Panzer Dragoon Saga: Azel — a novel-length retelling of Saga (fan fiction, posting weekly)

Hello everyone! I’ve been reading this forum for a long time, and this is my first topic.

Panzer Dragoon Saga has stayed with me for years, and what I always wanted was to know what happens between the scenes: what Edge is thinking on the long flights over the wasteland, what it is like for Azel to say “I” for the first time, and what a dragon who never speaks might be saying anyway.

So I wrote it. “Panzer Dragoon Saga: Azel” is a novel-length retelling of the game’s story, from Excavation Site 74 to the very end.

About the story

  • Complete in manuscript: about 80,000 words, 48 chapters (a short Reader’s Guide to the world, a Prologue, 45 chapters and an Epilogue).
  • Posting one chapter a day on AO3; [14] chapters are up so far.
  • Follows canon closely. The events and characters are the game’s own; I have tried to fill the silences rather than rewrite them.
  • Rated Teen and Up for canon-typical violence. Edge & Azel is the heart of it, and it is not a romance.
  • The dragon never speaks. Whatever it “says” comes through how it flies, where it stays and what it chooses.

From the Prologue:

The first thing to fall was a grain of sand.

It passed through a newborn fissure in the stone, brushed a plate of pale bone, and came to rest between two seams of armour.

Nothing swept it away.

Read it on AO3: [Panzer Dragoon Saga: Azel - Wen Lei (abcxiaolaoshu) - Panzer Dragoon [Archive of Our Own]]
(If you’d rather go straight into the story, skip the Reader’s Guide and start with the Prologue.)

I wrote it in Chinese first and translated it into English myself, so if any phrasing reads oddly, please tell me. Lore corrections are very welcome too. This community’s lore research over the years was a huge help while I was building the world, so thank you.

I’ll post updates in this thread rather than opening new topics.

Non-commercial fan work; not affiliated with or endorsed by SEGA.