So I seen tne new Star Wars pic (NOW CONTAINS SPOILERS)

[quote=“Goonboy Panzer”]In the first half of the movie,Anakin and Obi Wan saved Palpatine from a ship that was basically going to crash. Now the guy wasn’t concerned about this fact regardless how it turned out in the end.These guys were crawling around broken eleavator shafts for god’s sake.
.[/quote]

What exactly do you mean?Palpatine wasn’t concerned?Why should he be?
And what’s wrong with crawling around broken elevator shafts?

Well, according to an Exapnded Universe novel, an instant before his frail body slammed against something rather heavy the Emperor successfully transmitted his consciousness into a clone body far away from Endor - and, indeed, he had and entire army of replacement bodies to sustain his spirit effectively indefinitely.

Of course, this being the phenomenally stupid and uniformly dire waste of wood pulp that is the Expanded Universe, the New Republic summarily destroyed all of his clones, caused him to tear apart his own invincible Eclipse-class Star Destroyer (even larger than a Super Star Destroyer) and then banished him to the depths of the Force for all time in an obscenely easy way without doing so much as working up a sweat.

God Almighty, the people who write those terrible novels should be shot. :anjou_angry:

[quote=“Gehpnaet”]

[quote=“Goonboy Panzer”]In the first half of the movie,Anakin and Obi Wan saved Palpatine from a ship that was basically going to crash. Now the guy wasn’t concerned about this fact regardless how it turned out in the end.These guys were crawling around broken eleavator shafts for god’s sake.
.[/quote]

What exactly do you mean?Palpatine wasn’t concerned?Why should he be?
And what’s wrong with crawling around broken elevator shafts?[/quote]

It should be obvious. But I’m not going to waste my time spelling it out to someone who thinks that the prequel trilogy is better than the OT.Good for a laugh,though.

You have issues.You like coming up with dissagreements between people.Fine you don’t have to talk to me if you don’t want to.

I don’t have “issues” as i’m not american. Another thing if you seen the movie then it’s perfectly clear what i’m talking about even from the original post i made so i don’t see the point in S-P-E-L-L-I-N-I-N-G it out for you.

But your probably one of the people who thought Palpatine and Sidious were two different people when TPM actually started the PT.

Stop beeing stupid and pretensious.

Of course Palpatine wasn’t worried about the fact the ship was going to crash.He was confident in The Jedi’s abilities.

easy answer. The thing is it could have gone wrong rhat’s the point. if they hadn’t succeeded in getting him off the ship then what? But wait you don’t need to answer that because your thick brain needs everything to be shown to you with out thinking what lies between the lines.

Was that intentionally ironic? I’m not sure.

Bwahahaha… I didn’t even notice that, Arcie :smiley:

As for the whole thing on the ship, have you not forgotten the Emperor’s limited precognitive abilities? I quote: “Everything is proceeding as I have forseen.” (one of the best delivered lines in the original trilogy)

Only Luke messes up that equation.

But, to agree with Kadamose, it’s pretty odd that you think the new trilogy is better than the old. There is a lack of any character development beyond, “Now this is the scene where I get mad and you can tell I’m mad because I made an angry face.” There was no subtlety in the storytelling, no believable characters (aside from the Emperor and Obi-wan, the only two saving graces of the new trilogy, aside from the action).

I enjoyed Ep. 3 as much as the next guy, but it lacked the emotional weight it should have had. The fall of Anakin was handled far too quickly (I know there was build up prior to that specific scene, but there is a significant gap between the emotions he was feeling prior, to the actual leap he makes). And still, some of the dialog was horrendous. Particularly the love scenes. Blech. Although, I have a theory that Hayden Christiansen was simply trying to mimic James Earl Jones’ speech cadence, and was just failing miserably… It was on George Lucas’ shoulders to knock some sense into him and let him know it wasn’t working.

While certainly Luke’s acting could have been better, the rest of the cast was great. Was Han Solo academy award-winning material? No, but it was charming and everyone who saw the movie wanted to be just like him.

You’re the one stupid enough no to see between the lines.In Star Wars there is something called destiny (or the force whatever you want to call it).Palpatine knows Anakin as a destiny.Don’t reply to this if it’s just an excuse to insult because i have some better things to do.

And Abadd I don’t think the Emperor can in fact predict such things,I believe he has to take risks in order to achieve his goal and that he is sure Anakin’s destiny will be fulfilled (therefore neither them with die in that ship).

As for my preferences I’m not gonna argue about it of course but I personally think Ep3 was more believable than any of ther movies.
I personally had a bit of difficult seeing this proclamed prettyboy playing Anakin but i admit he did a good job in Ep3.

I honestly think the character development in any fo the new movies is better than in the old ones except for Han Solo and Leia who I thought were both top notch.Different kind of acting was needed to play each of the trilogies.You will (jedi mind trick) agree with me when I say the old trilogy hadn’t as much hate (for example) portrayed in it.

I personally think the people who fell in love with the old trilogy and still prefer it did so because of the charisma of the characters.You can’t see a Han Solo in any of the new movies.

