My theory on "Float Stones" (Waits to get flamed)

Dragons have obviously evolved to the point where they can ride currents of pure Plot Device, and are therefore able to ignore gravity completely :wink:

Or the Ancients simply had style and knew how (and wanted) to make things pretty and not just functionalā€¦

Thats how Iā€™ve always explained to myself how the dragons can fly. Especially with a riderā€¦ If they were designed purely like say a bird there is now way they would get off the ground. The body size to wing size is about that of the many flightless birds in New Zealand. So the wings canā€™t be the entire way they fly, perhaps they are used like the flaps on the plane to balance and steer as well?

If I believe correctly, Atolm did not have any wings.

As for the Float Stone theory, Iā€™ll keep it as fan-fic material.

You are not sure about Atolmā€™s wings? Ummā€¦ How could you miss them?
moonapples.com/lagi/pd3/creature ā€¦ atolm1.htm

The ā€œwater dragonā€ (if it indeed is a dragon), the boss in PD Zweiā€™s Episode 4, did not have any wings but could clearly float atleast for short periods of time. Of course for all we know it could have had the ability to float/fly for as long as it wanted and just chose not toā€¦ Or what stopped it from floating more is it had to go underwater to breatheā€¦ Or whatever.

Weā€™ve seen other ancient bio monsters that flew without wings such as the flying squid-like enemies in PD Orta and other designs in previous games that are little more than living rocks with beam weapons (if I remember right - I wish I still owned these games).

The Guardian Dragon and other big bosses can also fall in the wingless category (when fully armored the GD doesnā€™t really have wings, only tiny fish flipper like things).

Not Atolm. That other dragon, after you escape Shelcoof.

Guardian Dragon

Yeah, him. Anyway, it didnā€™t have ay wings. Neither did the Dark Dragon or Abaddā€™s Mare in the final stage.