Japanese PDS in 50Hz

the saturn can’t play true PAL60 unfortunately.

and actually thre isn’t much of a diference between 240p 60Hz and 480i 30hz… resolution of the images and framerate is the same, only 240p flickers a little less perhaps as it’s difficult to compute “real” interlaced cg images

I’m not sure of your context in saying “real” interlaced, I can only guess you may be referring to a few games that have turned on interlacing not to actually double the image resolution, but only for the effect of smoothing out the image, and reducing the visibility of scan lines on a TV. In that instance the flickering is not very noticeable because every 2 display lines are identical and therefore blend with each other.

Or are you just talking about forcing interlaced output on a game that’s still only running in 240p? If the game is running at 60fps it can look much more flickery if things are moving fast, conversely if you somehow force interlace off in a game that is designed for 480i resolution the effect will be frames that don’t quite match the geometry of the previous frame.

But if a monitor or TV is actually displaying in interlace then it’s “real” regardless of how the image was computed. However a game like Virtua Fighter 2 on the Saturn will look much more flickery because it’s actually treating the image as 640x480. I may be wrong but I believe at least parts of the image are effectively being rendered as 480p internally, (and certainly that’s the case in most Dreamcast games) so you’re only actually seeing half of the image data that has been rendered.

As opposed to many PS2 games that, if running at 60fps will need to compute all the geometry every frame, but only actually render half-frames for interlace display, which is I guess what you were trying to refer to about “computing” an interlaced image?

yeah, that’s what i wanted to say, only in simple everyday english so everyone can follow :wink: