EA must be destroyed

What I don’t understand is why you yanks insist on calling it football. :anjou_happy: Have you ever heard of soccer? You know, the most popular sport in the whole world? That’s called football here for a reason: players use their feet to kick a ball around most, if not all of the time.

Anyone who buys a game made by EA is feeding a monster with an insatiable hunger for money if you ask me. Perhaps we will see C&C: Tiberium Twilight and a new Wing Commander game from EA one day. Of course, hell would’ve frozen over by then. Now that the competition is out of the picture, EA will continue to make vast amounts of money by selling the same sports games every year, while milking popular brand names for all they are worth on top of releasing an endless stream of liscenced games to a casual gaming public who really couldn’t care less about games in the first place (hence the term “casual gamer”). What is the point? Oh yes, money. EA’s shareholders must be drunk on greed by now.

Why do I receive the distinct impression that we haven’t seen the last of EA?

[quote=“Shadow”]

Ditto.[/quote]

Same with me =)
btw gehn… you know you can put a players name in as “teamtwo” and the real names will appear? :anjou_happy:

[quote=“Megatherium”]solowing nailed half of my point. the other half is this:

most of them really do. sure, they may pick up a movie-to-game conversion or a GTA or a halo somewhere along the line. the real point i’m trying to make is that the majority- not you apparently, nor the group that abadd spoke of- but the majority of people that play sports games are more interested in sports than in games.

they buy sports games more as pieces of sport memorabilia than out of an actual interest in playing games. and thus, the sports genre is a doorway through which hordes of individuals that are not truly interested in gaming become a part of the market and since they are so substantial, the industry does everything it can to accomodate them.

i was not really serious about abolishing any genre, i was just exxagerrating a point.[/quote]

heh ok then.
about the bolded bit… i think i will have to fit into this category also, so i guess you are probably right in that sense. But i’m sure there is a lot of other people that would choose sports over video games, ones that don’t play sports oorientated games.

[quote=“Neil”]What blows my mind is that people actually buy these fucking football games. I swear to god, it’s the same damn game every year.

I mean, I hate to sound biased and all, but why not get off your ass and play real football instead? :O[/quote]

:open_mouth:
now thats mean =(
but of course… i think anyone would take real life football (soccer) over a computer version anyday =)

I read the Penny Arcade news today, and thought of this topic:

penny-arcade.com/

(Read Gabe’s post, it’s beneath Tycho’s)

Scott:You’re kiddin’ ?

Shit, don’t ask me. I hate American Football (There, I put “American” in front of it just to make you happy :anjou_happy: .) Actually, I hate all sports.

Geek! points

There’s no better sport in the world than soccer/football!

about the teamtwo thing? No not at all! =P
Change one of the names in edit mode to teamtwo, and an option will come up at the top of the lists =)

'Course he would. He just couldn’t use the logos. I don’t think even America’s copyright laws are insane enough to prevent people from displaying images of specific shapes (I’d assume only the logos and specific names would cause a problem).

Actually, that depends. Buildings can be copyrighted. So can tracks. Did you know it’s illegal to use the Empire State Building or the Chrysler Building in a movie/game/whatever without express written permission?

Making something that looks like the original tracks without actually using the original track is tricky. At what point does it become a “different” track, rather than an attempt to cash in on a copyright without using the copyright? Very tricky, indeed.

[quote=“Jinx”]

'Course he would. He just couldn’t use the logos. I don’t think even America’s copyright laws are insane enough to prevent people from displaying images of specific shapes (I’d assume only the logos and specific names would cause a problem).[/quote]

No he wouldn’t . He wouldn’t be able to use the same track lay out (Never mind the look). making the game pointless.

For example nobody apart from SONY is allowed to use real life Rally tracks

Not that people would be able to tell the difference there, which is lucky for all other rally game developers.

(And I’ve heard something that the FIA hands out five F-1 game licenses a year or something. >.>)

biz.yahoo.com/bw/041220/190012_1.html

Since I’m not too much of an economics buff… what does that rhoughly mean? <.<

Now THIS is bad!!Ubisoft had an almost perfect balance of games that were both very good quality wise and sold a lot too.It was starting to be one of my favourite publishers.I hope EA don’t get much more powerful within UbiSoft.

Or else…

This is becoming ridiculous. EA will own the entire games industry by the time it’s finished.

Eh. The investment in UbiSoft is quite worrying…

Not official yet. If you read the article properly, you’ll see that it says, “to be completed upon approval by the [government].” They have to see whether or not this constitutes an attempt at a monopoly. Chances are it will go through, but we’ll see.

And EA would be stupid to change what Ubisoft does. I think they just want a slice of Ubisoft’s Tom Clancy money… but we’ll see.

Yeah. I’m predicting Splinter Cell 2005, Splinter Cell 2006, Splinter Cell 2007…

Well, we already have Splinter Cell 2003, 2004, and the upcoming 2005.

You were saying? :anjou_embarassed:

As long as they don’t get a chance to put their hands on the Myst license all is good.Hopefully Cyan will develop the next Myst game themselves even if Something Else TM isn’t it.