The Matrix Revolutions (spoilers)

To me , it was the other way around.

even though people are saying that it’s not any good I’m still going to see it, maybe just for the sake of it, I dunno, but it seems cool enough^^ I’ve got the game, it seems to be a mix of reloaded, revalutions and the matrix all in one beforee the other 2 films came outO_o I dont know that for sure, but some matrix reloaded bits are deffientaly in it

Why is it that everybody hated or at least disliked reloaded? I must be the only one I know who actually liked it.

Yeah, granted, the Zion rave scene was pretty damn stupid, but the rest of the movie rocked, IMO. The freeway scene alone was enough to make me like it!

To stick to the original topic, I liked Revolutions, but not very much. It was so entirely different in tone than the originals that it really threw me off. Not to mention, hardly any of it took place in the matrix, hence we were deprived of all the nifty battles that could take place there.

Granted, the Zion battle was pretty cool, but the rest of it was just so down-tempo. And the last battle was /way/ too Dragonball Z for my tastes.

[quote=“KythrenYukizora”]
To stick to the original topic, I liked Revolutions, but not very much. It was so entirely different in tone than the originals that it really threw me off. Not to mention, hardly any of it took place in the matrix, hence we were deprived of all the nifty battles that could take place there.
.[/quote]

I felt Reloaded was way different in “tone” then the Original Matrix was. Reloaded was just lame Martial Arts every 5 minutes with an arguably incoherent and ridiculous plot (when compared to how great the first film was).

Revolutions was truer to the first film i thought in terms of pacing and what not. It was a great mix of guns (something reloaded was missing that i felt hurt the film) as well as Martial Arts. The battle for Zion was awesome and intense and the last battle with Smith was just as epic i felt as the first time Neo fought him in the original film.

Hmmm… Well, I , like Aitrus, thought that it was Reloaded, rather than Revolutions that differed a bit too much from the original. I thought that Revs was pretty good. And the Zion scene was intense unlike previous scenes set there. Also, the Smith-Neo scene was very nice and apocalyptic. However, the Matrix doesn’t get the flash-bang-boom conclusion that it deserves, and thats my only problem with the movie.

I though reloaded was alright, but some scenes were just confusing…geez, I was just shouting, WHAT??? half the time…still pretty good though

I dind’t find it that coonfusing altho between Reloaded and Revolutions, I steel haven’t understood the story of the Matrix, and it’s connection with it’s mother and father…

I haven’t seen revolutions yet remember? arg, the things they say "you need to make a chioce but you’ve already made it, so go, make that chioce happen"O_O he says it so fast…not sure if that’s right but it goes something like that

It’s stupid.The plot sucks but they make them use a lot of worthless dialogues to justify the action and FXs.

I just went to see Revolutions today and I have a few theories/answers that may answer your questions:

1- Neo died. Im pretty sure of this, he wasnt breathing at all after Smith’s destruction and I think that his sacrifice was one of the Wachowski Bro’s main ideas for the films.

2- The story explanation for the Oracle’s change was that the french guy “killed” her after he found out she helped Neo. This is mentioned a couple of times.

3- The Oracle Smith fought Neo at the end, quite a few reasons to believe this:

• She/He was the most powerful Smith
  • That smith said “ive seen this happen”
  • The oracle’s body is in the place where that smith dies, much in the way that the girl appears where one of the smiths die.
  • The oracle knew she would be absorbed, she became the smith that would fight neo because of point 4.
  • that smith repeats what the oracle said to neo earlier

4- Smith saying the line that the oracle said earlier leads to Neo making the choice that the Oracle didnt understand.(IMO she allowed herself to be absorbed just so Smith/her saying the line would make Neo make the choice). The choice was for Neo to give up and be absorbed.

5- When Neo was absorbed he had a direct connection to both the source through the machine king and all the other Smiths. I believed the machine king/source deleted Smith via this connection.

6- When the Oracle says they will see Neo again someday I believe they were referring to the next One, there is one for every matrix.

Now onto my opinion about the film, I thought the first half was pretty crappy, bad timing and it didnt flow very well. The Zion battle/Neo, Trinity journey was very good though. However Trinity’s death scene took ages, i thought she was never going to get around to dying! Also the ending wasnt that good, left a lot of questions open and i didnt like how Neo lost to smith, i was hoping he would kick more ass than he did. In conclusion the best thing about the film was Monica Bellucci’s breasts.

