Anime

Recently I’ve been seeing some anime.There’s stuff out there which I dind’t even know existed (im talking about quality plots…).

So what are everyone’s favourite animes?

I recently started watching an anime called Mushishi and I just became a fan.

There’s no really story arc since the only thing connecting each episode is the main character a Mushishi called Ginko.Mushishis are Mushi experts and catchers.Mushi " are neither plants nor animals. They differ from other forms of life such as the micro-organisms and the fungi. Instead they resemble the primeval body of life and are generally known as “Mushi”. Their existence and appearance are unknown to many and only a limited number of humans are aware of them."

I recommend this to anyone since it’s pretty easy to catch on since episodes are self contained, which doesn’t mean anything as far as the quality of the story is concerned.

Okay I admit my persuassive skills aren’t that good but go watch it (it’s no licensed yet so you can legally donwload it via BitTorrent) :

mininova.org/search/?search=mushishi

Download the C1 ones (just the guys doing the subtitles and whatnot;C1 seem to be the best) if you want to give it a shot.

Anyways I wanted to make this topic as an anime in general topic so give me your 2 cents.An yep that’s an order.

I quite enjoyed the .hack//SIGN series. For those who haven’t heard of it before, it’s a story about a child who gets trapped inside a MMORPG and can’t log out. There’s a whole series of games for the PS2 and some other animes based on the .hack world, but I haven’t looked into them really.

The music is excellent, as well.

If you want to watch a good anime series, watch Berserk. It’s quite old (1997), but the story and characters are amazing! The manga is even better though…

Is a 1997 series concidered quite old these days? o.o What about, oh, the original Gundam series which goes back to 1979?

Anyway, I haven’t been watching much anime lately, last anime I bought was Read or Die (which was, as it is, a good little 3 piece OVA), but I have been reading alot of Death Note lately… and Naruto… and Fullmetal Alchemist… and Excel Saga.

I would recommend Last Exile. It’s a great series, with wonderful music, characters and a great story. If has some Skies of Arcadia and PD themes, like ship battles, and a mysterious ancient race. Check it out at anime news network for info.

Re: Berserk - I read the manga before watching the anime… I loved the manga (more on that in a sec… there are caveats), and expected that since the manga was so successful in Japan, they would give the anime AAA treatment. Not so. The animation is poorly done, and there were way too many comical elements added. That being said, the story (for the most part) is intact, and that’s really what makes the story good. They skip a lot of his early history, which is very interesting.

That being said, the manga has fallen apart. They’ve lost the tight pacing that was prevalent from issues 4-13 (in the Japanese version) and most likely due to the success, have tried to string along the story for as long as possible. It has turned from something very new and compelling into a more or less typical RPG style of story (characters and such are still very interesting). Well, to be completely honest - it’s not that new of a story. Very heavily influenced by Dororo, by the manga-master Tezuka Osamu (and the basis for Sega’s game “Blood Will Tell”).

Favorite anime series has got to be Cowboy Bebop. It’s more of a character drama than a sci-fi story, and the episodic nature of the whole thing really allows you to explore each character and experience a plethora of situations and emotions with the crew. By the end of the series, you feel as though you are a part of the crew as well, and each twist to the characters’ fates hits you that much harder. The soundtrack is phenomenal as well, but the ever-prolific Kanno Yoko. Both the story and the soundtrack are extremely subtle when needed, but have the ability to explode into action on a whim. Excellent stuff.

Manga I’m currently reading: Berserk (except they only release 2 issues a year now), Gantz (really interesting premise, horrible execution), Eden (interesting concept, story has grown too convoluted and now I have no idea what the point of it was - very mature sci-fi), One Piece (so sue me - I got onboard this one fairly late, but I’m loving every minute of it), Flame of Recca (picking up this one used - fairly dumb action manga, but picked it up because a friend of mine told me that I have the same name as one of the main characters, and became curious :P), Emblem of Roto 2 (series based on Dragon Quest that’s actually fairly decent - the 2nd series isn’t turning to be that good, however), and a few others that I pick up when I’m bored. Yes, I read a lot of manga.

(Was borrowing Death Note from a friend… excellent series. Last issue I read, though, was #8. Need to get caught up.)

Currently wathcing Kino no Tabi which is a little similar to Mushishi.Loving every second of it.I mean this is the kind of deep anime that really matters.

Also watching Death Note.Not bad.Episode 7 single handedly made me wanna continue watching the series which I considered kindda “poser”, if you will, in the begining.

Really? I’m not sure which episode that translates to in the books, but I thought the first story arc was fantastic. Very new, and I very much enjoyed the cat-and-mouse aspect of Raito and L. (Hm… I just realized… maybe their names are meant to be Right and Left?)

Well I haven’t gone out of my way to watch much anime for a while, but Cartoon Network’s Adult Swim programming block has aired some real gems recently. Fooly Cooly had become the most amazing anime I’d ever seen, by the time I’d only seen half of it. And Samurai Champloo is hands down my favorite action series, it’s always so much better when they stick to a plan and end the series when it should.

Here are some of my favorites:

Gungrave
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Samurai Champloo
Outlaw Star
Mobile Suit Gundam
Naruto
Full Metal Panic
Full Metal Alchemist
King of Bandit Jing

Card Captor Sakura :anjou_embarassed:

Favorite Anime:

To begin with, I’d have to say all Hayao Miyazaki films/including his Conan Boy of the Future 26 Episode series

Last Exile

Escaflowne

Inuyasha

Y’s Lecacy collection

Full Metal Alchemist

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

Samurai Champloo

Bleach

The Panzer Dragoon anime. Ha ha! NOT!

FLCL, Full Metal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Miyazaki stuff, Noein To Your Other Self, and some shojo stuff.

I’d recommend Rahxephon, Cowboy Bebop and Serial Experiments: Lain. Last Exile and Neon Genesis Evangelion are also worth watching.

Bleach

Inuyasha

Ouran High School Host Club

Naruto

Naruto: Shippūden

Most of Hayao Miyazaki’s movies

Serial Experiments Lain

Full Metal Alchemist

Death Note

And? O_o Are those anime that you like? Anime that you recommend? And why the hell do you count Naruto pre- and post-time skip as seperate series? >.>;; (Also a very very mainstream list by the by)

Funny, i was gonan make a simillar topic like this :anjou_love:

recently watched Howl’s Moving Castle, was pretty cool, different since its the first proper Anime film i’ve watched (i.e one not based ona TV series)
I wasnna watch Spirited Away, i’ve heard good things about that. And Akira.

Howl’s Moving Castle actually isn’t a Miyazaki original. It was written by a German author (IIRC). Spirited Away is pure, unadulterated Miyazaki.

I didn’t list him above simply because I don’t really consider him to be “anime.” He’s really in a league of his own.

I’m in the minority among my friends(everybody’s either in the Princess Mononoke camp or the Spirited Away camp), but I consider Miyazaki’s best work to be Castle In The Sky.

Really? Most people that I know generally think Mononoke is very good, but not his top. Seems to rotate between Nausicaa, Laputa, and Spirited Away… though his other, lesser known stuff is also awesome like Namida Poroporo, Porco Rosso, Mimi o Sumaseba, etc. (Sorry, don’t know the English names of some of them.)