Sega

Oh well. At least we can be fans of the old Sega.

I wonder if they will localize Shining Resonance. The artist is a famous Hentai artist.

Altina.

He’s great at drawing eye candy but I prefer the darker art of the original Shining games.

PSO2 seemed kind of generic to me too.

It makes me grateful that Smilebit even made PD Orta. I shudder to think what Sega would do with that IP nowadays.

Geoff PSO II is brilliant , totally brilliant and that’s just going off the beta . Also be sure to check out Generations and more Binary Domain .

I’ll definitely check out Generations. I’m keeping an eye on Shining Resonance as well in the vain hopes that it will do the series justice. It would have to sell a million copies to be translated no doubt however.

What did you think of Sonic 4, Shadow?

I haven’t played it just yet, as I’m still in the process of finishing Bioshock. It’s next on the list though!

Play Binary Domain above all else , trust me on this one

I actually quite liked it! Of course it’s not perfect, but no game is. It was a nice throwback to the old Sonic games though, and really quite reminiscent of them as far as level design and thus gameplay were concerned.

Looking forward to getting all the Chaos Emeralds and then moving on to Part II!

Yeah, and with no hope for a part 3. I’ve been waiting ever since. Thanks Sega for not finishing what you started!

I’d rather see more 2d console Sonic games than the 3d garbage we’ve been getting. cough…Sonic Lost World…cough I almost can’t stand to even hear Sonic’s voice any more…:anjou_sigh:

[quote=“Shadow”]I actually quite liked it! Of course it’s not perfect, but no game is. It was a nice throwback to the old Sonic games though, and really quite reminiscent of them as far as level design and thus gameplay were concerned.
[/quote]

My main gripe was with the physics (rather than level design). In the Megadrive Sonic games, Sonic is a marble. The 2D gameplay in Sonic Generations is closer to the flow of Sonic 1-3. Hopefully if there’s a Sonic 5 they will make it more like Generations.

My main gripe was with the physics (rather than level design). In the Megadrive Sonic games, Sonic is a marble. The 2D gameplay in Sonic Generations is closer to the flow of Sonic 1-3. Hopefully if there’s a Sonic 5 they will make it more like Generations.[/quote]

That was my main issue as well and I agree about Generations, that felt really solid to me. I found the running animation in Sonic 4 was a bit off too and there were far too many falling death traps.

What is so bad about the physics exactly?

As I remember it I think his start to full run time is too slow. Also, when you jump/bounce on an enemy and move to the left or right, he feels weighed down and drops down very fast, with little to no control moving forward.

In the genesis games you could destroy enemies and bounce around the level moving forward as long as there was an enemy in the air. He was more floaty and light.

The momentum is off in Sonic 4. This video demonstrates the main issues:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyzC3Rse5Gg)

Hmm, I did notice most of these issues. He does feel heavier, more sluggish to move from standing, and he drops like a stone if you stop pressing left or right.

However I didn’t feel like this really detracted from the game. It was never going to feel truly like one of the Mega Drive originals, so I guess I was open to there differences.

Finally got the last Chaos Emerald last night,the game is pretty challenging in places! Gonna take a break but then get started on S4 P2.

I finally played through Sonic Generations.

The 2D sections are very well done. Not perfect, but close enough that it felt like playing the Megadrive Sonic games. I agree with Draikin that (at times) it felt like the gameplay became secondary to showing off the set pieces. Particularly in the later levels. Also the levels offered less exploration than Sonic 3 & Knuckles (no special stages to find, etc) which is a shame. Nevertheless I would be very happy to play future Sonic games based on this engine.

The 3D sections are another story. Unfortunately the major issues with the Sonic Unleashed gameplay carry over. Sonic is still slippery to control and the player is punished if a very precise movement path isn’t followed.

It’s a shame about the 3D sections, because they could be better. I still think that Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 had superior controls. As a test I went back and replayed Speed Highway and City Escape in those games (both levels were included in Generations, but the gameplay is closer to Sonic Unleashed). Even though the SA games are in some ways less polished than Generations, I remain convinced that by taking away control from the player, the Sonic Unleashed/Generations 3D gameplay is inferior to that of Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. Sonic 4 has a similar problem.

Another questionable aspect of Generations is the inclusion of a level from Sonic 2006. That game was so bad that it was removed from the Xbox Live marketplace. At least the level was remade, but I would much rather have seen homage to a better Sonic game instead. Perhaps Sonic R, which was quite groundbreaking for its time. They could have grouped the Saturn and Dreamcast levels together and moved the Sonic Heroes level over to a post-hardware-Sega section.

I haven’t played through all of the bonus missions yet, but there are some gems. Such as a level where you must bounce a flag through the stage without hitting the ground, Sonic & Knuckles style. I’m glad this game was made even though I only liked half of it.

My favourite level in Generations is the remake of Sky Sanctuary zone from Sonic & Knuckles (Classic Sonic mode). Watch this video if you still need to be convinced to try Sonic Generations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC_ygep3TcU)

Good to hear you’re enjoying it so far!

Not sure if I mentioned this somewhere else but one really surprising feature of Generations that I ended up loving was the 30 second time trial mode. You have to try and get as far as you can through a level in 30 seconds and it places markers down to show where your friends reached so you can try and beat them. A friend and myself had a really long back and forth with it - it was probably some of the most fun I’ve had in ages.

The question Generations leaves me with is why are the 2D sections so different from their other attempts at 2D Sonic games and why haven’t they then gone on to monopolise on it? All I came away with really was that it is possible for them to faithfully recreate the Megadrive games with a modern twist but they’re choosing not to for some reason.

It is really sickening when the games are so disappointing, the fans have to take it upon themselves to make their own games.

Sonic: After the Sequel:

It’s probably due to the loss of creative freedom and a definite lack of Yuji Naka! And don’t get me started on Sonic Boom! I almost can’t even look at that game…

They may be convinced that Modern Sonic (which the Sonic 4 Sonic is based on) is superior. From a cinematic perspective this may be accurate.

I’m playing my Saturn again at the moment. I miss the Saturn era. Last Bronx was a great port, apart from the fence draw in, but I can live with that since it runs at 60 FPS. Japanese 3D fighting game fans were purists back then.