Weren’t all the captive humans to be set free, though? If that was the case, then would there still be a need for a Matrix (except to for a place for the programs to live in)?

You see them reset the matrix at the end, then the architect says he will set free all the humans that want to be set free. Presumably some of them would want to stay. Still there is a new matrix at least for just after the end of the film, the humans had not been set free yet.

Hey Vyper, those were some good theories/answers in your previous post which have cleared a few things up for me, but inevitably there are still more questions than answers lol

1. Like Solo suggested, what would be the point in the Matrix if, after being “reset”, humanity would be set free? Isn’t the whole purpose of the Matrix to harness the “bioelectricity” generated by humans? How would the machines obtain their energy then? Perhaps they’ve discovered another source of energy, thus rendering humans redundant? It just wouldn’t make sense to start setting people free :confused:

2. Cast your minds back to the architect scene in Reloaded. The architect states that, with reference to Zion,

“This will be the 6th time that we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it.”

This confused me a little. If this is going to be the 6th time that Zion will be destroyed, then it has already previously been destroyed [size=150]5 times[/size]?! Eh?

How can this be? Are we supposed to be believe that [size=150]the whole of Zion[/size] has been destroyed, rebuilt, destroyed again, rebulit again, destroyed etc etc a total of five times?! There’s no way this could have happened in the timespan since the machines took over, which is about 200 years if I remember correctly (1999-2199). Zion is fekin’ humongous, I seriously doubt they would have the necessary resources or have sufficient numbers to reproduce after each attack.

I can grasp the fact that the Matrix has been reset several times with regards to Neo’s predecessors, but how can this happen in the real world i.e. Zion? I don’t geddit :confused:

The machines don’t really need people. Although humans produce a lot of energy, most of it goes to keeping us alive. About 1,000 people might be equal to a AA battery, or something like that. They would be better off just burning corpses.

Besides, there’s nothing that’s really stopping them from using solar power, if they could enslave all of humanity, they should be able to build a really tall tower.

To answer RYB, YES, definitely. All of the other “ones” went into the Source when the architect told them to, picked a handful of survivors from Zion, then get to watch Zion get totally obliterated. then they rebuild, and this does happen 5 more times. Neo was a rebel cause he chose not to pick survivors, opting to fight to the very end. At least it worked, tho…

Dopefish, scientifically speaking there is no way at all to generate power from a human, they were feeding the humans with dead humans so by the law of diminishing returns they could not get more power out than they put in to make the humans.

However in the matrix world it works so pressing on, RYB the architect said in 2 that there “were levels of survival the machines would be prepared to accept”(if there were no humans in the matrix) I presume this means that the machines could survive by using very minimal systems or something along those lines. However the reason they would let people go is because that is the agreement they had with Neo, he stops Smith and they have peace with the humans. As to why they would stick to this crappy agreement is explained by the Architect at the end, he says “what do you think i am? human?” to the Oracle when she suggests he wouldnt let people out.
I dont think the machines would have that many problems with people leaving, afterall if you were told you were living in a dream world and things were good but you could leave and go to a world were everything was shite would you leave? Maybe you would but i bet the majority wouldnt. Also some people were too old to leave the matrix(Morpheus says they only take children out in first film). Basically they would only let out people who wanted to be let out.

Also you are right about the Zion numbers thing, it doesnt match up. They say that each time it was destroyed they released 20 people to restart it i think. The machines could have rebuilt Zion to put the humans in but even so there is not sufficient time for humans to do that amount of breeding. 250,000 people in the sixth zion, it takes a long time for 20 people to turn into 250,000! The only thing I can think is that Morpheus got the current date wrong or its just another one of those things that doesnt make sense - its just a movie.

Also one last point regarding solar power, it seems the permanent cloud above the matrix world destroys all electronics, it killed the sentinels and shut down the ship when they flew into it in revolutions. Presumably it would destroy solar panels too.

you could convert the heat given off by a human into electricity or something else. If you had a lot of humans, then you would gain a alright amount of energy. But remember, it’s just a film, it doesn’t have to make sense does it now? anyway, one point of the matrix is that it’s not meant to make sense in some bits.

