The Will of the Ancients Updates Topic

Nice little pop at the fan fic writers there, Solo. :wink:

Iā€™m playing with a short story called ā€œHide and Seekā€, but Iā€™ve just got so much to doā€¦

Zing!

Canā€™t speak for everyone else, but I totally deserved it. Hehe.

:slight_smile:

Iā€™m just as bad at not finishing what I start too, though.

So, what did you have in mind for your Hide and Seek story, Arcieā€¦ a fanfic about Rhoda?

[quote=ā€œSolo Wing Dragonā€]
So, what did you have in mind for your Hide and Seek story, Arcieā€¦ a fanfic about Rhoda?[/quote]

Ah, you know, that never even came into my head. Nah, itā€™s different, no spoilers in advance I think. :wink:

I finally got around to updating the site with a few things:

Update #116

• Dragon Factory Theory by KBlack
  • Azelā€™s Awakening Theory by Jeremy Prusak
  • Azel PDRPG Teaser (the one with Atolmā€™s theme playing in the background - I always loved this one)
  • PDO TGS 2001 Teaser (some art from older games shown and a smashing ā€œcrestā€)
  • PDO E3 2002 Trailer (first in game footage shown of PDO besides screenshots)
  • PD1 PC Demo (with PDO TGS 2002 trailer)

Geoff, if youā€™re reading this, then Iā€™m going to get working on our article for next updateā€¦ I thought Iā€™d better get this stuff up first since itā€™s been over a couple of months since the last update.

ā€¦back to trying out the Battlefield 2 demo.

I noticed the new site updateā€™s up now; Robertā€™s article was a fun read, and should win some kind of prize for being the first PD article with a photo of an oatmeal biscuit in it. :slight_smile: My stuffā€™s more routine, really; the ā€œVersion Differencesā€ page is mainly info that Iā€™ve posted on the forums in the past, but only recently got written up for the site. If anyone notices anything Iā€™ve missed off that page, be sure to let me know.

Iā€™ve also updated the products / merchandise section a bit, though I havenā€™t marked the updates on the pages themselves - if anyone was wondering what Iā€™ve actually added, thereā€™s:

• Scans for the PD1 Original Soundtrack, the Azel Memorial Album, the Azel Official Guide and the Tiger LCD games

• New entries (descriptions & scans) for the bootleg Panzer Dragoon OVA DVD, some Saga and Orta promo discs, and some Saturn / Xbox demo discs that have Panzer Dragoon demos on them

• Quite a few updated descriptions, including the one for the LCD games (which was vague to the point of being wrong before).

If anyone has any comments / suggestions on how Iā€™m handling that section of the site, feel free to let me know about those too; I should be giving it another update in the not-too-distant futureā€¦

Great update.
I thought Roberts article was particularly engaging and well written.

Kudos to Lance Way and Jeremy Prusak for some interesting articles too.

Well, I do so adore my Hob-Nobs! Next to tea (no sugar, and the milk poured in after the tea), the immortal Blessed Beverage, theyā€™re the finest consumable snack in existence.

View Image

And no, McVitieā€™s didnā€™t pay me to post this message - although they should! :anjou_happy:

Iā€™ve just updated the site again. News update #123 includes:

• Created in the Ancientsā€™ Image Theory by Jeremy Prusak.
  • Some minor updates to the Products and Game Info sections by Lance.
  • A picture of Atolmā€™s imperial necklace.

Update #125 (at last!)

• Game Info Section Update by Lance
  • Translations Section by Kimimi
  • PD1 and Zwei OSTs now downloadable. (thanks lordcraymen, Ancient Weapon, and Lance for providing the original CD images).

Edit: I just found out that the Trivia section is causing some errors. Iā€™ll work on fixing this next.

That was a pretty beefy update! Nice to see Kimimiā€™s stuff go up on the site at last, too.

A question / suggestion, Solo: for really large downloads like the OSTs, have you thought about putting them up as 7zip files instead of RARs? 7zip obviously makes for really good compression, and WinRAR (the program) can extract 7zip files now as well, so it probably wouldnā€™t be incovenient for site visiters who are used to downloading RARs from TWotA. ('Course, the ā€œinconvenientā€ part is how long it takes to compress the things in the first placeā€¦)

Wheee! I hope people find my stuff interesting and/or useful! :anjou_love:

Itā€™s wierd, but since Iā€™ve been posting the translated documents, Iā€™ve been expecting some kind of critical backlash which has thankfully never happened (probably due to my bad experience starting out translating at Suikosource).

Iā€™ve actually tried 7zip in the past with some smaller files and didnā€™t notice any real difference, but how much smaller are larger files when compressed with 7zip? If thereā€™s a noticeable difference Iā€™d be tempted to switch to 7zip files, especially considering the open source nature of the format (Iā€™m a big fan of using open source technologies where practical).

I hope you guys are okay with the larger, and less standardised FLAC files, as opposed to MP3s which would play on just about anything. I debated a lot about that with myself, before deciding to go with the lossless files.

[quote=ā€œSolo Wing Dragonā€]
I hope you guys are okay with the larger, and less standardised FLAC files, as opposed to MP3s which would play on just about anything. I debated a lot about that with myself, before deciding to go with the lossless files.[/quote]

You bet your ass I appreciate it!

Itā€™s nice to see someone take a stand for preservation. Thank you for hosting those FLACs, I greatly appreciate it.

[quote=ā€œLance Wayā€]
A question / suggestion, Solo: for really large downloads like the OSTs, have you thought about putting them up as 7zip files instead of RARs? [/quote]

Using 7z or RAR or Zip or any other form of compression on something thatā€™s already in FLAC is really only useful for collating the files for easier distribution. The space saved from one compression scheme to the next is entirely negligable since the files are already so heavilly compressed (similar to trying to zip up an avi or mp3). You may save a meg here or there on a large file, but overall youā€™re not going to be saving enough space to make it worth the time spent compressing it, especially for something of this size :slight_smile:

edit - just ran some tests and it looks like running any compression over them just bloats the files. No compression/store for the win! :slight_smile:

[quote=ā€œKimimiā€]Wheee! I hope people find my stuff interesting and/or useful! :anjou_love:

Itā€™s wierd, but since Iā€™ve been posting the translated documents, Iā€™ve been expecting some kind of critical backlash which has thankfully never happened (probably due to my bad experience starting out translating at Suikosource).[/quote]

No we appreciate it. Truly. We always knew that the PD trilogy translations were slightly embellished, but the extent of that embellishment wasnā€™t always clear. Now if you start retranslating PD Orta texts, Abadd will proceed to destroy you. :slight_smile:

Good point - to be honest I hadnā€™t actually heard of FLAC before today, which is why I didnā€™t make the obvious connection of ā€œalready compressed data + compression = already compressed dataā€. :wink:

Has Abadd already done some? Or is he freakishly obsessed with Orta or something?

You could say that Abadd has already confirmed the quality of PDOā€™s game translation. So, thereā€™s no major need to retranslate it.

:anjou_love:

Geoffrey Duke already put me straight on that one - sorry Abadd, I didnā€™t know! :S

Update 126 is now upā€¦ update 127 (hopefully) coming soon.