Sega sucks

This reminds me of the arrogant Sega of old, back when they sued Dave Zydkro for running the website sega-saturn.com. Shitheads.

Disappointing to see that. It’s not like they’re currently making any money off SFIII either.

I am annoyed like you wouldn’t believe. I deleted all Sega content from my Youtube channel, and I will not be renewing the hosting package on my shitty website which expires on Christmas Eve. To hell with giving them free publicity out of my pocket. Fuck this company, seriously.

I can understand why you’re pissed off. I see the fan sites we’ve made as resources for the players of these games. The free advertising for the companies who make them, that’s a bonus. It is insulting when companies don’t appreciate their fans though.

Since your site is quite small, I’d be happy to host it as a sub site here on TWOTA. It would be a shame to see it disappear.

There’s too much content that would be subject to infringement complaints, namely a lot of the MP3s. They’re all of CDs long out of print or direct recordings from games, but they’re bound to come out of nowhere and start bitching all of a sudden if they’re going after Youtube video clips.

I might do something with my Tumblr account that’s just sitting unused and retain the more unique stuff, such as the Albert Odyssey Gaiden artwork that came with the LE version of the game. That stuff isn’t anywhere else on the internet, and that’s Sunsoft’s property, not Sega’s. Given Sunsoft’s complete lack of existence, I imagine they won’t mind.

Appreciate the offer.

And lookie there. Another forum user on Shining Force Central reports having received the same copyright infringement notification from Sega.

Unbelievable.

There is no Sega anymore IMO. Also, I don’t see how that even violates copyright laws when it’s such an old game and it’s not even being sold anymore. Maybe they have gone to an extreme to protect their brand name and it has effected old videos accidentally. Either way, it’s sad to see how far Sega has fallen.

IMO, publishers don’t really see in terms of fans. They see customers in terms of numbers. There are some devs who fight that and keep things personal, but generally companies are disconnected from people. They only care if it’s profitable. I really hate it.

With crowdfunding really starting to take off, I’m looking forward to a future era where our money goes directly to developers and the publishers get to piss up a rope.

Well, if you need hosting for the blog and other things that are unlikely to receive infringement complaints, the offer stands. IMO, there’s not enough personal websites anymore.

Indeed. Obsidian mentioned that Project Eternity will feature themes that would likely be toned down if they went through a traditional publisher. I’m looking forward to seeing how some of these Kickstarter projects turn out.

I can’t see the image at the top (work filters) so I can’t see what exactly triggered this…

… but as I mentioned to someone recently, Sega have become the crack-addicted hobo of the gaming world. Whatever dignity it once had has been lost in favour of sitting around, coughing up crap occasionally, begging for change (to fund its foul habits) and shouting abuse at strangers.

So far as I’m concerned, the Sega I appreciated back in the day (though credit mostly needed to trickle down the chain of command a little) died with the Dreamcast…
… It just refused to accept its death with dignity. It refused to accept its defeat, and rather than committing seppuku as it ought have done, it resigned itself to an existence of shame and dishonour.

But then how many companies haven’t lost it?
Capcom’s version / sequel mania spiralled ever out of control.
Bioware got eaten up by EA… putting pay to any hopes that they might ever make a new game (rather than endlessly remaking the same game with slightly different decoration).
Valve made Steam… which instantly turned them from one of my favourites into one of my most hated companies practically overnight.
Bethesda recently threw their lot in with Steam too… so I carry a resentment for them too. Fuck DRM… seriously.

I guess now the only gaming company that still has my favour is Lionhead … half because they’re British, and half because they managed to shed their old skin (Bullfrog) and escape EA. BUT they’re in danger of falling out of favour since every subsequent Fable game is more dumbed down than the last.
… Well, ok, and Koei … or is it “Tecmo Koei” these days? Because the world always needs moar Dynasty Warriors. Always. And it isn’t like they do anything else… really.

There’s always something else to play, but rarely anything with any depth.

Sega basically lost its identity, or maybe it never had one in the first place. It seems that in the world of business all that matters is making money. I just hope that Sega maintains a high standard of quality. Top publishers usually don’t have a choice because anything sub-par undermines their brand, so they take it seriously.

I don’t even know what Sega are making these days.

[quote=“Geoffrey Duke”]There’s always something else to play, but rarely anything with any depth.

Sega basically lost its identity, or maybe it never had one in the first place. It seems that in the world of business all that matters is making money. I just hope that Sega maintains a high standard of quality. Top publishers usually don’t have a choice because anything sub-par undermines their brand, so they take it seriously.

I don’t even know what Sega are making these days.[/quote]

Sega of the old definitely had an identity. It was one of arcade gaming. Arcade perfection. They were exploring new frontiers in gaming, whilst Nintendo continued to be conservative.

But, I agree, after the Dreamcast died, and the company was bought up by the Sammy Corporation, things turned to shit.