Heavy Japanese Support for Xbox 2 announced; PDS II launch?

MSR isn’t really a sim either :wink:

D’oh. Missed the “sim” part of that sentence.

Well, it’s hard to be revolutionary in the “sim” genre anyway. The point isn’t for it to be revolutionary… the point is to be accurate.

The only thing I can forsee is giving the player analog control over the view. Being able to glance left and right, etc. and actually making it worth the players time.

Oh, and actual penalties for bumping into cars and walls.

Well, racing games in general, really. I can’t think of many examples where the actual gameplay in a circuit-based racing game has really differed from the standard “drive fast along a linear track, moving left and right to stay on the road” concept. Sure different cars handle differently, and there are various customization options behind the scene, but ultimately the gameplay seems to nearly always be the same sort of thing.

I’ll check out Burnout 3 if I get the opportunity though, Abadd.

Basically I’d like to see more racing games that are like what Power Stone is compared to other fighting games. Something different from the norm, and in many ways better.

Half-Life 2 on the other hand… :anjou_love:

Racing sims blow.Ther only one I played with real pleasure was the first Sega Rally.

Sega Rally is a racing sim as much as Athlete Kings was a sports simulation.

Hahaha… I was going to make a similar comparison, but that one was much better.

The problem is that, well, when you’ve got a sim, it’s based on something in reality. There’s only so much you can do with it, before going to ridiculous lengths to recreate the experience (extensive arcade cabinets a la Ferrari 355, etc.).

But, with general racing games, PGR has done a decent job, as has Burnout. Heck, even Need for Speed: Underground was refreshing. Not the best racing game in the world, but a ton of fun. I never thought you could actually make drag racing fun…

I’ve played Need for Speed: Underground (briefly) and it didn’t seem refreshing or different at all to be honest. A generic racing title - fun, but not overly original. I hear that you’re able to customize your car a lot behind the scenes, but does that really change the actual gameplay in any way besides the way the car handles and looks? I haven’t played Need for Speed: Underground 2 yet, however, which is supposed to add a lot more to the experience.

The kudos system in MSR adds a lot to the way the game plays though, IMO.

I personally hope that the PS3 doesn’t become as sucessful as the last two sony machines because it would be bad for the game industry as a whole. It would mean nearly six years of Sony being the market leader and it shows a lack of progression in the industry itself if Sony ruled the next gen machines.

And of course playing NFS:Underground 3 or 4 or another damn sequel…

Care to elaborate what this means? There’s been plenty of progression in the industry. The birth of entirely new genres, great advances in games as art, etc. If there’s an overall lack of innovation in most titles, it’s not because Sony forced developers to remove innovation.

Funny, coming from someone on a board that constantly moans about wanting Panzer Dragoon 5 :wink:

Tokyo Extreme Racer. About the only racing game I’ve ever really given a damn about. I thought that was fairly original, though I’m not sure if it could be considered a “sim” or not.

That was a Dreamcast game, wasn’t it? I think I’ve heard of the game. So what makes it stand out from other titles in the genre?

Well, for one the mechanics are more like a fighting game than a racing game :anjou_happy:

Basically you cruise around on a highway, and eventually you come upon a rival. If you want to race against them you flash your headlights, and then you start racing with them right there. You each get a “life bar”, and the farther behind a car gets the faster it’s life bar decreases. When the life bar gets to 0, that car loses. After the race, you get money you can use to upgrade your car or buy new cars. So it’s basically all 1-on-1 races set on an open highway with traffic, and there’s an emphisis on actually being ahead of your opponent rather than trying to reach a certain point before they do. Certainly a different way of doing it, and one of the few racing games that really held my interest. I got sick of trying to reach a finish line about 10 years ago.

So far there’s 3 (well, more like 3.5) Tokyo Extreme Racing games: 1 and 2 were on Dreamcast, and “Zero” (basically an extended port of 2) and 3 are on the PS2. All of them are pretty good, but Tokyo Extreme Racer made the biggest impact to me when it was released 5 years ago. I always thought that would make a cool MMO game where every player was a rival on the highway…pretty much the only racing game formula that would actually WORK as an MMO.

sega won’t release any games on xbox2 at all, since it won’t be more powerful then the ps3 and the ps3 has way more support worldwide then the xbox 2, the last 2 years sega has been abondoning xbox with astounishing success, gaing huge profits the last 2 years

You are truly a drunken sailor :stuck_out_tongue:
Anyways how can you say the PS3 will be more powerful if it’s specs aren’t known yet?And since when does SEga take into account the power of consoles when deciding where to “invest”?

Personally, it’d be the final nail in Sega’s coffin if Shenmue 3 and PDS2 aren’t released on an Xbox. It’d be an atrocious way to treat fans.