Horizon: Zero Dawn

It sounds like my kind of game; I might play it one day. Hopefully it’s not too explicit in revealing all the details of the back story. A large part of the appeal of the Panzer Dragoon story was piecing together incomplete information, much of which had more than a single interpretation.

Yes and no. Yes in the sense that it reveals a lot of details so you feel like many of the major questions have been answered by the end of the game, but there are certainly plenty of questions left unanswered as well. Rather than being boring data dumps, they often consist of small messages from people who lived in the past. You’re learning much of the background story from their experience. This is all mostly in the latter half of the game, however. The first part can feel rather slow, and the stories there focus more on the present-day world. With some exceptions, I didn’t feel the characters and quests there were all that interesting.

I just cracked my pants (not sure this expression exists in english but thats something you say in France when you do something not so… rational) and ordered a bundle (on amazon Germany, they were cheaper than France) of a PS4 pro + Horizon and also a copy of NIER as there was a good discount on Zavvi (coming from UK).

That plus Doomfist coming on Overwatch it is going to be a tight game time schedule :expressionless:

I find this game to be one of the most overhyped and biggest letdowns this gen. The game is not fun to play is boring as hell and I simply hate the stealth sections.

Nice, let us know what you think about the games!

Outside of the very beginning where you learn to play the game, I don’t recall any forced stealth sections to be honest. At what point did you drop the game?

I am enjoying the game. I like to play brutish and it seems it is possible. Maybe not with groups of 20 ennemies but you can still do it with groups of 3 or 4 ennemies. A bit like in Assassin Creed once you were familiar with combos and enemy positioning.

You can play stealthy but that’s not exaggerated I guess. As said, you can still go and finish in melee.

What I found weird is the engine and the way the camera moves. It dosent seem linear, there is a sort of acceleration, maybe to make it easier to rotate the camera but I personally prefer linear and flowing engines like the one in Zelda or Assassin Creed. It is a bit annoying to me but you get used to it…

Don’t want to spoil so I will just say this: I am at the part where you get out of the first zone of the game, so the world just got bigger and more dangerous.

How long is the game if I do all secondary quests ? I am taking my time and trying to finish them before finishing the main quests.

Now, with my PS4 pro, in addition to Nier, I ordered some ‘older’ games: WItcher 3, Uncharted 3, Fallout 4, Dishonored 1 + 2, Elder Scroll Tamriel (this one was part of a bunddle so I might re sell this one, MMO take too much time). I never played those but they had good reviews and there were sales so…

I stopped at around 60 hours with all side-quests completed, and an 88% total completion rate. There were still things to do but I don’t think there’s anything left in terms of story. Completing side quests first is a good idea. I didn’t think the game was particularly difficult on Normal, but you can’t get careless against the stronger opponents, and it helps being a few levels higher than required.

That’s a lot of games by the way.

Yea, I can see there is quite a lot of content if you do all side quests. I like the game more & more. That’s quite fun, I killed my first sort of mini boss tonight but had a horrible bug here:

Fix this @Playstation
Took me some time to kill & get stuck in wall !#HorizonZeroDawnhttps://t.co/2Y8KSOge8P pic.twitter.com/7bi9UdA5zU

— PanzerDragoonWorld (@PanzDragWorld) 1 août 2017

Managed to move from this beast to find out I was actually stuck under the ground textures ! Hope you patch it @PlayStation @PlayStationEU pic.twitter.com/NpoS6Zw7dT

— PanzerDragoonWorld (@PanzDragWorld) 1 août 2017

This “share” feature on the PS4 is pretty cool, it does all the redimension stuff & so on, so pretty easy to share on twitter. I hope they can fix the problem with that !

I think I am close to the end of the game, although you are never sure with Horizon…

I got the ultimate armor, need to test it in battle now…

There is an area south west of the map, which I have not explored yet. Are there no quests there ? Is it just an area for exploration and with one ruin ?

That armor arguably too good. Once you have that there’s no reason whatsoever to use the old ones.

I do believe there are quests there, though I’m not entirely sure.

