Gradius 5

OMG!!!.
Treasue done it again. This is the best shooter Ive played in years. Forget about the rest this is the best looking PS 2 game out there (well apart from ICO).

Im not even a fan of series, but this game is jaw drooping. Makes R-Type Final look like a 8bit game. Treasure are Gods. Shooter fans buy this game now!!!

BTW, This is 1 rock hard game

Leave it to Treasure to make another great shooting game in a time when shooting games are no longer as popular as they once were. Sega can’t stay afloat by making games for hardcore gamers alone, but that isn’t a problem for Treasure.

I wonder if anyone at Konami was kicking themselves when Treasure’s Gunstar Heroes became such a success all those years ago. That’s what happens when you deny your developers the freedom they need to create: they leave to found their own companies.

That’s the advantage of being a small, tightly run operation. Your overhead costs are much smaller, and you only have a core team to worry about. It’s much easier to survive on smaller sales numbers… if you’ve already had a head start. It’s much more difficult to start off due to the fact that you have no fanbase, but Treasure can always count on X number of people buying their product, even if it only is in the thousands.

I was amazed when Treasure developed Ikaruga for the Dreamcast long after Sega had stopped supporting the console. The game somehow managed to be a success even on a defunct console. I guess the Dreamcast still has a large cult following in Japan. It’s safe to say that Treasure really is a hardcore gamer’s company (which, btw, forged a strong relationship with Sega many years ago).

What do you guys think the developers at Treasure thought of Panzer Dragoon Orta?

Treasure have always been big SEGA fans (like Game Arts).

I bet they Liked ORTA, not least on a technical level.
It was SEGA that asked and encourage them to make an Arcade game .

Treasure rocks. Guardian Heroes is my favorite side-scrolling beat-em-up, and Ikaruga blows R-Type Final out of the water.

Now all I have to do is find Bangai-oh. o_O

I hear great things about Gradius V. I’ll be picking it up once it comes stateside.

After getting the piss kicked out of me by Ikaruga, I’ve come to the conclusion that 2d scrolling shooters are just too hardcore for me. I only made it through Gradius… 3 I think it was? through massive abuse of save states. V looks pretty damn awesome, though I probably won’t buy it.

Ikaruga was totally a puzzle game disguised as a shooter. I suck horribly at it too. But that didnt stop me from buying such an awesome title. I wonder what price point Gradius V will be at when it goes on sale in the US? I hope it will be less then 49.99, i just dont see the casual gaming public wanted to spend that much cash on genre they ultimately see as outdated and nostalgic. Who knows, i do hope gradius 5 sells well though.

Hmmm, I might consider buying it if it was priced under $49.99… if I owned a PS2, that is.

Game like that, the price should drop like a stone even if it does start out at the standard 50 bucks.

The game is coming for $29.99. Have had my copy pre-ordered through EBGames, among other titles. September is going to be an amazing month for the PlayStation 2.

I still hold Radiant Silvergun as the best Treasure game, so I’m hoping Gradius V tops it. Ikaruga is awesome, but it doesn’t feel nearly as refined as Silvergun does, in my opinion.

[quote=“Parn”]The game is coming for $29.99. Have had my copy pre-ordered through EBGames, among other titles. September is going to be an amazing month for the PlayStation 2.

I still hold Radiant Silvergun as the best Treasure game, so I’m hoping Gradius V tops it. Ikaruga is awesome, but it doesn’t feel nearly as refined as Silvergun does, in my opinion.[/quote]

It’s not as good as RSG.But Gradius is more of a pure and out and out shooter if you get me.

You will no believe what Teasure is asking the PS2 do handle in Lv 5 (reminds me a lot of RSG).

Soukyugurentai is still the best shooter I’ve played