Sony reveals PlayStation 5 details

Something unfortunate I just discovered: trophy lists for PS4/PS5 versions of games are segregated. I remember the PS3 → PS4 trophies for the few backward compatible PS3 games (Journey and The Unfinished Swan in my collection) worked the same way, with seperate trophy lists for each. In Panzer Dragoon: Remake there is a trophy for playing the game for 100 hours, although it may still use the PS4 version of the game in that case, since games with PS5 versions are seperate apps.

There’s another issue I discovered recently with the PlayStation ecosystem: the needless segregation of regions. It’s impossible to change the region of a PlayStation account, so I had to set up whole new account when I changed region. Now all of my purchased games, trophies, friends lists, etc are split across two accounts. On Xbox, I don’t believe there’s any problem changing region; your games and achievements will just continue on from the 360 days, and on Steam even before that. These aren’t game changing issues, but make the PC and Xbox feel like friendlier options in terms of maintaining a profile over time and caring about their legacy, especially with Xbox’s focus on enhancing older games and making them playable across four generations.

I think the PS5 will have a lot going for it with Sony’s first party exclusives, and with PlayStation being the only console ecosystem which supports VR, but besides these points, the Xbox Series X is the more compelling of the two in terms of value and friendliness. I just wonder if that will be enough to persuade people to go with Xbox this time around. Not everyone cares about the past or the quantity of games on Game Pass.

And of course, PC gives you VR and both Microsoft and Sony exclusives, although you’ll be waiting a couple of years for the latter. Sony recently stated that they’ll “continue to look at the right times to launch each game”, which has been about 2-3 years in the case of Horizon: Zero Dawn and Days Gone. But as @Al3xand3r said, “a single platform has more games than one can conceivably ever play nowadays”; perhaps that is okay for many PC gamers to wait a few years to play the big Sony releases, so long as those games arrive in their best form on PC eventually.

Another issue with backward compatibility on PS5:

I’m not sure what the upside of all this segregation is, but it is certainly not making me believe in generations.