A New Panzer Dragoon Game? The Curious Case of Azel R

Panzer Dragoon Saga would be a giant undertaking. And it would have to be done right, not half assed and with high production values. The Saturn version had small explorable areas so a remake would have to expand those areas. Actually, expand everything. Anything less will feel cheap and low budget for such a grand world.

Is Forever Entertainment up for the task?

Or possibly the creators of Panzer Dragoon VR (at a later date), or Futatsugi’s Grounding. IMO it doesn’t need to be Forever Entertainment who works on a Panzer Dragoon Saga remake; remaking the shooters 1:1 is a much less ambitious task than expanding an already grand-scale RPG.

IMO, give someone who really understands the series a large budget and we could see something that meets our expectations. Otherwise, I believe it is more worthwhile for developers to work on smaller, more manageable Panzer Dragoon projects like the shooter remakes and the VR game.

A big problem with AAA games, which IIRC Panzer Dragoon Saga was originally intended to be for its time, lie in production issues. We need not look further than the haphazard management behind games like FF13, Cyberpunk 2077 and others to see what happens when too many promises are made, when too many cooks are in the kitchen, when the suits micromanage the production just a bit too much to bear.

Ideally, we’d have a team like Rocksteady at the helm who have a track record of delivering games with exceptional direction and solid production values.

I think Forever Entertainment could be like Rocksteady but they have a long way to go if PD:Remake is any indication. They need better art direction and a better understanding of the game’s themes and roots.

The problem is: who pays for it all. Strange you bring up FF13 and Cyberpunk 2077 when both games sold exceptionally well. FF13 was so popular that we saw two sequels, and it has a female main character.

I don’t want to argue with you, but the costs of development at the moment are absolutely insane for an AAA title. I think a lot of people are taking this for granted.

If we see a new Panzer Dragoon RPG, I think someone is going to put a lot of money behind it.

Creative differences can be dealt with maturely, but sometimes that is difficult. Think something like Monty Python here.

Fully realizing an upscaled PDS would take a lot of money, but more than that we need competent people behind the helm. I think of Looking Glass Studios or Supergiant Games. People who know what they are good at and create games that play to their strengths. Really competent people will make games that stand the test of time.

When I think of competent studios, Square Enix doesn’t come to mind. CDProjektRed fumbled a bit with W3’s development and completely with Cyberpunk 2077 IMO. FF12, 13, 14 and 15 had very painful dev cycles and probably won’t stand the test of time.

So more than money, I think a solid dev studio is a bottleneck to creating great games.

1 Like