Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap

Is anyone a fan of the Wonder Boy series? I don’t think I ever played it, since I never owned a Master System, but I recall a friend being heavily into this series. Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap is newly released remake of the Master System game Wonder Boy III: The Dragon’s Trap. The original game was published by Sega, but it looks like they weren’t involved with the remake.

https://www.gog.com/game/wonder_boy_the_dragons_trap

The remake looks quite good. I like the fact that you can change between 8-bit and modern graphics in real time (Halo Anniversary style). It would be cool if 16-bit classics like Sonic and Rocket Knight Adventures were also updated in a similar fashion. Same gameplay, updated graphics.

I bought this on my Switch, its fun to play, although I never owned the original. And yes it’s cool to be able to switch between the two versions.

But the game is quite hard, mainly because they did stay true to the original gaming control. Also the progression can be a bit frustrating as you have to re explore the same 2D levels once you gain powers (or rather once you access a new hero form with new abilities).