Happy 10th Anniversary Sega Dreamcast

:anjou_love:

09/09/09, ten years has flown by :anjou_sigh:

Here’s a good article i was linked to, its quite good =)

uk.retro.ign.com/articles/102/1021947p1.html

:anjou_sad: I still love you DC

My DC is filthy yellow :S

I remember my mum and dad getting me a Dreamcast for my 16th birthday, which was the day after the DC launched in the UK :smiley:

I got Sonic Adventure, Power Stone and Sega Rally 2.

Sonic Adventure was beautiful and I really enjoyed playing as Sonic in 3D. Power Stone was good fun and a right laugh when I played against my brother/sister. Sega Rally 2 was OK, it didn’t feel like the Saturn original, and it came across as a bit dull. Overall though I felt really happy.

Today’s GameFAQs poll asks: “10 years later: Got Dreamcast?” This voting answer really irritated me: “No, I never owned one, and I’m glad I didn’t”, which received 1/3 of the votes. What’s that supposed to mean exactly? What kind of people feel rejoice by not purchasing something? I don’t get it.

Scott: thx for the article, I will make sure I read it later.

Alex: eww.

I’m heading to the party tonight. Yeehaw. Still have my old Dreamcast jacket, too.

And in a similar note, anyone see this?

kotaku.com/5355153/sonic-returns … 2d-hd-game

It only took about 4 years of constant whining and badgering.

They’ll doom it to mediocrity anyway, somehow, 3D was hardly the main Sonic games’ issue after all. Even when they had some decent ideas they cut them short.

I’m also disapointed to see it’s 3D, I was hoping for some high production value 2D, like Nintendo did for Wario Land Shake It where they signed up an anime studio it.

On the other hand the assets there do seem nicely stylised and like they’re suitable for platforming so perhaps it won’t be a “hold right to win” game with minimal skill required.

Still, you know the Sonic cycle. Also, Kotaku sucks.

Kotaku is good if you know what to use it for. They tend to have access to a lot of great information and don’t kowtow to publisher pressure. They also have a habit of publishing bogus rumors, too, but you just gotta take the good with the bad. Also, just ignore the comments :stuck_out_tongue:

As for Sonic, I think Sonic Team demonstrated that they still can do 2D gameplay very well with Sonic Unleashed. It was hampered by plenty of other things, but if they were to focus on creating simply a good, old-school Sonic experience, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. As for the 2D vs 3D, that’s just a matter of personal preference, of course. I could go either way. Seeing a sidescrolling game like Shadow Complex recently, it shows that you can recreate old school gameplay with 3D graphics and still be awesome.

Still, this will be the first “pure” Sonic game for home console in a very long time. I’m curious to see how it turns out.

As for the “glad I never owned one” crowd, I think it’s probably because people felt that they wouldn’t have gotten their money’s worth, since the console only lived for about a year and a half before being given up on.

Watching that trailer made me feel all tingly inside!!

I really hope Sega don’t mess this up, I would probably buy a current gen console just for this game alone. Even if it turns out rubbish, there’s always Sonic 2 HD to look forward to, however many years it will take to finish.

Abadd: yeah you’re probably right, people wouldn’t want to invest in a dead console. Me being me, I would have bought a DC anyway even if I knew it would be discontinued after a year or so. Good games are good games, regardless of a console’s lifespan.

PS. Abadd, will you be wearing the DC jacket to the party? Any chance we could get some photos :stuck_out_tongue:

About Kotaku, they also have a glaring grammar/syntax/spelling error in like 99% of their posts, they don’t do any fact checking, they pimp their opinions more than the topic at hand, and they never correct false information they pass as fact even when their comments and inboxes are buzzing with complaints… Which is quite often. I used to visit daily but it’s really gone to hell and seems to wanna stay there.

For the Sonic game, yeah, obviously I’ll just wait and see… I’m just not excited yet. Why are they even hiding the logo? It clearly overlaps with the old Sonic games’ logos, so eh, I hope they don’t do something stupid like make the protagonist someone other than Sonic, hence the hiding for a later unveiling…

Al3x - That’s only a problem if you consider them to be a news outlet or consider their contributors to be reporters. If you consider it to just be a blog about gaming (not to say that blogs can’t be of high quality/accurate/etc), then it’s less of an issue. Which is why I said that it really depends on how you view them. I just use it to get a quick pulse on the industry - rumors, warts, and all. If that’s your only source, then yes, you are going to have an extremely warped view of everything.

RYB: I actually forgot to bring my camera, but I’m sure others will have cameras. And yeah, I’ll be wearing my jacket. Already showed it off at work which caused a few people to laugh (though there are a ton of old school Sega folks here). There may even be (read: very likely) some shots of me on stage getting my karaoke on :slight_smile:

[quote=“Abadd”]I’m heading to the party tonight. Yeehaw. Still have my old Dreamcast jacket, too.

And in a similar note, anyone see this?

kotaku.com/5355153/sonic-returns … 2d-hd-game

It only took about 4 years of constant whining and badgering.[/quote]

You Get all the luck :anjou_happy: .

