NiGHTS Into Dreams soundtrack

[quote=“Solo Wing Dragon”]
Yeah, I just noticed that too. It was working earlier, so maybe it’s a temporary problem.[/quote]

They haven’t updated it in quite a while and most of their songs seem to come from other site links…
Could be a while :anjou_sigh:

yay for the MP3s sends ants home

Phew!

I may well take a jaunt into Maplin today, and bother the sales assistants with lots of confusing questions which I don’t really need to ask them. Of course, I’ll ask about the audio cable eventually, too.

Now, if only I could bypass the Saturn’s Digital to Analogue Converter and my sound card’s Analogue to Digital Converter, thus guaranteeing 100% exact sound quality… :anjou_embarassed:

This not being feasible at all at the moment, please rest assured that the MP3s which I release will be nothing but the highest quality which I can produce. :anjou_love: I can’t wait to try this cable out, actually! I think it will give probably the best quality I could get without using a digital sound card, which I sadly don’t have.

By the way, Parn, what equipment and setup did you use to make your recordings before?

[size=9](Don’t pip me to the post with the NiGHTS ones, though, please…!)[/size]

Awhile back when I was using my dad’s Pentium II equipped with a Soundblaster AWE 64 soundcard, I had purchased a video capture card so I could see what I was doing (and record videos and the like for RPGFan at the time). I had the video going into the capture card naturally, and the two remaining audio cables connected into the female ends of an RCA to 3.5mm stereo mini phone plug adapter, which was plugged into the Line-In input of the soundcard itself.

Worked exceptionally well, though I was on a Pentium II at the time, so I had to run nothing but the wave-editing software or I’d get glitches in the recording. Was quite the pain at the time. Heh.

You could be busy for a while though if you plan on capturing all music. XD Seeing as it depends on how the A-life’s doing. Or you could just record the must upbeat version. =D(aka the one that you have when first playing the game)

In any case, me be much interested.

Music box on Xmas NiGHTS. Sorted.

:anjou_happy: Right on, Arcie. Either that, or I could use the Song Debug trick. But Pedro’s right, it would have been quite tricky to do otherwise!

That’s good to know. I’m interested in the tracks, myself, actually!

Oh, Parn, I was going to ask you about phono cables for the Saturn, but then I went on eBay and found loads of them! That’s exactly what I need. :anjou_happy:

Should be recording at least some of the tracks tonight, providing that I find my two phono to 3.5mm jack adaptor. :anjou_happy:

:anjou_happy:

The tracks are recording brilliantly, fantastically if I may say so myself.

I’m looping them twice and then fading, and converting them to MP3. The file sizes may be a bit large, but that’ll be due to the fact that the songs loop twice and therefore are quite long.

I hope you’ll be as pleased with them as I am!

sounds good =)
but why are you looping them twice? Why not just once through on the melody box?

Yeah, they really do. Surprisingly good, actually! :anjou_happy:

I guess I just felt like recording them that way! Guess I could just loop them once; it would keep the file sizes down. Any opinions? I probably will do that, actually. :anjou_embarassed:

The tracks are also being DC offset corrected, and normalized, just to guarantee the best sound. Is conversion to 160 kbps MP3 format alright for all?

I have produced seven tracks so far:

Jack Frost’s Chime
Paternal Horn
The Amazing Water
Gloom of The N.H.C.
Take The Snow Train
Suburban Museum
Under Construction

Are there any other chip generated songs from either NiGHTS or Christmas NiGHTS that I should record? I still need to check the Twin Seeds track; I can’t remember whether that is on the game disc as a normal audio track or not.

I can convert any other (audio tracks; not chip generated) songs from the game CDs if anyone wants them, but the main aim of this was to provide the proper versions of the chip generated (level) music, given that the ‘soundtrack’ tracks were pretty dodgy in comparison.

Also, most of the other audio tracks from either the game CDs or the OST (only the chip generated ones were badly implemented there) can be found floating around somewhere; but my MP3s may be some of the first ones of the original level music around.

As Scott suggested, I’ve now looped them only once and faded just after the start of the second loop. I will get some, if not all, up very soon. I hope that they sound good to you, and that on comparing them to the badly synthesized OST versions, you find they sound a lot better! :anjou_happy:

Finished “Growing Wings” (Twin Seeds).

So far, there are eight tracks in total, and although it’s me saying this, they all sound fantastic!

Sadly, as written below (I really should have edited this one first :anjou_embarrased:), the downloads which were previously up in this post do not seem to work, and as such I am taking them down. :anjou_disappointment:

The proper tracks should be up on a reliable host soon. I will let you know! :anjou_happy:

P.S.: I’ll also record the short version of The Expected Enemy (from Zwei), out of interest, and put that up. Apparently, the extended version was on the soundtrack CD and in Saga, but not in Zwei itself.

I have been informed that the previously above downloads of these tracks did not work (apart from “Gloom of The N.H.C.”, which apparently does) - they must have got corrupted during upload.

Sorry! :anjou_sad: I will send them to SegaXtreme or Solo or something; that will be much easier all round, and that way they can be up permanently. If I get the downloads working, I’ll let you know.

Please check back! The tracks sound really good and I can’t wait to share them. :anjou_happy:

yeah. i was gonna post that they didn’t work x.x

:anjou_disappointment: Sad, huh?

Rest assured that they will be up properly soon; I’m emailing Flavkin from SegaXtreme as soon as I can.

Sorry again about the delay!

Ancient sent me one (Soft Museum) and i gotta say i didn’t know the different between OST/game until i got it. It would be great to have all of the music in this form!
It sounds very clean too, it will replace my OST ones =)

However i don’t really like the way it fades at the start of the first loop… if everyone else likes it that way i will just edit my versions when (if) I eventually get them!

[quote=“Scott”]Ancient sent me one (Soft Museum) and i gotta say i didn’t know the different between OST/game until i got it. It would be great to have all of the music in this form!
It sounds very clean too, it will replace my OST ones =)[/quote]

Glad you think so! :anjou_happy: I do think the tracks worked out a lot better than I could have imagined.

What Scott means is that I let the tracks play one whole rotation, then let the second loop start before fading it out. Scott told me that he would rather that the track fade out toward the end of the first loop; I prefer to have one whole loop of the music and then fade.

The tracks should soon be going up on SegaXtreme; IceMan2k says it’s a great idea, and I can upload them to his FTP site. :anjou_happy:

the reason i say this, is because if you play the track on repeat, it won’t loop properly =P

Well, cut it yourself at the appropriate point and voila! (winks) It shouldn’t be much trouble. Good luck! :anjou_happy:

To have them playable like that was not my intention; when being played normally like that, they would just stop suddenly. :anjou_wow: It’s much nicer for them to fade out, in my opinion.

I wanted to go all out and polish them off and have them sounding ‘professional’; fading out seemed like a good, sensible option. Besides, my tracks are recorded in such a way that you could reconstruct the loop infinitely if you’re good enough at timing and audio editing.

[quote=“Ancient Weapon”]

Well, cut it yourself at the appropriate point and voila! (winks) It shouldn’t be much trouble. Good luck! :anjou_happy:

To have them playable like that was not my intention; when being played normally like that, they would just stop suddenly. :anjou_wow: It’s much nicer for them to fade out, in my opinion.[/quote]

already done with fade =P