Being somewhat of a film buff, I’ve studied this series quite a bit… And feel that I have insight into much of the films’ meanings. But, this is also just my opinion, so take it as you will.

The entire story is a “hero” story… in this case, it mirrors in particular the story of Jesus Christ. As I’ve mentioned before, most stories are based on one of many different concepts, because they are all part of the human psyche and speak to the human condition. The hero story is no different. The Wachowski Brothers (although they refuse to admit one way or the other) more than likely based the story of Neo on the story of Jesus Christ.

Let me explain my reasoning:

• Zion: In the Bible, it is described as the last city of man, where the blessed would live. That one’s pretty obvious.

• Architect: Is God… More specifically, the Old Testament God. Whenever anything went wrong on Earth, he would “reset the system,” selecting a few chosen humans to start it all over (i.e. The Great Flood and Noah).

• Oracle: With the previous assumption in mind, the Oracle can then be construed as the Holy Spirit. She is the conscience. The soul.

• Neo: Jesus. Thus, completing the Trinity (more on Trinity later). He is the one. The savior. Where the Architect corrected the world by reseting it, Neo showed that the world could be saved through love and peace. And through choice. Other interesting things to note is that the New Testament is the 6th book of the Bible (and this is the sixth Matrix). Neo means “new” (and “Neo” is also an anagram for the “One”).

• Trinity: Her name is very blatant. Some people have said she is also part Mary Magdalen, but I don’t see it.

• Morpheus: John the Baptist. He led the way, telling people of the coming of Jesus.

• Cipher: Judas. Duh.

• The Nebuchadnezzar (sp?): He was the king of a rebuilt Babylon, according to the Bible, who had rebuilt Babylon from ruins and led the way to a new era. There was also a bit about a dream he had, but I forget what that was (the first Matrix had a lot of dream themes as well).

• Merovingian: This is actually a group of people who are supposedly the decendants of the people who crucified Jesus, I believe. In the Matrix, he is representative of Lucifer.

• Agent Smith: The Anti-Christ. In Revolutions, it is revealed that he is the result of the equation (that produces Neo) trying to correct itself. He is the antithesis of Neo. I have yet to figure out who is the third person in the Unholy Trinity (Beelzebub), though. Still working on figuring that one out.

The references go on and on. In fact, if you go back and watch the movie, in the first scene featuring Neo, the guy who comes to pick up the disk from him says, “You’re my savior. My own personal Jesus Christ.”

Also, when Neo dies at the end of Revolutions, he is laid out in a crucified position… (also, when the light bursts out from him, it takes the form of a cross).

However, the references are not purely Christian. There are a lot of Buddhist references, too. “The One” can be interpreted to be “the enlightened one.” Someone who is enlightened can see the world as it truly is. Also, when one is enlightened, it is said that one sees a bright light (as Neo did in Revolutions). Also, the Shaolin monks believed that one could only achieve a mastery of the body and of martial arts through reaching a state of enlightenment.

As for details in the movie, the One appeared in every version of the Matrix. As did Agent Smith. And every time, Agent Smith gained power as he did, but the One always reset the system, thus starting everything all over again.

However, since Neo chose love, Agent Smith gained more power than he ever had before. He was freed from the system, so the computers no longer had control over him.

As the Oracle tells Neo in Revolutions, his contact with the Matrix had somehow connected him with the Source, which is why he could disable the machines with a mere thought. At the end of his fight with Agent Smith, the Oracle’s words that came out of Agent Smith’s mouth revealed to him that he must sacrifice himself. Why? To reconnect Agent Smith to the Source, so the Source could delete him. (I thought it was very cool how the did the choice vs. inability to choose in the fight between Neo and Agent Smith, and why he was unable to forsee the true future.)

And actually, vyper03 is right. The human body requires more energy to stay alive than it gives off. It’s impossible to get more energy out of a system than you put into it. The first Matrix movie tries to get around that problem by saying that they use the electricity and heat “combined with a form of fusion” to produce all the energy. I tell you what, if you can do fusion, you don’t need humans for energy. It’s a very bad setup for the movie, but it’s dismissable because the rest of the movie is so well done.

“This is a hero story”

I think the word you were looking for was messiah :slight_smile:

Not really. It’s the “messiah” version of the hero story. Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc. are all versions of the hero story. This is just one in which the hero is a messiah. It adds certain elements to it, but it’s still overall the same thing.