Nintendo's E3

Let’s use this for comments on what they had to show as a whole.

Well, I forgot to make a thread before it happened.

e3.nintendo.com/

The E3 Direct was, overall, disappointing if you ask me, nothing to really save the Wii U and nothing new for 3DS, just more information about known titles.

Good things included Pokemon, a new Donkey Kong side scroller for Wii U, Bayonetta 2 footage, The Wonderful 101 once again, the new Smash Bros for both systems, Mario Kart for Wii U looked good, Shin Megami Tensei IV being a good 3DS upcoming title, they had a re-confirmation of multiplatform titles like Watch Dogs, Asssassin’s Creed 4 and Arkham Origins (the last also getting a 3DS spin off), etc. Things I don’t care about included Wii U Party and various eShop indie titles, the Wind Waker HD port (how pointless), etc.

I guess the new 3D Mario game for Wii U looked good and fun as a game but by taking after Super Mario 3D Land on 3DS it reeks of a missed opportunity. It certainly doesn’t top the Galaxy games which actually inspired awe for many. This looks safe.

The one thing I consider a killer app from all they had to show was Monolithsoft’s X aka Xenoblade 2, seeing a little more footage of it was great, but that isn’t coming soon.

I wonder if they have any surprises left considering they didn’t even list Monster Hunter 4 and Pikmin 3 among the software. But that could be for other reasons.

Hopefully Nintendo cuts the price of the Wii U by the time Bayonetta 2 is released, seeing how I’ll need one thanks to Sega… With Microsoft completely dropping the ball with the Xbox One, perhaps the Wii U might be able to recover after all.

Yeah I really expected a discount announcement, it’s way too close to PS4.

249 for Premium (and making it the only SKU so ditching the name I guess) or bust.

I have no clue what they’re doing though, they should have had way more games to show. I guess their jump to HD issues are more severe than expected, as demonstrated by having even Wii Party/Wii Fit delayed.

I suppose it makes sense the price cut wasn’t announced given that, you need software to compliment pricing and they won’t have that for a while.

If nothing else then do the opposite of what Sony does to pimp the Vita with how it can remote play PS4 games, and offer every 3DS title’s digital version on WiiU as well, at 1080p and 60fps, only skipping games that require 3DS hardware specific features. That would at least give people some content.

For now it seems I’ll stay PC only anyway, with 3DS a possible purchase in the future.

Going back to some footage (I had mostly seen the problematic live stream) Mario Kart 8 actually impresses (even though I’m not much of a fan). That’s the kind of impression I wanted out of 3D Mario instead. Great rendering/lighting. I thought Mario Kart would be their laziest effort and 3D Mario their best but it seems that was reversed. Again, I think 3D World will be a good game, just as 3D Land is, and even more expansive and creative (and fun in co-op) but it’s just not the system showcase one would hope for. Smash HD will hopefully improve visually as well, the 3DS version is nice and the Wii U version looks good in motion but screenshots reveal plenty low end assets. Ah well, moving on.

TBH Mario Kart for the 3DS was a terrible title. The new track designs, especially the 1 lap levels, were just boring, the flying and underwater levels were uninspired and useless, and they still haven’t balanced out the weapons.

Anyways, those who know my know that I’m not a huge Nintendo fan. Not since the Gamecube era (a console which I still love and play often to this day).

I really want to be sold on the Wii U, but there really is nothing worth getting excited for. Just the usual sequels from Ninty, and even 3rd parties are doing nothing but sequels, such as Ubisoft and the new Rayman, or Bayonetta 2 from Sega.

I’m only interested in the Wii U as I could play the odd Wii title with slightly enhanced visuals (from what I’ve heard). But I can wait for a price drop before getting one.

ately several hints have popped up, suggesting that sequels BG&E and Mirror’s Edge, two games that were commercial failures but have established a dedicated fanbase, might be show at E3.