The Last Guardian, Coming to PS4 in 2016

Really looking forward to this game, more so than anything else shown at E3 (yes, even Shenmue III).

Get out.

No, I too am also interested in this (and Ico / Colossus). When I eventually get a PS4, I’ll pick these up.

This might actually convince me to get a console this generation. How exciting!

Well finally! It took long enough. The waiting continues though…

Which reminds me I still haven’t gotten around to playing Ico & Shadow of the Colossus HD… :disappointed:

1 Like

They are definitely worth playing through.

Finally an explanation as to why The Last Guardian was delayed:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-explains-long-wait-for-the-last-guardian-and-/1100-6428391/

As expected, the delay was mostly caused by rewriting a large portion of the codebase to work well on the PS4:

"The project went on so many technical changes. We decided to move the project to PS4 in 2012, but because the PS3 code was so optimised for SPUs on that console lots of code had to be thrown away and rebuilt.

“It was a tough decision to move from PS3 to PS4 because it was running on PS3. But not at the performance [level] we needed … We knew [we had to decide] whether to continue the game on PS3 with a compromised vision, or move to PS4.”

And why they didn’t announce it earlier:

"We moved the project to PS4, and we could have said that the project was now on PS4, but I didn’t want to do it until the time when we were confident about our [release] window and we can show it running on PS4.

“My thing was, when we re-announced The Last Guardian, we had to have it totally running on PS4 at the right performance and be confident about the release window that we announced. In our mind, we have the tech, vision, and design down. Lots of levels have already been made, so we are confident about 2016, so we [announced] it.”

The whole article is worth reading if you’re interested in the development of the game, as well as the linked article discussing The Last Guardian’s connection to Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.

I believe the Ico and Shadow of the Colossus collection is only on PS3. PS4 is not backward compatible. (Edit: unless you mean via Playstation Now - in which case, I hope your connection is solid. I wouldn’t trust it for immersive games like Ico.)

I’d bet my last lira that they’ll be rereleased on PS4 before I get one!

I’m wondering about that. Sony tends to release HD remasters of games from the previous generation, e.g. God of War, Ico/Colossus collections on PS3, or Uncharted, Last of Us, and Journey remasters on PS4. But have we seen any examples of PS1 era games being rereleased on PS3 or PS2 era games being rereleased again on PS4?

If they did, that would be a definite console sale for me. Shadows is one of those games like PDS that is timeless.

1 Like

I’m just scunnered it never arrived on PS3… ah well at least it’s not been cancelled.

I’m still in two minds whether or not to buy a console this generation, I always said I wouldn’t but after this years E3 my resolve is being tested somewhat.