Panzer Dragoon .SSF sound rips! Yayez!

Man, up till yesterday I had no idea the Saturn Sound Format even existed. If it’s all right to talk about emulation, it seems okay to mention this…

kingshriek’s SSF page
This page has pretty much all the stuff, including the Panzer Dragoon rips and links to players… but I’ll try to explain a bit further.

Audio Overload (to play .SSF files and a crapton of other game music rip formats)

Plugins to play these in Winamp, foobar2000, and KbMedia Player
It’s in Japanese, find the top-most zip file called “aossf” (it was up799.zip at the time of this post). It includes an english readme telling where to put the plugins.

The kingshriek page contains Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Saga, I have only tried Saga so far. Happy listening!

***This doesn’t apply to Panzer Dragoon, but it affects some other rips… if you want plugins to play DSF rips in Winamp, foobar2000, and KbMedia Player you will have to get the latest zip file called “aodsf” off the plugin page.

Thanks so much for this. Just downloaded it.

Awesomeness. There is a track which is a variation of the theme played when you fight the Gigra. And apparently also a variation of the theme from “Above Excavation Site” (area where you first control the dragon) judging by the name. There could be more. Got to check the rest.

EDIT2: There are no other variations of known tracks.

I’ve changed the names of each file to match the theme’s title :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v98/GehnTheBerserker/tracklist1.png

There are 6 additional files (4 sound files and 2 .bat files) :

pds_A5BGM.ssflib (Breath of Life)
pds_C2BGM.ssflib (Sleeping Iron Ingot)
pds_CAMPBGM.ssflib (Rest)
pds_TOWNBGM.ssflib (Zoah)

^These have a N/A length field. I’m playing them right now and they are basically those same tracks played over and over again continuously.

pds_tag_e.bat
pds_tag_j.bat

Are these DOS batch files? I can’t even begin to understand how a Saturn works so…

So, there are two tracks variations (Premonition of War and Giant Creature I) and there is a theme I don’t recall listening to before. It’s supposed to be an Aronak Unit theme and it’s no doubt the theme from Zwei’s 4th level (if I recall correctly). Was it present in PDS? I only remember hearing Zwei’s main theme…

Anyway, Thanks again Karmaha :anjou_happy: Judging by the names of the files as presented by Kingshriek there are some in-between files that are missing. I don’t know if this has got to do with Kingshriek’s rip or if they were named so within the actual PDS cd.

[quote=“Gehpnaet”]
pds_tag_e.bat
pds_tag_j.bat

Are these DOS batch files? I can’t even begin to understand how a Saturn works so…[/quote]

Yeah they’re dos files to tag the track names. e for english j for… well you get the idea lol.

Glad to read that people are enjoying this! ^-^

I think the A Premonition of War variation is just a no-intro version played after leaving battles or those music-free mine tunnels in the mining area.

The main Forbidden Zone music doesn’t seem to be there (it should be 117), looks like the included one might be an after-battle variation. Maybe I should try dumping it :smiley:

The numbering system used seems to be based on the game itself, as I have seen those numbers used before (that’s why I know about number 117).

I do seem to recall there’s a couple different themes played by the Aronak Unit music box toy you can get if you have a Zwei save in the Saturn’s memory. Sounds right anyway… ?

And I’ll have to try these out soon, sounds awesome, thanks karmaha!

This is pretty amazing.

Thanks Karmaha. Its great to be able to listen to a few tracks from the game that never made the OST without having to play the game.

The Guardian Dragon’s theme is one that was sorely missing from the OST. Sure it was in Zwei, but the Saga version had a phrase that was missing from the Zwei version.

Does it play them at the correct speed and tempo?

I remember SSF (The Emulator) having problems keeping Tempo with the music, usually playing it too fast :anjou_sigh:

This is epic… thanks!

[quote=“IcePak”]Thanks Karmaha. Its great to be able to listen to a few tracks from the game that never made the OST without having to play the game.

The Guardian Dragon’s theme is one that was sorely missing from the OST. Sure it was in Zwei, but the Saga version had a phrase that was missing from the Zwei version.[/quote]

PDZ had a shorter version, but its soundtrack has the complete one, same as PDS. If I had a pound for every time I’ve said this on here . . . :anjou_happy:

[quote=“Chizzles”]Does it play them at the correct speed and tempo?

I remember SSF (The Emulator) having problems[/quote]

It’s pretty close; I didn’t notice anything. SSF seemed good to me, too.