Famistu disses PSU

Famitsu PS2 graded PHANSTASY STAR UNIVERSE 40 % while the new SAKURA TAISEN got 97 %

This game should have never been released on a crap system where Sony fB couldn’t handle a game far superior to FF. Sega’s pandering to Sony gets the usual result,a slap in the face.

40%? Wow. That’s unexpected.

The PC version will come with a few graphical upgrades, but now I’m beginning to wonder if that will make even the slightest bit of difference.

What worries me is that by the time PSU is released, many PS2 owners will already be thinking about moving onto the PS3.

Isn’t PS3 backwards compatible? Then it wouldn’t make as much of a difference.

It depends whether if PSU is a terrible game or just terrible on the PS2. Splinter Cell was terrible on that machine even though it was a good game.
These are the same people that rated NEO so highly yet people who i know have played it said it’s good and that’s it. It isn’t an outstanding game like Famitsu made it out to be,so i 'll wait until i can play it on a proper system or until someone reviews/plays the PC version.

Uh, how can a game be scored by a publication when it’s not even out of development yet? That doesn’t make any sense.

Sometimes publications get games maybe a week early or so, and you must remember this is in Japan, where the game could be out already. but last I heard it was supposed to come out Winter 05 in Japan.

Nah its a mix up.

Famitsu never mark games in %. It always 4 reviews giving scores out of 10.

Here are the latest Japanese game review scores:

Drag-on Dragoon 2 (PS2, Square Enix): 8, 8, 7, 7 - (30/40)
Inu Yasha: Ougi Ranbu (PS2, Bandai): 7, 7, 7, 7 - (28/40)
Kaitou Sly Cooper 2 (PS2, Sony): 8, 8, 7, 8 - (31/40)
Jade Empire (XB, Microsoft): 7, 7, 7, 8 - (29/40)
Chou Shittou Caduceus (NDS, Atlus): 8, 7, 8, 8 - (31/40)
Baku-No: Smart Bomb (PSP, Eidos): 6, 6, 7, 7 - (26/40)
Nonono Puzzle Chai-Rian (GBA, Nintendo): 7, 7, 7, 6 - (27/40)

• Famitsu revealed the completion percentage of the upcoming game titles in Japan.

Armored Core: Last Raven (PS2, From Software) - 90%
Dai-3-Ji Super Robot Taisen Alpha: Shuuen no Gingae (PS2, Banpresto) - 80%
Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves (PS2, SNK Playmore) - 87%
Genji (PS2, Sony) - 99%
Grandia 3 (PS2, Square Enix) - 80%
Kagero II: Dark Illusion (PS2, Tecmo) - 95 %
Kingdom Hearts II (PS2, Square Enix) - 60-70%
Phantasy Star Universe (PS2, Sega) - 40%
Sakura Taisen 5: Saraba Itoshiki HitoYo (PS2, Sega) - 97%
Saru Getchu 3 / Ape Escape 3 (PS2, Sony) - 80%
Sengoku Basara (PS2, Capcom) - 95%
Shadow Hearts: From the New World (PS2, Aruze) - 100%

Breathes a sigh of relief. :anjou_happy:

Heh, there’s nothing to worry about at all. At its worst, you can call PSU a PSO2, which a few RPGFan editors said it basically was as far as combat is concerned.

I played it at E3. If a person liked PSO, chances are they will like PSU. Combat-wise it just seems to be an upgraded version of the earlier game. For people who missed having a story though, there is one. I don’t know how good it is, but it’s nice to see more than a few text bubbles above people’s heads.

Has the combat been improved very much? Although I enjoyed the original Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast, I did feel that the combat was a little “clunky” compared to more fluid action games. Have Sonic Team added more variety to the movement of the characters?

Well we know from articles that they can now sidestep/strafe around characters and have up to 6 hit combos with special attacks thrown inbetween and quicker combos. And it will be nice to have Ai teammates in the single player (if they aren’t totally dumb that is)…

The AI controlled party members seem more aggressive at least, and can actually complete an entire combo, but they don’t seem to be anything special beyond that.

You can now lock on to enemies so your attacks will follow them, and switching between melee and ranged weapons is much smoother (you don’t have to bring up a menu anymore), but despite that I still had some trouble hitting enemies. The teammates are nicer though and a heck of a lot smarter than before. I wound up getting myself killed long before my teammates died.

I couldn’t quite figure out the combo timing though. I knew it was supposed to be 6-hits, but I don’t think I was ever able to string together more than three. I think if the handling is fine-tuned it’ll be better, but right now it’s more a case of more variety than better handling.

Sounds good. I’m looking forward to trying it out. :anjou_happy:

To get the last couple of swings in, you just use the “special” attacks. :slight_smile:

To be honest i would perfer a proper offline PHANTASY STAR using the old style of the first four games.

You say that now when I no longer have the game in front of me! :anjou_disappointment:

Well, you could have just asked me then :anjou_happy:

Anway here what Sakura Taisen V scored

Sakura Taisen V: Saraba Itoshiki Hitoyo (PS2, Sega): 10, 8, 10, 9 - (37/40) .

Should sell millions, just hope SOA/SOE bring it over here.