[quote=“Abadd”]Bwahahaha… I didn’t even notice that, Arcie :smiley:

As for the whole thing on the ship, have you not forgotten the Emperor’s limited precognitive abilities? I quote: “Everything is proceeding as I have forseen.” (one of the best delivered lines in the original trilogy)

Only Luke messes up that equation.

him.[/quote]

But using that logic there were many events that nearly messes up the emperor’s plans one being the fight with Mace Windu. It’s obvious that Palpatine set the whole thing up knowing that the head of the jedi council would show up to arrest him and knowing of his dislike for Anakin would be the perfect tool to get him to turn. The actual battle was a stalling tactic because Papatine clearly finishes off the rest of the jedi masters then seems to be playing with mace. Mace ups his game and flings palps across the room with his weapon cleared out the window. Palpatine for the first time seems to panic then comes back to his manipulative mode when Anakin finally shows up. Palpatine can oly see the end result but not how it plays out. Unlike the last two prequels Palpatine puts himself in considerable danger. my point is that he always has a back up plan. The fact he was in a burning ship in space when things could have gone wrong means to me he must have been able to get out of it if the jedi failed in the mission.

Ah, yes. I see what you mean. But I don’t doubt that he had a backup plan. As for the fight with Mace, I didn’t get the impression he was ever out of control of the situation. He needed to put himself in that position in order to sway Anakin; it wasn’t because Mace surprised him. Just the way he jumps up completely unharmed (save for his mutilated face) at the end of the fight only shows that it was just an act.

So it no longer seems strange to you now?

Your missing my point. If Palpatine could get out of the situation when he’s on a burning ship in space with no obvious means of escape hench why he wasn’t concerned,being chucked in a bottomless hole by Vader in ROTJ from a great height isn’t enough to kill him is it? Do you see where i’m getting at now. Did he actually die from that fall if he could somehow survive an exploding ship?

Come on Mace out fought him in the fight. He just turned the situation into a positive when Anakin arrived. Your giving the emperor TOO MUCH credit.
There’s no way Palpatine planned himself to be force pushed against the wall knocking his light saber out the window in the process.

I see.Well I always assumed there was something at the bottom of that pit like some sort of magnetic field.Or maybe he was just getting old :stuck_out_tongue:

Still I don’t think he could survive an explosion.He was just confident in Anakin’s abilities.Just like in his combat with Mace.He was confident Anakin would show up.It think it has to do with fate.

1. I’m sure Palpatine had another means of escape that he could have turned to. Something he could not have done in the fight vs. Luke and Vader in ROTJ.

2. Palpatine didn’t choreograph the entire fight, but knew that he didn’t need his lightsaber (most likely) to defeat Mace. He was hardly even trying. The only reason why he got hurt was because he was hitting himself with his Force Lightning. All he had to do was stop, and roll out of the way. If he was in that much pain/mortal danger, why was he not even tired or concerned about his wounds at the end of the fight? Not even Yoda could take him. What makes you think Mace could?

That were n’t his wounds that what he really looks like. I think that he couldn’t maintain his disguise while using the force lightening to attack Mace.
Remember he seemed drained at this point hench why Mace was able to hold up against the lightning. Once mace got angry did Palpatine seem to get stronger which makes the line “let me feel your anger” significant because he feeds off it.

Mace out did him in a light sabre battle not in a force battle. by the time Yoda tried to kill Palps it was too late palps had won and the jedi was dead.
besides he didn’t win that battle he was evenly matched. Yoda ran away when the reinforcements arrived. Yoda would have to not only fight Palps but a dozen of Clone troopers as well as the Militry ships.

Something else to chip into the Windu-Palpatine confrontation - we can see that Palpatine wasn’t in any way exhausted by the quarrel by virtue of the fact that he unleashes a crackling ethereal tempest to absolutely immolate the Jedi Master barely a few seconds after mewling pathetically “I’m too weak…”. Palpatine could easily have thwarted Windu - let us not forgot that he hacked his way through three other Jedi Masters in seconds, which should have given Windu pause for thought even if he is of a higher calibre than most other Jedi. The fight was controlled by Palpatine from the very beginning - he acted his failure so that he could make Windu confess his own self-righteous megalomania to Skywalker and give him the justification to turn.

About Palpatine’s disfiguration - that isn’t an indicator of exhaustion, it’s just the explicit use of Dark Side powers (the Force Lightning) making his true self come out from underneath the human mask he’s assumed (apparently it says in the official novelisation - “he could see that the old face of Palpatine had gone. A shame - he’d rather liked it”). He doesn’t reimpose it because he uses it to gain sympathy with the Senate to show how much the Jedi have brutalised him. Think of Yushenko’s poisoning in the Ukraine.

Vader, in the original trilogy, could strangle someone from a considerable distance just by manipulating the force. Most likely, so could Palpatine.

I’d like to argue that Palpatine managed to kill Kit Fisto et al from the element of surprise (he scared me with that roar when he corkscrewed towards them), but since Jedi see into the future slightly (I believe), then that’s no excuse.