Project Needlemouse

[quote=“Al3xand3r”]A sweet looking fan remake of Sonic 2 will be getting a demo release next week. Announcement and some screenshots here. And here is the video if you missed it. I like how this looks much more than Sonic 4. I mean visually since I have played neither. It just looks so good, it’s a very fine reimagining of 2’s visuals. Sonic 4 to me always looked bland and sterile, some elements reminded me of early 90s 3D FMV…
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/4258/wowph.jpg http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/974/wow2j.jpg[/quote]

Fan remix demo download. There are known issues like buggy loop exits but it’s cool.

Played the fan remix demo, it’s really impressive. Unlike Sonic 4, it doesn’t mess around with a working formula. The gameplay is close to that the old Megadrive games (unlike Sonic 4) and graphically it looks way better than Sonic 4. Unfortunately it seems the download links are already being removed for copyright infringement, so I’m guessing the game is unlikely to be completed.

There are tons of Sonic fan games freely available, many of them using ripped official content, I doubt SEGA had anything to do with the file being taken down from rapidshare. It was probably some silly Sonic 4 fanboys that flagged it as inappropriate/illegal. You’d be surprised by the lengths some go to in order to put down this project just because some players are loud about it being better than Sonic 4. The nitpicking it receives on certain communities is beyond belief. Quality art and design be damned, it’s apparently completely shit because it’s a little too busy for some to notice enemies and hazards and it could use some color tweaking, lol. Then again, SEGA might take action exactly because it gets this “better than Sonic 4” fame if they believe it could harm its sales…

Judging from the demo, the game is going to be better than Sonic 4 if it’s ever completed (of course, that’s because it’s essentially still Sonic 2). Since it’s on PC it probably won’t harm the sales of Sonic directly for now, but it’s certainly hurting Sega’s image. The game looks and plays so much better than Sonic 4 right now that you have to wonder how Sega is going to respond.

It doesn’t matter if it’s better or not, but if that’s what it gets hyped as online. If gaming sites start posting about it with taglines like “better than Sonic 4” then that may make SEGA act against it (although they’d look pretty bad in that case). If it’s just reported as an awesome fan game with no comparisons to Sonic 4 then they’d be more likely to just ignore its existence, like companies do for most other fan games based on their IP.

Sega should hire the developer and turn it into an official Sonic game.

The project website is up too, it’s simple but offers download links (normal and torrent).

This doesn’t look anything like a true Sonic game, but some dark Unreal 3 engine crap (yes I know its not U3) . Sonic games were full of colour, life and charm (especially the early ones) and this remake lacks that completely.

It doesn’t look as good as the game its meant to be remaking, sort of tragic that

I loved it. Felt like playing an entirely different game. Compared to Sonic 4, it’s a lot more full of life visually. New levels would be awesome though.

Looks beautiful, but looks a bit… big. Seems like there’s almost too much detail for me to appreciate.

I like it a lot tho, although I think the way sonic accelerates could look better.

Team Andromeda makes a good point about it not quite fitting the Sonic style, although change isn’t always a bad thing. Perhaps it would fit in with the series better if it were turned into a spin off, such as Knuckles Chaotix.

Sure, I agree that it’s not quite Sonic style, but I don’t necessarily agree that it’s “Unreal 3 dark.” There are tons of vibrant colors being used - they’re just using a lot more lighting techniques to give it some more variety. I don’t think they were trying to recreate the feel of the original games - just using the original level designs to show what they were capable of doing, visually.

I can appreciate why Sonic Team didn’t go as overboard in the visual clutter and over-saturation that the fan game did… but I appreciate completely that the fan game was trying to “turn it to 11,” so to speak. Sonic Team played it way too safe, IMO, in Sonic 4 (not to mention the horrible physics).

^ Completely agree.

[quote=“Abadd”]
I can appreciate why Sonic Team didn’t go as overboard in the visual clutter and over-saturation that the fan game did… but I appreciate completely that the fan game was trying to “turn it to 11,” so to speak. Sonic Team played it way too safe, IMO, in Sonic 4 (not to mention the horrible physics).[/quote]

I’m not knocking these people’s coding skills or anything like that. I’m just saying this feels or looks nothing like a classic Sonic 16 bit game.

Wow, talk about late to the party… I just played this demo… (Mac version, FTW!)

Mind = Blown.

I miss oldschool Sonic something fierce.

This is hardly old school Sonic though :confused:

/diehardfanboyism

[quote=“Snow Girl”]Wow, talk about late to the party… I just played this demo… (Mac version, FTW!)

Mind = Blown.

I miss oldschool Sonic something fierce.[/quote]

There’s a Mac version?

[quote=“Shadow”]This is hardly old school Sonic though :confused:

/diehardfanboyism[/quote]

No, but it reminds me of old school Sonic, and makes me pine for those days…

Yep.

The Mac download is linked in this topic, Gehn.

Snow Girl - what are the controls if you’re using a keyboard? I could not figure them out…

Enter Key on the Number Pad is Start, Arrow keys for motion, Space Bar for jump, direction + space bar = spin dash.

:anjou_love: