Favourite Dreamcast games

You’re alive o.o

Yeah I meant XNA, theres a semi interesting interview here:
computerandvideogames.com/ne … ?id=103201

What’s XNA?

I know you from somewhere else dont I? Artreus said that on Arkon’s forum! XD

Why? Because I got one before the other and didn’t know they were practically the same game. growls

LOL! I used to be the world’s biggest lurker; I think I posted on Arkon’s forum once asking for DoF MP3 files, but I was disappointed 'cause the files on the Undercaves were all in mono. I really wish I knew how to rip the music myself.
And that has to be the greatest Ecco quote ever written. :slight_smile:

On Topic:

Sonic Adventure ruled. That part on Windy Valley when you’re launched into the air…Lord, it was good. ^ - ^

They are the same game. The only difference is the translation.

I’m just impressed with all the love that Skies gets from DC owners. Too bad there weren’t enough people who actually bought the game, though.

I fear for the future of the RPG genre if games like Skies of Arcadia are ignored by gamers.

I can help you with the music part, I would not stop until I had a copy of the Hanging Waters and TheShrine of Controversy to listen to without playing the game.
It will do until I get a hold of the actual soundtrack.

I do have a stack of Dreamcast games I have yet to play, (finidnt hem at used game shops. yay. I am pretty tempted to try out Shenmue.

REZ (2nd best SEGA game ever0
VT
VO II (best looking DC game)
F335 (the real driving sim)
MSR
PSO
Shenmue II
Ecco
Resident Evil CV
Pen Pen TRiLCELON (so over looked)
SEGA RALLY II
VF 3tb
Samba De Amigo
Sonic Adv
Border Down
Cazy Taxi
SOA
Blue Stinger
JSR
Head Hunter
Rayman II
Sports Jam
Seaman
Ikarua
Space Channel 5 parts 1 and II
NFL 2k2

I can’t believe you still haven’t played that. I’m disappointed in you.

I’m still stuck in disk 3 of Shenmue. The game progresses very slowly and needed more quick time events and combat to punctuate all the dialogue. I loved the fight in the alleyway (“Get out of my way”.) and the bar fight that followed it. I assume Shenmue 2 progresses at a faster pace?

Shenmue 2 will be the next game I buy.

Where exactly are you stuck? I never thought it progressed too slowly, I loved every bit of it… The way I played atleast it seemed to me there was always something cool, like a cut scene or a fight or a QTE or reaching a new area or learning a new move or… I just loved it all… I stalled on purpose in places cos I even just enjoyed walking around the areas looking at every detail. Though I agree there could have been more QTE fights like the one in the bar I don’t think the game is lacking in anything just cos of that. It’s like the first Matrix movie, everyone wanted more action cos it was so cool but only really had like 2 or 3 really great fight scenes but imo that movie is awesome as it is while the next one which focused on action much more wasn’t as great. Imo.

I wouldn’t say Shenmue II progresses faster but there’s more things to do inbetween like take part in street fights and such. Better arcade games too though this time they are hidden in weird places rather than in a store. I hate the job you can get in shenmue 2 though, the forklifts were much more fun. But this time around as far as I can remember you don’t HAVE to get the job to progress, it just gives you a more steady income in case you can’t get money any other way if I remember right.
Overall I loved the atmosphere and game flow of Shenmue 1 more but Shenmue 2 has more than it’s fair share of WOW moments. The old man in the park and the events that take place at the Temple are a couple of my favorite parts. You’ll know what I mean when you get there :slight_smile:
Oh, also, the controls for the fighting are more refined as well (Atleast on the dreamcast version), it feels even more like Virtua Fighter this time around. Though not quite stilll, I wonder why they didn’t use the exact system VF uses, it would have been better imo. Still great like this ofcourse though :slight_smile:

I was searching the docks for some gang and then I just stopped playing for a while (I became preoccupied with other games). Now that I’ve completed Headhunter (the final boss was great btw), I’ll finish the game I started.

Speaking as someone who loved Virtua Fighter 2 (the arcade game especially), I found the modified VF free fighting combat system in Shenmue all too familiar.

If only the Saturn could’ve handled an arcade perfect conversion of Virtua Fighter 2…

Speaking as a massive AM2, VF and Shenmue fan, I thought the Shenmue combat system was clumsy, at best.

I never expected it to have the scope of VF, but movement was sluggish and combat in general descended into a button bashing effort to keep the hordes away.

One on one it almost held its own, but with multiple enemies it just couldn’t cope.

I actually encountered a bug in Shenmue: I basically did the same quota of crate deliveries for somewhere in the region of 22 days straight before I gave up. Apparently some mad angels were supposed to come and hassle me in Warehouse 8 (or was it 13?) and that just never happened.

Shenmue 2 is fantastic: I own both the DC and XB version. Obviously the xb version is much better in a technical aspect, but back in the days of the DC, this game truly was a revalation. Loved it to bits, probably in my top 5 games of all time.

I’ve just finished watching the Berserk anime series - this game has now become an essential for me.

Thankfully, one of the other forums I go to has a pretty good trading folder, and I’m getting it for nothing more than the price of postage. W00t!

The Berserk game actually serves as a sequel to the anime for those not in the know, so if you found the plot confusing at all, you can find the episodes any on p2p client.

Seriously, the anime blew me away. Before Berserk, I was losing hope for the medium completely.

cannot wait to play the game.

If the game was twice as long, it would’ve become an all time classic.

Sammy is publishing a sequel for the Playstation 2, but it will be based on a specific story told in the Manga series, or something. I don’t know much about the Berserk universe, so I’m lacking in the details department.

i thought sonic adventure 1 was great fun but not great (the chao are what kept me going). i kinda thought sonic adventure 2 was sucky… fighting police, flying space shuttles, and hijacking the president’s limo is sooooooo far from what sonic used to be :frowning: i think adding humans other than dr. robotnik was a HUGE mistake…

jet set/grind radio - possibly my favorite game ever

pso - i recognize the lack of depth in it, but i had a great experience with the online play

virtual on oratorio tangram - the fans should be considered on the endangered species list

ecco the dolphin - the truest conversion of a series from 2D to 3D and i loved them all (and i loved screaming obscenities as i watched ecco fall to his death)

starlancer - it’s also on PC but you should all check it out if you haven’t played it

chu chu rocket - it was dopey fun for only $30

space channel 5 - i think the FMV backgrounds were a mistake, but it was some fun stuff too

bangai-o - you all like treasure for making ikaruga, but have you played any of their other games?

and of course skies of arcadia, grandia 2, shenmue, soul calibur, and house of the dead 2.

I’m amazed. You had the good sense to buy Virtual On 2, but you PAID MONEY for Chu Chu Rocket!?

Anyways, my favourite DC games have to be both Sonic Adventure games, plus Toy Commander. Toy Commander was a breath of fresh air, and I really enjoyed it. Pity that No Cliche disbanded though.

oh yeah! i forgot about toy commander! i don’t dare estimate how many times me and 3 of my friends spent all night playing toy commander multiplayer! i know it was a lot but i’m sure we did it more with 16 player halo team deathmatch :smiley:

don’t get me wrong VOOT>>>>>>>>>chu chu in terms of gameplay, but i liked the single player puzzles and general silliness of chu chu.