Anway… I remember getting my DC on Import in December of 98 , and just being jaw dropped at the graphics seen in VT3 Tb , and just loving the overlooked and underrated classic that is Pen Pen
Then in March 09 it was just a crazy month, with HOTD II, Blue Stinger , Marvel all coming out more or less in the same week .

For me though , the best moments was seeing and playing NFL 2K for the 1st time , truly unbelievable . Still today the animation and motion capture holds up , but even better than that , was playing JSR and PSO for the 1st time .
JSR is just one of the best games, Ive played, so happy , so colourful, so wonderful and so so SEGA. And PSO was just unlike any game I ever played before, and a true magical gaming moment, and gaming experience , the like of which I’ll never see again .
The sense of friendship, and the feeling of taking part in something magical was quite unlike any other game made before or since (even the bloody music had a magical feeling about it ) .
I used to stay on weekends to play this game , and I never been able to say that about any other game .

Saturn was better though :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Good news about the new Sonic . Sonic Unleashed showed the teams got plenty of talent and can make brilliant SONIC levels . Its nice to see SEGA getting it , at last .

Wonder If the game is using the Hedgehog engine

[quote=“Al3xand3r”]
Why are they even hiding the logo? It clearly overlaps with the old Sonic games’ logos, so eh, I hope they don’t do something stupid like make the protagonist someone other than Sonic, hence the hiding for a later unveiling…[/quote]

Stolen from sonicretro.org:

Scott, sorry for derailing this thread somewhat :stuck_out_tongue:

Ya, that’s what I said… It overlaps… So why hide it?

Some site contacted SEGA and they said needlemouse.com isn’t related to their project so that CG image isn’t from the game. I guess it could still be fully 2D then.

Quite the coincidence though, because the domain was registered before SEGA made this announcement. Perhaps it’s an artist involved in the game or something.

Yeehaw. Me, my friend Bridget, and Peter Moore :slight_smile:

Booyah!

Sorry it’s blurry - it was taken with my Blackberry…

Missed the karaoke. Had to work a little late :frowning:

[quote=“Abadd”]Yeehaw. Me, my friend Bridget, and Peter Moore :slight_smile:

Booyah!

Sorry it’s blurry - it was taken with my Blackberry…

Missed the karaoke. Had to work a little late :([/quote]

:slight_smile: .

I think Peter Moore did a lot of Good for SEGA in the DC days , as did SEGA America , while SOJ was just in a mess (apart from the gaming divisions ) , and Sega Europe complete screwing up with that complete idiot JF Cecillon in charge . SEGA America were putting many of thier past wrongs right , with a in comparsion a small budget , pushing Online , great line up of games, and effective advertising and press coverage
SEGA America even got the game cases right , with the DC. Using more or the original Art both inside and outside the case , and thankfully using the standard CD jewels cases , something which that complete tosser JF Cecillon couldn’t grasp , with the worst gaming cases you’ll ever hold (that would bust, just by picking them up :()

…‘needlemouse’?

Might be something to do with Sonic original name or the original name of the project ?

I believe that was the project name for the original Sonic game.

I honestly feel DC is probably the best designed console ever, for it’s time anyway. Or at least I would if only it wasn’t for the regressive controller function (aside from the progressive functions, lol). I actually had a JP Dreamcast before the US launch, not because it was that important to me, but my brother was living in Japan at the time and brought it back on a visit.

I thought 360 had a very DC-ish quality from the get go, but on the app side of things it’s been a very slow burn so far. Maybe that’s for the best, it’d be wonderful if MS and Sony both try to sit on this gen for several more years. I could almost see the PS3 becoming a lot like Saturn if they let it, and the XNA scene on 360 could become amazing. crossed fingers

Nintendo will clearly expand on the Wii brand soon enough I think, I really hope - and don’t think they will - they don’t try to jump the tech curve though. Hypothetically this console landscape is very groovy. Still it’s incredibly sad that no one has managed to make their online library anywhere near as cool as DC was in in only a couple years…

!!!

Online for DC was a complete mess. It was ahead of its time, yes, but a complete mess nonetheless. The standards for saving ISP data to the RAM were a complete mess, which is why saved info from one game wouldn’t be detected by another a lot of the time. Not to mention the spotty support for the broadband adapter…

As for online titles… Quake? Chu Chu? PSO? Sure, all pretty decent games, but saying that at least the X360 didn’t have a better online library is ludicrous.

Battlefield 1943, Magic the Gathering, Rock Band, Gears of War, Halo 3, COD4, Castle Crashers, Crackdown, Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress 2, Lego games, just to name a few. Not to mention the tons of little board/card/whatever games like Catan, Uno, etc. Oh, and streaming Netflix. Oh and game invites. And cross-game voice chat.

Don’t get me wrong - I loved my Dreamcast. But saying that it had better online than the current consoles is not just wrong, it’s crazy talk :stuck_out_tongue: