Games that you’re looking forward to in 2017

What games are you anticipating that are coming out in 2017?

The Last Guardian was the big full price “must play” game for me in 2016, but 2017 doesn’t have a similarly anticipated title. There are always lots of interesting games coming out though, but never time to try them all. I feel that it might be good year to ignore new releases and play through some of my ever growing backlog. Sonic Mania is the only new release that I will definitely be getting, everything else is a maybe at this point.

Vane (from The Last Guardian developers) and What Remains of Edith Finch (from The Unfinished Swan developers) both look like interesting exclusive indie games on the Playstation 4. I haven’t seen any Xbox One exclusives that interest me.

As far as open world games go, Horizon: Zero Dawn, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and Red Dead Redemption 2 will likely all be good exploration games. And they will probably huge time sinks as well, so I may not play them. Is anyone getting a Switch by the way?

There’s also a new game coming out from the developers of Journey (hopefully multi-platform this time) which is expected sometime in 2017, so I’ll be looking forward to trying that.

Anything else? Shenmue III perhaps? I’d want to replay the first two Shenmue games before playing the third instalment, so hopefully we’ll hear some news about re-releases. It’s been so long since the Dreamcast.

Shenmue III of course, although I suspect it’ll be delayed. I too would like to replay the first two, and if there’s no announcement of remakes by E3 I’ll dig out the Dreamcast again and maybe see about picking up an Xbox copy of SII.

Halo Wars 2 will be a day one purchase too. I may pick up Mass Effect Andromeda and Sonic Mania, depending on reviews. And I’m sure at some point I’ll play Season 3 of The Walking Dead.

Thats about it though I think.

I will definitely be getting the Switch, if only for Zelda. I’ve been waiting too long; probably shouldn’t have bought a WiiU, but it was worth it for Smash Bros.

So far, I’m looking forward to:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Sonic Mania
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Yooka-Laylee
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Vane
Rime
Wild
Nier Automata

Possible 2017 Releases:

Shenmue III (very unlikely)
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA
Beyond Good and Evil 2 (very unlikely)
Freedom Planet 2

The Switch is a day one for me. I’d love to bring that everywhere with me and ruin parties.

Shenmue 3 is definitely my top pick for next year. Valkyria Revolution is one that’s in my sights now that I have a PS4 and not enough to do with it. Persona 5 is one I’ve been waiting too damn long for, Prey looks really damn fun, and (apparently) Phantom Dust is set for a 2017 release. So it’s shaping up to be a fairly good looking year to me.

definitely shenmue 3…

I think Shenmue 3 still needs at least 2 or three years, development…

The perks of still owning a working Dreamcast. :anjou_happy: Watching a Let’s Play may have to suffice for me if Sega doesn’t release remastered versions.

I’m interested in hearing your thoughts on this one. I see that there’s a PC version so I could play it without purchasing new hardware, but I’m not sure that it’ll be worth it. The original Halo Wars was okay, but there was a secondary quality to it (next to the shooters).

I’ll probably pass on Mass Effect Andromeda. I enjoyed the trilogy, but I feel that ME3 was a good stopping point. I’ve played a number of Bioware games, but there’s a sameness about how they’re structured too (I played through KOTOR 1 and 2, Jade Empire, all three Mass Effects, and part of Dragon Age: Origins). I’m interested in hearing impressions though.

The first two seasons are on my list. I enjoyed the Game of Thrones Telltale game.

I had forgotten about these two. Both looking promising. Rime at least looks like something I would want to play.

Maybe you and Karen can play Mario Kart together while everyone else looks on in disapproval. :anjou_embarrassed:

The Switch is a neat concept, although I do wonder how many people will use the portable nature of it beyond the Nintendo DS crowd. I sometimes play games on my phone, but that’s because of the quick and simple nature of the games; they are designed for quick session that can be stopped easily, they generally either have no sound or don’t require you to have the sound on, and I already have the phone in my pocket, so there’s no decision to make about whether to carry an extra device with me. Console games are often the opposite of this. When I play an immersive console game with lengthy cut scenes, in game audio etc, I don’t want to be distracted, I want to fully immerse myself in the story or world. So I generally wouldn’t want to play that type of game on the train. There’s a continuum here, so are Nintendo Switch games going to feel more on the phone game end of the continuum or the console game end?

I’m not sure how I forgot about this one… there are now two fairly certain games on my list: Sonic Mania and Phantom Dust.

1 Like

I’m looking forward to Gravity Rush 2 more than any other game. Other than that there’s Persona 5 and NieR: Automata. I think that’s about it.

I’m not sure if I want to play Mass Effect: Andromeda after playing Mass Effect 3. Might reconsider depending on the reviews.

I kind of lost interest in Mass Effect after 3 tied single player progress to either buying add ons or playing the multiplayer. My story in that world ended sufficiently enough for me to pass on anything other than a stellar experience with an epic story I have to experience. For the most part Bioware is good at world building, but poor at wrapping up their stories.

A good Sonic game sounds great.

For the most part, all the games I looked forward to have come out. Working on my substantial backlog is my goal. Finish the Witcher 3, Deus Ex: MD, Doom, Obduction, and a handful of smaller indy titles. Will probably play significant Dirt Rally, Doom 3 multi, some CS.

I do have Torment to play upon release. For that matter, I haven’t completed Pillars of Eternity yet either. Maybe a two year drought of interesting releases would be good. :grin:

This and the prompts to purchase DLC within in-game conversations in Dragon Age: Origins turned me away from Bioware. Around the time that EA purchased them. IMO a single player story should be able to be experienced fully without influence from external factors. I don’t know for sure that Mass Effect: Andromeda won’t improve the situation, but does it seem likely?

Well there is this:

In a surprising announcement on Twitter, senior development director, Chris Wynn, announces his departure from BioWare and his work on Mass Effect Andromeda. … It is with a heavy heart today to say that I am moving on from BioWare and Mass Effect: Andromeda, and returning to the USA

I don’t know what this might mean for Andromeda as a whole but what I know for certain is: This will probably be my last Mass Effect. When people start leaving a franchise it most likely will fall apart or lose its luster. Just look at what happened to Final Fantasy over the years…