E3 2011: New Child of Eden trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3o1CpOGIDY)

Looks great. Not long now until the 360 version comes out. PS3 version a few months later.

The trailer seems very similar to the ones we’ve seen before, but the game looks great regardless. I was hoping to see a Project Draco trailer as well though…

Same here. Even just another teaser to let us know it’s still happening.

Given Yukio Futatsugi’s dedication to quality, I can’t be surprised there’s nothing new on Draco just yet. So I’m trying not to be worried or anything…

CoE looks as good as ever though, I’ll look forward to your opinion of the Kinect vs pad experience in a few months Solo.

Sure. It’s actually coming out very soon. The 14th of June according to the above trailer, although I’m not sure if that’s a global release date. In any case, the Kinect controls should be a fun alternative to controller based gameplay, even if they’re not as precise.

Ahh for some reason I had September in my mind. Now I’m just all anticipation! Can’t justify getting a Kinect yet, but I’ll have to pick the game up.

I share your anticipation. :anjou_happy: You might be thinking of the PS3 version. According to GameFAQs, it’s coming out in September. Also, the 360 AU version is listed as the 16th of June, so only a couple of days after the US version for me (I’m assuming the AU and NZ release dates are the same).

OK it’s GOOD.

Exactly like REZ… 'cept very different. More regimented in a way, certainly with the little color coding element - ‘shootable’ projectiles are usually a violet coloring, as well as some other targets that resist the lock-on - which is actually very nice since things are so tripped out busy on screen. I sort of wish there was an option to have single button firing then it would play just like Panzer Dragoon, but I don’t see one. And it was initially off-putting that there doesn’t seem to be any kind of feedback on the Every Extend style beat matching except when you have max lock-ons, so it doesn’t reinforce staying in the groove quite as apparently as it should. But the mechanic adds a lot if you stick with it, and it feels just forgiving enough on the timing, unlike E4.

After one curtailed warm up on the opening stage I mostly breezed through the first three - on default difficulty. But then the third boss goes all bullet-hell on you and I just failed there a couple times, so the challenge is kicking in. It looks SO much better in the flesh, nothing else even close to it. REZ is all angles… Child of Eden is almost nothing but curves. Visually it’s as legitimately next-gen as I could ever ask for. And I can’t imagine anyone who loves the PD shooters or REZ could possibly be disappointed.

Add: Alright the fourth stage is tough, still haven’t made it through after several tries. And one big difference from REZ is that it can start hitting you with stuff way outside the viewing port, because you can ‘look around’ more as well. So there is potential for a more immediate frustration factor when I often don’t even know what got me. Not necessarily a bad thing, just different, so learning the patterns feels even more critical.

It sounds great. :anjou_happy: I’m out of town until next month, but I’ll certainly be picking up a copy once I’m back.

I should have the game tomorrow. Reviews have been very good so far (85% average score on Metacritic).

Having seen the full main course of the game now, it doesn’t exactly outshine REZ for me, definitely more focused and refined, but not quite as diverse. And I sort of miss the avatar and beam changes. But what it trades in novelty it more than makes up for in intensity. I might be making it a little tougher on myself, from the start I got rather compulsive about trying for those “Perfect!” multi-locks, and playing with more expedience could keep things getting out of control as much. But it’s just so damn fun when you can pull off several in rapid order, especially on odd beats; as I said it really adds a lot to the experience, especially for such a simple and optional mechanic. Gets me all pumped up!

And the Hard difficulty is… HARD. Like unforgivingly so. Only cleared one stage so far, so there’s a lot of direct challenge to look forward to. :anjou_love:

That looks beautiful! It?s a shame I have neither console. It certainly grabbed my attention more than does Rez, but those impressions are based largely on visuals, so my opinion may change were I to properly research the gameplay. Still?I?d happily play that on mute, I think!

After having quite some difficulty completing the first three levels, which I blame partly on not being used to using Kinect, I had no problem playing through the last two levels. Playing with a controller, while probably more precise than Kinect, does take something away from the experience, and the precision and input lag on the Kinect controls are actually better than what I had expected. Only the camera is a bit of a problem with the Kinect controls, as your hand also moves the camera and switching between hands or activating Euphoria can lead to sudden camera changes. Also, my arm is feeling sore after a few days of playing this game. You have to flick your arm forward to release the lock-on laser, and doing that a few hundreds of times in a row does have its consequences.

I feel they could have done more with the story though. As unique as the experience is, especially with Kinect, I don’t think the story really adds that much to it. That said, the game is still really good. I’m going to try finishing the game on Hard difficulty now to unlock the rest of the Extras.

Holy Crap ! …

This is the most increasable and stunning game I’ve seen and game with stuffed some with beautiful and stunning imagery and a complete sensory overload .

Games like this make you happy to be a gamer

As a suggestion, keep your hand closer to your body with your upper and lower arm bent at a 90 degree angle. When you want to release the lock-on laser, thrust your arm forward with palms out as if you were literally firing lasers from your hand.

I’ve actually been trying that, but sometimes the game doesn’t seem to recognize the motion and fails to release the lasers. I think it might be due to to me not “resetting” my arm to a 90? angle every time. I’m not sure if that technique would actually solve my problem though, it’s mostly the force that you move your arm forward/sideways with that puts a strain on the muscles. After looking it up the muscle in question seems to be called the brachioradialis. I’ve noticed that my arm movements aren’t as “violent” as they were when I just started playing the game though, once you learn the flow of the game you start to play more relaxed as well.

Hard mode is definitely hard though, I haven’t been able to complete the third level yet (the level itself isn’t the problem, but I’m not quite fast enough to deal with the attacks from that boss)…

Also if anyones is having problems with Kinect Tracking errors popping up: don’t install the game to the hard drive, it seems to be causing problems.

EDIT: something I have noticed about that alternative “release laser” technique though is that it doesn’t move the camera, which is somewhat of an advantage over the regular technique.

That looks really trippy.

I still haven’t played Child of Eden. Going to pick up a copy next week once I’ve completed some more urgent tasks… I just know Child of Eden will prove to be a distraction otherwise. :anjou_love:

Speaking of trippy, check out the demo of El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVykc7cmjyU)

I got this game last week and just beat it tonight. It’s amazing and beautiful; THIS is what more video games should try to be! The aesthetic experience is on such a high level that it seems to transcend being a game, and yet the scoring system is so challenging I know I’ll be playing this one for a long time to come.

It’s everything Rez was, only more so. I love it. It makes me wish I had a Kinect…

I agree, Nemoide, I agree.

The Kinect is a nice option to have too, although I wouldn’t consider it essential. For the most part I played through Child of Eden using the standard controller, partially because it’s a hassle to rearrange my living room just to play, partially because using the controller is more relaxing. The Kinect option is great as an alternative experience, so I’m glad there is that diversity of play styles.