Sega considering revisiting Saturn/Dreamcast era

[quote=“Geoffrey Duke”]

You’re right that Japanese arcade gaming didn’t translate well into console success as much as what we see today. Too hardcore for its own good, or just too short lived in nature? Not all arcade games were suitable for home entertainment, but a few stood out from the crowd as unlocking that potential like Crazy Taxi.

I still have faith that Sega will make a truly perfect 3D Sonic game some day. The market for it is there and waiting to be tapped. The Sega we want doesn’t exist except in our dreams I suppose.[/quote]

The worst part is the Arcade sector should have helped SEGA gain an advantage in tech , This Generatin. Most Japanese developers were use to coding for only one platform or just a console , and as a result have found it hard this Generation working on consoles that use Middleware and are PC based .
SEGA Arcade teams have been using PC based Hardware for years , use to using HDR effects and so on. Yet its seems none of that knowledge and know how , was based down to the consumer Teams , even more painful when SEGA ex Consumer PC based Team Smilebit , did so much on the PC based X-Box , yet Yakuza onthe PS3 looks like a High Def PS2 game

I look at the likes of After Burner Climax , VF 5 , and Lets Go Jungle and there are pushing a very basic pentium 4 PC to its limits , VF 5 looks better than any other Fighter , even though the likes of DOA IV and Tekken 6 were developed from the ground up , for vastly more powerful Hardware than Lindberg . You go from that , something like Yakuza IV which has the most basic lighting and water effects one can see .

With regards to SONIC , SEGA have made very good 3D Sonic games, and Sonic Unleashed was a huge step forward for the Team (for me) . Its just again that its rushed out , to meet the Christmas deadline . When some 6 months more work , could have really made a world of difference .

That for me is the worst part . The old SEGA would jump on a Tread , and ripp-off a game , but put its own spin on it, and make it look world Class. That’s all gone now , and how does a company that done so much to try and get games to be played on line , fail so miserably to make decent use of head to Head gaming this Generation ???

I can but hope Sonic Team are at least making full on next Gen sequel to PSO . One that will put right , what was so wrong about PSU

[quote=“Geoffrey Duke”]

If only…[/quote]

Best not to get stuck in the past IMO.[/quote]

I don’t get stuck in the past so much as consider it a root or foundation. I do get annoyed with myself when I get excited about PS3 or XBox releasing compilations of my old favorite games. Especially considering I still have a few of them with all of my original consoles.

I am such a finicky gamer, though. It’s tough for me to find new titles that I actually want to play. The latest thing that has sparked my interest is God of War III.

I think what’s exciting about rereleasing old titles on modern systems is the possibility of HD enhancements. Rez HD showed us just how awesome a Dreamcast game can look with updated HD graphics and a widescreen aspect ratio.

TA: one day I still hope to see another 3D Sonic game that is both graphically cutting edge AND appeals to a huge amount of people. Sega really KNOW what they need to do to make that happen IMO if only they’d just stop worrying about following trends and focus on making a damned awesome game.

I haven’t kept up to date with the arcade scene in Japan. I know that VF5 was simply awesome for what it was, but as always, too hardcore for its own good considering how the franchise has always been more of a fighting simulator than a dramatization.

I wish I had supported Valkyrie Chronicles but I’ve been too broke. A friend of mine bought it when it was new so I don’t feel so guilty now. I’ll steal his copy. >:)

quote=“Snow Girl”

Best not to get stuck in the past IMO.

I don’t get stuck in the past so much as consider it a root or foundation. I do get annoyed with myself when I get excited about PS3 or XBox releasing compilations of my old favorite games. Especially considering I still have a few of them with all of my original consoles.

I am such a finicky gamer, though. It’s tough for me to find new titles that I actually want to play. The latest thing that has sparked my interest is God of War III.[/quote]

We can always play real life instead, although sadly, we only have one life. On second thoughts you are right: reality is boring.

Now I am putting words in your mouth. My bad!

The way I see it, gaming has simply evolved to fit the mold of the majority, and while real gamers are a part of that mold, they’ve been diluted by the rest or have become a sprinkling of their former selves.

I think their role remains as one that spearheads gaming into the future, then is reigned in by the tyranny of the masses.

Speaking of which, Starcraft 2 with its blatently American sounding name (Wings of liberty) is out soon. Woohoo! Time to dust off the guns of the patriots…

Ah well, at least the chicks IRL are good enough to tie us to reality… some of the time!