The future

I see ethical capitalism as a stepping stone towards a utopian future. It’s not perfect, but it’s better than the alternatives for now.

IMO, people need incentives. Some people don’t recognize that, and they project it into politics (you will understand if you ever meet such people). They might not even recognize that there is a problem at all because they have a different mentality that’s incredibly adaptable.

Systems of governance will only really change if people change. The way I see the current system, it doesn’t really work for most people. The U.S. has one party with two factions. It works for a few who have misled everyone else, or who have simply disenfranchised everyone else.

Isn’t that the people’s own fault for being ignorant?

We see a system built on a democratic process reflecting the most competitive parts of human nature, yet people keep voting for it, or do nothing about it, or can’t. When change does eventually happen, it can’t be about revenge. There’s a right way and a wrong way of doing things, and that’s not the right way.

I will add that book to my list even if I will probably disagree with the author. Thanks!

Also Solo, to return the favour, I recommend that you watch the anime Ergo Proxy. Human beings destroy the planet but are allowed to return in the end. >:)

As you mentioned earlier in the topic, liberty versus determinism sounds like another topic, perhaps worthwhile for another “mature discussion”?

I’ll keep Ergo Proxy in mind. It may be a while before I get to it though.

Incentives are discussed in the book I mentioned (which by the way is free on the author’s website in digital format). I found it dealt with hard questions like that well compared to a lot of other political philosophy which glosses over the hard questions.

I don’t think there is a perfect system. Just systems that are less bad than others. What is evident to me is that continuing with the capitalist system based on material growth will lead us to very dark future. Years of global environmental devastation are evidence of that. It’s no wonder that some writers refer to capitalism as a cancer.