How would you improve Panzer Dragoon Saga or a new PD-RPG battle system

Hey guys,

This is something I had in mind for a while and I finally posted a topic on resetera. I know there are people who will post replies on resetera without even reading the actual topic (they will just read the title) but that’s life, the more we discuss the game, the more viral that can go, the better it is…

So I put the link here in case you want to read it, and you will be able to share your thoughts here if you don’t have an account on resetera.

IMO, I don’t think I would change the battle system (maybe only tweak it). I like the simplicity of it. Battles shouldn’t be too long and drawn out. I don’t think I would like making it overly complicated by adding all of those combo chains, inputs, and button commands.

I think if anything, maybe just make it so you can switch dragon forms on the fly like in Orta, add a few new berserk techniques, and call it a day.

I don’t think I’d change any major gameplay mechanics. I’d include some QoL improvements, like saving a dragon’s specific stats for quick form changes, option for toggled running, first person view mode (for looking around while stopped, not for playing the entire game in), get rid of the few glitches in those specific fights, and for FUCK’s sake, make the cursor stay on target between shots 100% of the time so I don’t shoot the wrong target when I pull up the gun reticle twice in a row.

With two thumb sticks I’d give camera control to the right stick.

I’d either remove any mentions of using three gun attachments at the same time, or implement the actual ability to do so, but that would destroy what little difficulty the game has.

Maybe throw in one of those end/post game dungeons that so many games have that throw on needlessly difficult challenges for completionists?

But the biggest change I’d make is a difficulty setting. I want Normal, Hard, Insane. The game is fantastic, but too easy.

If it were a completely new game, like a sequel, I’d say make it more complex, add in some shit, throw on equipable dragon parts, whatever…but a remake of the same game better feel the same, just look better and be a more comfortable experience. It would be so immensely cool to see this game’s unique art style and locations in a pretty new HD wrapping. Never going to happen.

A man can dream…

EDIT: For the longest time Eliot-Ness, I thought your avatar was that classic Audrey Hepburn image.

It is not.

Hey Eliott. I used to post on NeoGAF, I’m glad you took my suggestion to start posting on ResetEra. It’s important to keep PD fresh in people’s minds, because there are a lot of fans out there, more than I thought there were during all the years I’ve posted here and in the old Die Welt forums. I’d wager most of these people, given the choice, would back a Kickstarter immediately.

Anyway, regarding the question, yeah I always thought that a spiritual sequel to PDS could improve the combat significantly. PDS was amazing, but with all the berserk attack available there was room for much more strategy than was actually required to get through most battles. I think there’s a lot of different paths one could take with the combat, because the nature of the dragon as such a powerful creature allows for many possible nuances. I’m gonna have to think a bit about it, and I’ll try to post a proper reply, both here and at ResetEra.

Btw, the email I had used for NeoGAF is no more…and ResetEra also requires a non-disposable email address. My ISP no longer provides me with an email address associated with my IP…does anyone know how I can get a non-disposable (trackable I guess) email address (so I can join the forum)? Thanks.

Yes, please share your thoughts. It will help maintain some activity in this topic.
The idea is not to use XC2 as the perfect example, that’s not what I said. But if we can have some viral discussion here, it can help maintaining some focus on the series.

I’m pretty lucid what will help the series is not really how many followers/signatures we get. But rather if at some point, someone inside SEGA understands this IP has potential these days.
The GIFs with the Nintendo Switch are there to help make things go viral.
A lot of old IPs had a very common background. Panzer Dragoon has something timeless. And is very suited for a modern entry (remake or new game).

Btw, I could make an address because of the domains I own.
I won’t be able to help, the only way I know is having a domain registered.

Ah I see…so if I get a HostGator account or something like that I might be able to get one. Hmm ok

We used to have a fellow poster that went by the name Abadd that worked at Sega. I wonder if he still does. He might have a better understanding on Sega’s thought process when it comes to their old IPs.

Is there any popular game-related youtube show that could possibly talk about PD to its audience in some way? Or maybe there’s some youtube personality that often features Kickstarter-related content on his/her channel? Getting Sega to pay attention makes sense…but these days, people’s voice has huge sway so if we get people to remember they want it…things are more likely to happen (specially because you get more people entertaining the idea which is ultimately what keeps things alive).

He moved to Sony.