Fumito Ueda/GenDesign's next game to be announced in 2023 and beyond!

Fumito Ueda, creator of Ico, Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian has just announced that he intends to show off his latest game from his team over at GenDesign.

In the latest screenshot it seems the game is centered around a caped boy standing under a towering, broken down space craft of sorts. The setting seems to be sci-fi or post apocalyptic. If so, this will be Ueda’s first foray into the science fiction/fantasy genre. I don’t know how this new image relates to the images he showed a few years ago; showing a girl and a giant, but it’s interesting none-the-less. Hopefully he shows it off this year and not 10 years from now!

https://www.thegamer.com/fumito-ueda-gendesign-next-game-reveal-2023/

If it’s funded by Epic Games, it seems likely that this won’t be a console exclusive (although it will probably be an Epic exclusive on PC).

As for the timeframe, I’d be happy for Ueda to take as long as required. These games are once in a generation masterpieces, but have so far all been worth the wait. There’s plenty of other games to play in the meantime and uniqueness of the titles makes them stand the test of time if you don’t play them straight away.

Yeah, his games are definitely unique and creative masterpieces! And as a result, we’ve had many copycats over the years: Majin and the Forsaken Fortress, Castlevania Lords of Shadow, Papo and Yo, Rime, Vane and Prey for the Gods, just to name a few.

I’m replaying The Last Guardian now and the game is blowing me away again, with how good it looks and the incredible animations and aesthetics! But, hopefully he shows off his new game soon so we at least have and idea of what it is, how it’s going to look aesthetically, and how it’s going to play!

1 Like