPG genre. Great music too.

Thanks man! If you do decide to give FF a chance, considering you enjoy World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy XIV would be the ideal way to make an entry. When Naoki Yoshida was given the reigns to repair the game after it’s complete and utter failure of a launch since Square Enix’s gaming divisions were being run by folks that have lost touch with current game design, he had the entire development team stop everything and play World of Warcraft for a month. He wanted the insulated team to see how much the rest of the world had changed, and it was eye-opening for them. Afterwards, with an understanding of their competition, they rebuilt the entire game over the course of two years and made something that was inspired by World of Warcraft and other western MMOs, but with their own spin on things. It isn’t as refined as Blizzard’s title, but it’s a quality product.

On the surface, it looks like a standard JRPG romp. Underneath however, there’s an insane amount of world lore and an awful lot of dark stuff under the bright veneer. As an example, the Valentine’s Day event back in February for this year was a questline that started off as a simple celebration called “Little Ladies Day”. Then there was an optional second half that veered off the rails quickly, where you find out that the original version of “Little Ladies Day” had its roots in sex trafficking, and that the little girl that gives you the quest was nothing more than a spirit, a manifestation of that girl’s innocence since she had been dead for years. The quest has you trying to give closure for the family.

The game has one of the most in-depth, fully realized worlds I’ve seen to date, and I’m actually excited to see what they have planned for the next story patch as well as the next expansion. The development team clearly is loving what they do, and it shows in their game. I’m actually attending the fan festival they have lined up in November, looking forward to meeting them. The latest encounter they created is amazing for its visuals, the music, the combat design, and even the story aspect as you bear witness to a character’s inner turmoil.

On the subject of Undertale, I need to get around to playing that. I have a ridiculous backlog of games to play.

I like the Japanese art. That is actually something I really miss. In some ways it has more personality (for the want of a better word) than a lot of western art. I will definitely keep that game in mind. I’m really glad that we can get lost in other worlds.

I heard about Undertale. That’s on my I-will-probably-play-at-some-point list if someone pushes me when I have more time.