Dubious Nintendo controller design

Okay.

So, I’ve been putzing around with a few Gamecube games on my Wii …

… and while the Wii Classic Controller does NOT currently work with GameCube games, there are a few design elements in it that don’t make a heck of a lot of sense considering.

The 2nd analog stick, and the ANALOG shoulder triggers don’t serve ANY purpose on ANY of the emulated systems.

N64 and SNES didn’t use ANALOG shoulder buttons … and the ONLY Nintendo system that had a second analog type stick was the Gamecube.

I know that Dragonball Z uses the classic controller … but, unless they’re planning on making some type of adapter or firmware upgrade, I don’t see why they included those features on the control.

I really hope they add support for the Wiimote / Classic control for Gamecube format software in the future.

(Though, I do have a GameStop wireless controller for Gamecube that works just fine in the meantime.)

That’s a bummer it doesn’t work with GC games, I thought that was its main point and that’s why it had 2 sticks etc… Weird.

The two sticks are solely for allowing it to be used with new games. The inability to use it with GC games has been long known.

Apparently the Wii reverts to a “GC mode” where it acts like the original gamecube hardware. So only GC controllers, memory cards etc work.

[quote=“PanzerPants”]The two sticks are solely for allowing it to be used with new games. The inability to use it with GC games has been long known.

Apparently the Wii reverts to a “GC mode” where it acts like the original gamecube hardware. So only GC controllers, memory cards etc work.[/quote]

Still, I see little reason that

A.) Nintendo couldn’t make a firmware / OS revision / update to deal with that issue.

B.) A 3rd party company can make an extention cord with a Gamecube wire on one end and the C-shaped input on the end of the classic control cord.

I share your disappointment that Nintendo weren’t able to accomodate the use of classic controllers with GC games.

As a counterpoint it is fair to say that the classic controller would be inferior for GC games as the Dpad is in the primary position not the analogue stick. It’s clear that the classic controller is targeting the Virtual console but also genres like fighters where a dpad is going to be desirable.

I’ve just bought a pair of wavebirds to use for GC games and as long as Nintendo keep their promise of keeping them compatible with SSB: Brawl then I’ll consider the investment worthwhile.

[quote=“PanzerPants”]I share your disappointment that Nintendo weren’t able to accomodate the use of classic controllers with GC games.

As a counterpoint it is fair to say that the classic controller would be inferior for GC games as the Dpad is in the primary position not the analogue stick. It’s clear that the classic controller is targeting the Virtual console but also genres like fighters where a dpad is going to be desirable.

I’ve just bought a pair of wavebirds to use for GC games and as long as Nintendo keep their promise of keeping them compatible with SSB: Brawl then I’ll consider the investment worthwhile.[/quote]

Yeah, I have a great GameStop branded Gamecube Wireless controller that works fine as well…

I just really dig the classic controller’s design…and the similarities of some of the buttons had me wondering if it would eventually be possible.