Pan's Labyrinth

If anyone has heard of this movie, I highly recommend you see it. It’s from Guillermo del Toro, who also directed Hellboy which I thought was underwhelming, but this movie turned out to be more than I could have ever imagined.

It is a hauntingly realistic movie that at the same time is able to capture your imagination from start to finish. Check out the trailer:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/picturehouse/panslabyrinth/

It is worth noting that the movie is spoken in Spanish, with English subtitles.

i saw this last week, i thought it was very good
best film i’ve seen this year (not seen apocalypto yet tho)

I enjoyed it. The lead villain in the film is a real nasty piece of work, and he comes across as very believable. I kept arguing with my friend during the movie about whether he was the product of his environment or merely stronger by nature.

I have mixed feelings on how the film has a supernatural theme running side by side with the portrayal of a rebellion. They are essentially seperate stories that overlap one another from time to time culminating in both good and bad endings depending on how you look at it.

I guess it’s all part of the film’s charm. Don’t doubt for a second that brutal bullies like that guy exist in real life either. What are you going to do when there are no good guys left to save you?