Emulation Problems with PDS

Hey everyone… im stumped :anjou_disappointment:

Ive been experiencing some difficulties and thought i would come to see if anyone with a bit of experience playing PDS on their PC could help me out.

Normally i would just give up with the problems i’ve encountered but i seem to have ‘misplaced’ the power cable for my Saturn and don’t fancy having to buy a new one considering i have this option avaliable to me. Also means il not need to keep using my precious disks! Anyway onto my troubles.

First off i decided to use ‘SSF_010_alpha_R3’ and after a bit of tinkering with the BIOS and Region i got it to run an American version of PDS i downloaded via torrent. The game seemed to run perfectly up until Disk 2 when you re-encounter the Guardian Dragon. At this point the game or the emulator froze after the Guardian Dragon broke free (stopped at the same place every time).

Believing it was perhaps something to do with the game file being corrupted i decided to get images of my own European DPS disks using ‘MagicISO’ and try them out. I noticed i could still load the PDS save from the previous game i was playing, so i gave it a go. Everything was the same except the music was playing at twice the tempo as normal and once again when i encountered the Guardian Dragon the game froze, only this time before i could even take down the gunship.

I’ve started a new save thinking that perhaps playing an image of my own European disks with an American save file probably wasn’t the best idea, however the music tempo is still at double speed.

What im needing help with is:

1. Should i try another version of the Emulator?
  2. Has anyone encountered the music tempo problem and know how to fix it?
  3. Does anyone know a place where i can download a fully working version of PDS (even if it does have the odd glitch here and there).

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated as right now ive not a clue what do to. Usually after a bit of tinkering i solved any problem i encountered but alas all my efforts thus far have failed.

Since you have the game, just rip your own discs. That should ensure it’s functional. Or don’t rip them, stick them in the drive.

I took an image of them. But the music speed is doubled for some reason, likewise when i use my disks in the drive. With the disks in the drive i can’t load the American save files, which im not really suprised about (just keeps asking to insert disk 2 dispite the fact it’s already in the drive). Though when i use the image i created from my disks i can load it.
Can’t figure it out.

Make sure Auto Field Skip is enabled on the Screen tab in the options, if it isn’t it could explain why the audio is speeding up (although the rest of the game should as well).

Yep Auto Field Skip is deffinatly checked.

Totally perplexed :anjou_sad:

Regarding your misplaced Saturn power cable.

The Saturn power connector is just a standard 8-figure 2 pin socket, a power cable from a Dreamcast, XBOX or PS2 should work just fine ;p

Anyway, I can play SSF 0.8a at full speed for most games but the audio runs slightly too fast, this was a known bug in the 0.8a though, as far as I’m aware.

Version 9 and up hardly run on my comp at all, despite being able to play at practically full speed/frame rate on 0.8a.

Bizarre, to say the least.

Are you using the “open/close” option in the menu bar IN SSF to swap discs?
It doesn’t work if you just eject your drive without setting the drive to “open” in SSF itself :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply Chizzles, let me know a few things that i didn’t know before.

Il keep the power cable part in mind if i wanna get my Saturn back on the go again :anjou_happy:

As for the Emulator yep im deffinatly using the open/close options. I think il just try getting as far as possible using my own disks images, il just need to put up with the faster music speed. When i get back to the Guardian Dragon il be sure to return with either cries of joy at getting past it or tears of sadness as i feel the emulator turning on me.

[quote=“Dragon Phoenix”]I took an image of them. But the music speed is doubled for some reason, likewise when i use my disks in the drive. With the disks in the drive i can’t load the American save files, which im not really suprised about (just keeps asking to insert disk 2 dispite the fact it’s already in the drive). Though when i use the image i created from my disks i can load it.
Can’t figure it out.[/quote]

I think the music speed problem is experienced when you emulate a Saturn game in general. The same thing happened to me.