Games that you're looking forward to from E3 2015

Besides the obvious mentions of Shenmue III (PS4 and PC) and The Last Guardian (PS4), what games shown at E3 are you looking forward to?

Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4) is a new IP that I’m interested in playing. Not so much for the gameplay (it appears to be a tired and true third person action game), but the setting: a post apocalyptic world where humans structure to survive in a world populated with artificial creatures. Sound familiar? Except this time, the creatures are robotic. Trailer:

From the technical perspective, Uncharted 4 (PS4) looks great, and I like a good cinematic adventure with a focus on the characters. So I will probably play it at some point, although it’s not a high priority. The Uncharted games are solid, if unoriginal.

I’ve never been a big Final Fantasy fan, so I’m not sure if I will play the remake of VII (PS4).

The Microsoft presentation did not contain much of interest for me, although a couple of the timed exclusives might be worth checking out.

One game that sparked my interest during the Microsoft presentation was Beyond Eyes (Xbox One and PC). You play as a 10 year-old girl who has lost her sight. The world initially appears to be completely white, but certain objects will be highlighted when she touches them, I guess representing her other senses:

Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox 360 and One timed exclusive) looks interesting as well, although I still haven’t played the “first” one, so I can’t say much on new general gameplay style. It looks more action oriented than the older titles, which I’m not sure is a good thing - I liked the sense of isolation in the originals.

More Halo and Gears of War (Xbox One) did not excite me. I guess I am just tired of straight up shooters. Like the FFVII remake, these will good for the hardcore fans, but I’d rather play something fresh.

Was there anything noteworthy from Nintendo? I have not heard much from them.

I also look forward to indie games such as Shape of the World (Xbox One and PC) and The Witness (PS4 and PC), although I don’t think the latter was shown this year.

With The Last Guardian, Shenmue III, and Horizon I think Sony had the best offering, but everyone will have their own preferences. Overall it was a good E3 compared to recent years.

Some random notes:

Horizon: Zero Dawn does look interesting. The design of the female protagonist is interesting, as it’s quite atypical of other games.

Mirror’s Edge Catalyst is something I’m really looking forward to, but I have mixed feelings about the trailer. The whole thing feels like it’s more of an AAA game this time around, but also less unique. We’ll see.

Rise of the Tomb Raider looks really impressive. I quite liked the previous game, and found it more enjoyable than the Uncharted games. A shame they sold out to Microsoft to make it an exclusive, but it won’t make me buy an Xbox One.

I’ve seen trailers for Beyond Eyes quite a while ago, and this one didn’t really add a whole lot more. Still, it looks really interesting.

Halo 5: Underwhelming. It’s more of the same and like Solo, I’m just growing tired of FPS games.

Mass Effect Andromeda: do I really want to start another trilogy if it has the same writer as Mass Effect 3? Probably not.

Star Fox Zero: What happened here? HD resolution aside, Panzer Dragoon Orta looked better, and I’m not even joking.

MIA: Gravity Rush 2 and Beyond Good & Evil 2. The latter is apparently canceled, not what’s up with Gravity Rush.

Apparently Star Fox Zero started out as a Wii game. So there is your answer right there…

Not much from Nintendo. The only game I was interested in was Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam for 3DS. I’m pretty disappointed…Still waiting for Zelda Wii U…

As far as Beyond Good and Evil 2 goes; the project is not cancelled, just put on the back burner along with all the other projects Michel Ancel is working on.

Aside from that I’m waiting for the next official announcement from the latest Square Enix RPG Project Setsuna.

“Codenamed ‘Project Setsuna’, the game promises to be a totally new role-playing game - not a spin-off, not a remake, but the beginning of a completely new series, created by a similarly new studio, Square Enix’s appropriately named Tokyo RPG Factory.”

Another game to keep an eye on is What Remains of Edith Finch (PS4), under development by Giant Sparrow. I recently played through Giant Sparrow’s first game, The Unfinished Swan, certainly a unique and engaging experience. What Remains of Edith Finch appears to continue that creativity.

Colour me a casual gaming philistine, but Fallout 4 and Doom 4.

The only exposure I manage to get from E3 is acquaintances telling me look up such-and-such… watching E3 is something I’ve never really done.

Last Guardian, Fallout 4, Shenmue III, No Mans Sky.