Discord vs Discourse

Great in-depth article comparing the uses of Discord (chat software) and Discourse (forum software).

We have a Discord and a Discourse (this forum) for Panzer Dragoon Legacy, but there’s certainly some overlap in how they are used, and I’ve sometimes asked myself if it helps or hinders us having both.

In particular, I liked the comments in the article about the requirement to create a topic being a “barrier to entry” for newcomers, but I also liked that the positives of forum software were highlighted, such as being indexed by search engines, open source, and generally more organised.

Which do you prefer: Discourse or Discord? Or do you like using both, and it depends on the situation?

Maybe someone will come up with a workable hybrid solution one day.

Discourse. I am old and prefer the forum format vs pseudo chat.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve often wondered if I like forums because I’ve been using them for a long time. But looking through the points in the article, and based on my own experience, I think there’s some clear advantages to the forum format in some cases.

I think I just like the static-ness of it if that makes sense. Chat boards can often be chaotic where as I feel forums are pretty consistent structurally.

1 Like