Happy Waitangi Day!

For all the kiwi’s here. Even though I have absolutely no idea what the hell it is. lol :anjou_embarassed:

If I didn’t live here, I probably wouldn’t know either :anjou_happy:

Basically, on the 6th of February 1840 the Treaty of Waitangi was signed (although I believe that it wasn’t the actual date, since there were multiple signatures and it had to be taken up and down the country by foot). The Treaty of Waitangi was when the British and the Maori signed an agreement so that the British could settle in New Zealand.

However, it’s a bit more complicated than that, because there were actually two treaties, one written in English and the other in Maori. Both had conflicting information, with the English version giving much more power to the Queen. For example, the Maori treaty says that the Queen has “governorship” over their land, but the English version it says Maori chiefs “cede to Her Majesty the Queen of England absolutely and without reservation all rights and powers of Sovereignty which the said Confederation or Individual Chiefs respectively exercise or possess”. There’s still a lot of political debate over the treaty to this day, unfortunately.

I guess there is nothing to be happy about. :anjou_sigh:

Yeah, especially since it was on a Sunday this year, no day off! :anjou_disappointment:

decides to sing “Ng? iwi e” for the heck of it… and since it’s the only Maori/new zealand song he knows