Minor spoiler:

The number of allies that join you in the final battle depends on the quests you’ve completed. There’s an achievement linked to it. You also get an opportunity to talk to everyone before the final battle. I wish they had done a bit more with this, as the characters are not developed as well as in games like Mass Effect 2.

Yup, this armor is crazy, its like doubling your life points somehow.

I finished the game yesterday, and actually did all secondary quests before so I guess I had all possible allies.
Overall, I really liked this game. I will play the DLC for sure and the game is well prepared for sequels…
That red thing flying at the end, come on, it was a bit unrealistic…

Now I will probably collect all remaining collectibles, a few bandit camps, the hunting quests & tutorial quests (which I hate) & I guess it will be it until DLC. Don’t really understand the point in starting a new game+ as they call it. They give you body paint but that’s it ? Not going to re do the whole game again. I guess it may be interesting to do that again in a few years but not now.

Now I understand what I didn’t like when I first grabbed PS4+Horizon: the motion blur looked too artificial for me, but you get used to it.
Probably because I am a photographer and I have seen what they try to do with smartphones, they do digital blurring but that’s currently still noticeably different from you achieve with actual lenses. So this effect + the fact that the camera was quite close to the hero was a bit annoying to me but I got used to it…

This is the launch trailer for the new expansion:

Judging from the reviews, it doesn’t really change the formula all that much, and it’s essentially another 15 hours of Horizon: Zero Dawn. That’s good enough for me.

I will get this. Just wonder if I am going to finish ACO first or jump straight to this DLC…

EDIT: also if ppl are interrested in getting this game at an affordable price, base.com has listed the “Complete Edition” around 40€. It has the original deluxe version + DLC included.

I finished this DLC. It was a nice way to return to this special world.
There were quite a few quests and the main one was quite good. It’s designed as a side chapter, so the events still occur before the final battle in the main game so I guess we couldn’t have majore revelations anyway. I just wished we had more ‘revelations’ about the machines and the ‘past’ but I guess it will be for the next game.

A few shots I took, although I find this photo mode not as convenient as in ACO for instance:
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur

1 Like

Nice screenshots! I bought the DLC at launch but only just started the new quest. I’m not sure when I’ll get around to completing it to be honest, I still have Uncharted: Lost Odyssey to complete as well.

I recently played through this game, and The Frozen Wilds expansion. It’s definitely one of the most enjoyable RPGs I’ve played in recent years, and one of the finest examples of the power of the PlayStation 4 hardware, especially running on the PS4 Pro.

It’s best aspect, though, is the unique game world that draws players in. The fusion of technology and lush, open spaces, combined with an intriguing back story make Horizon one of the more interesting places to explore of recent game worlds. All this, combined with silky smooth controls of modern action games, as you climb up and grappel down ledges and mountainous terrain.

I haven’t played Breath of the Wild (although I have watched some of it on YouTube), so I can’t compare the two easily. Perhaps the new Zelda does some things better with regard to the structure of an open world title, but when it comes it portraying realistic feeling characters and environments, it’s hard to make a fair comparison there, and for some of us, those things are more important.

In some places Horizon does feature repetition, and cliches prominent in the genre, such as the fetch quest based formula (although this issue doesn’t overstay it’s welcome). But what I can say is that Horizon is an extremely polished realisation of both open world, story based, and action RPGs that have come before it. Usually games aren’t good at all of these elements, excelling in only some areas, but Horizon feels well balanced all over.

If you have a PlayStation 4, get Horizon: Zero Dawn. It’s the must play RPG of this generation.

1 Like

Yup, the reason I bought a PS4, and I don’t regret it.

Interestingly, it looks like Horizon: Zero Dawn will be getting a PC release. If you haven’t played it yet and don’t own a PS4, I recommend keeping an eye out for this release. It’s one of the best games of the console generation. I wonder if we’ll see more first party PS4 games ported to PC, e.g. The Last of Us series.

Horizon: Zero Dawn is free on PS4/5 at the moment; be sure to give it a try if you haven’t already. It’s one the finest of PS4 games.

I picked this up on GoG recently and plan on playing it soon. I was surprised to see it hit GoG, but since it is free on PS4/5, I guess the math made sense.

1 Like