The death of Star Wars, Star Trek and Doctor Who

I think that is ok as well, but at the same time I don’t think a whole audience who supported a franchise should be alienated from it with a lack of characters with whom they can empathize.

I ultimately think we need to go elsewhere instead of trying to change the minds of people who have decided on a new direction for a story.

The X Files was great. I wish they had included more episodes about the supernatural (the main focus was on aliens and UFOs), but when they did it, it was really good. And it has an great spin off series called The Lone Gunmen which is about a group of supergeeks who investigate some of this as well.

Star Trek had a great run. I actually think the name itself wouldn’t work today. The show had a huge focus on exploration, but over time it went elsewhere. And there are the costs to consider as well. I think there is the aim for equal representation or a want to put under-represented people in shows, but there another side to all of this where one group of people have their time in the sun while others are locked out, which I really don’t like.

I honestly think a great deal of people will look at something like the new Star Wars and feel left out, and at the same time, they will misunderstand the reasons. I.e. there are creators who will focus on female characters and destroy male ones to impress women. These people do actually exist and I find that sad.

In Star Trek Deep Space 9 the main character (Commander Sisko) was African American, but the doctor in the show wasn’t. There was something for everyone there. If not in that one show then in the whole franchise.

It’s not like there’s a shortage of heroic male characters in the sequel trilogy though. Finn and Poe, while flawed, are surely action figure material. Their failures make them interesting as characters (as with Kylo). If you look at Finn’s arc for example, it’s about learning not to run away; his cowardice in the beginning makes him more relatable than if just started as a brave hero.

The lack of female representation from the original and prequel trilogies was something that clearly needed to change. Even though the sequels had a lot of problems, this was something the sequel trilogy got right.

Star Trek Discovery is pathetic it has just plagiarized everything and doesn’t have an original bone in its body. I’m at the point where I can’t even watch these shows any longer.

I agree. But I think my point still stands (I read the rest of your post, don’t worry). It needs a white male Jedi hero. All those fans who supported this franchise for decades were suddenly left out. How they perceive it is the problem here. If it is made clear like the way you made it clear, that is one thing. But this went somewhere else I think. My first impression was someone simply wants to impress women. There are men who will throw other men under a bus to impress women.

I am out. But like I said, I know the real reasons for all of this. I accepted it, and went elsewhere. The new Ghostbusters has potential, for example, with equal male and female representation.

Look at how pathetic this is! Just try to watch Discovery after seeing this!

And this is what they did to Doctor Who!

There was a good Star Trek documentary about Deep Space Nine called What we leave behind. The franchise is partly the product of its time IMO. I should watch the new series. The Shakespeare in me wants to see how Jean Luc changed with time.

Star Trek had an amazing run. It had three hit shows and many movies. We should be grateful for that I think.

And this is a prime example of why Star Trek Picard fails to even come close to the greatness that used to be Star Trek the Next Generation!